Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%
Default Ditching old fat clothes, how much confidence did it take?

I have noticed that I've gone from a size 16 down to some 12's. I still wear the 16's and a size 14 a friend gave me cuz I don't have anything else and am still nervous that I might gain it back. I've never dieted before so this is new to me. I'm swimming in the 16's and starting to swim in the 14 I have. How long did you guys maintain a new size before you had the confidence to ditch the old larger size? Was it a matter of weeks or months or did you get gutsy and just go buy tight pants that you could get on but knew you'd grow (actually shrink) into? I am in this awful "in between" stage. kinda reminds me of going through a pregnancy and feeling like I fit everything weird. I hate it. How'd you all do it? Hey... it would be neat to have a clothing library (No, I'm not volunteering to take this on, just suggesting it) and we can all donate our clothes and whenever someone needs to graduate down to the next size they can shop online free with only shipping as the cost. I'm sure there's got to be some of you who need size 16 pants and hopefully there's some of you who are in smaller ones than 12's who want to ditch them. The only thing is that the poor folks on the large and small ends would have to buy new clothes cuz at some point when people reach their goal they will stop ditching their clothes. Annie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:07

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I did the same thing, the idea from Dr. Phil. If you get rid of the bigger sizes, you will be inspired to continue on the downward spiral of weight loss! I've had two pair of black pants for 3 years, finally just dumped them! I also have a great pair of jeans I'll fit into comfortably in about 20lbs, so at least I have a pair of pants when I get to that point............

LL
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:11

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

If something gets to big it goes into a trash bag and when the bag is full it goes to Goodwill....I don't want there to be any comfort zone for me to regain anything I lose.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:19

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I am the same way. As soon as they got too big, I gave them away. I don't want to feel I can always just go back to that size. I DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE. Having no clothes in that size helps me to stay motivated.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:25

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I only wish that I had saved some of my smaller sized jeans that I tossed out a couple years ago, because I said, what the he#~, I'm middle aged and I'll never be that size again. Now I am that size and having to buy them all over again But as for the larger sizes, yes, get rid of them immediately. It would only be too comfortable to slip into them if you should start to gain weight.

Buying clothes can be expensive during the weight loss period since you are changing sizes over months. But it's worth it. You should be able to wear nice things that you like, that look good and that FIT, all the time. As you get smaller, donate the former size.

Once I drop one more size, those jeans are going to be my gold standard jeans. As soon as they get too tight, I go back on induction.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

This weekend we are having a huge neighborhood garage sale and I have decided that all my clothes are going for good. I have about 95% of the contents of my walk in closet out in the garage ready to go! Whatever doesn't sell is going to Goodwill. There is no going back now!
It is mostly size 2x and 3x and there is some really nice stuff so if you are in Rochester come to the Wellington neighborhood in Chili on Saturday!
I think it is an important step to take. It says this is a permanent change and I am never going to be that size again.
It feels very liberating. Not to mention my closet looks fantastic. I can see the floor and walls for the first time in 8 years!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:51

Ok, so how long did you guys wear the stuff loose? I mean, it's kinda nice seeing how baggy they are cuz you know you lost. I keep thinking how cool it would be to save a pair and then put them on and take a pic of me holding the waist way out beyond where it fits just to show how much I lost. You know, like that subway guy did when he held his huge pants up next to himself in the ad? And How you know what size belt to buy in the store? I've been punching holes in my belts but they're getting too long. I don't want to have to go try a bunch of belts on but I know they have numbers. Does it go by your waist size? Maybe I'll call my friend who is down to a size 8 now (doing the Prism diet) and see if she has any size 12's left that she's getting rid of. Then I'll go donate these. I need to go shopping but I tried the day before Easter and got really frustrated. I shopped the entire mall!!! All the jeans are those low cut kind that are below your belly button in front and down to your butt crack in back. I hate those! I won't let my kids wear them either. They're really disgusting. I actually saw a manequin wearing them with underwear poking up 3 inches above the waistline (actually hipline for those jeans) all around. It was really sick. They call that stylish??? When we were kids we would have been teased with the "Teacher, Teacher I declare..." phrase. Loosing weight shouldn't mean you need to give in to that. Annie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:40

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Ohh, I can't wait to "give into that."
I'm counting the days 'till I can fit into my low-cut hip hugging jeans. Can't stand to see that fashion on underage girls- but I'm 26 and getting into shape is damn hard. You bet I'm gonna show off in some tight, low-cut clothing.
But...that is strange that you can't find high waisted jeans. Big department stores will def. have them. Just don't go to the "hoochie" stores at the mall!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 242/178/160 Female 5'6
BF:??
Progress: 78%

I would immediately get rid of my fat clothes when they got too big. I just took about 8 sweaters out of the closet today to try to sell on Ebay.

Also, going to a thrift shop (Goodwill) and getting jeans in a smaller size down REALLy helped to motivate me. I have fit into every pair I have purchased. I started at 20W,, the first jeans I got at Goodwill were 18's (for about 2 bucks) then they got too big,,got 2 prs. of 16's and they fit me now... Also got a pair of 14 Levi's at Goodwill ($4) and thot Id shrink into them, they fit me right away!!!

I would go to my closet every month or so and try them on to see how close I was. I is very motivating for me and I am not spending much.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:38
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I would say to ditch the ones that are obviously too big, but keep clothes around that are one size above what you wear. You don't want to have TOM bloat or have pound fluctuation and not have those "comfy" clothes around.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:47
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%
Talking

I just packed up a suitcase to take to our local women's shelter. I figure I am going to be dumb enough to go back their I can pay the price - buy new clothes. It will hurt the wallet and act as an insentive not to go there. It's also easier to creep up when you have clothes that fit at a larger size. As soon as I notice they are tight that will be the point I go back to induction and get rid of the extra real quick.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 19:10

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I bagged up all my clothes immediately! BUT, they've been sitting in garbage bags in the corner of my bedroom for at least 4 months now. I don't know why I'm so afraid to get rid of them.
Alli
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 19:56

Maybe it's just superstitious. I've had 4 kids and it's like maternity clothes. If you get rid of them, you get pregnant. If you get rid of your baby clothes, you get pregnant. Getting pregnant is half the reason why I'm dieting. hehe I guess I'm nervous about that. But...I did just go over to my friends house cuz she had a bunch of 12's and even a 10. Now that's incentive. I don't think I fit a 10 since Jr. High school. hehe So, I'm sitting here with them in bags, afraid to try them on for fear that I'm not going to fit "Her" 12's v.s. the 12's I have here right now. I know that's silly but it would be such a bummer to see that I don't fit "all" the 12's available to me. Ya know what I mean? Like a setback. But once I get that courage up...and try them on and they fit (hopefully) it's off to the church drop off site with some size 16 pants. I hope they fit. It's funny...When she came over I gave her some clothes that I didn't fit that I picked up at the thrift shop because I knew she was small enough to fit them and never thought I would be able to. This was last year before I decided to do Atkins. Really nice jeans and shorts. She still had them today and pulled them out and said, "You will probably be able to fit these now." I sure hope she's right, that's a great feeling! Annie
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 20:05
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Annie, check out the Goodwill on Dearborn. There has to be something there thats just perfect for you to get past the in between thing with out spending a fortune. I just picked up a pair if 14's at Value Village and they fit, tho they probly will continue to for another 10 lbs
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 23:23

I actually did. But for some reason it was shopped out except for 1 pair jeans and a couple pair of shorts (and I live in the Seattle area- RAIN) hehe Anyways, I had the kids with me so I got frustrated really quick and went home with only 1 pair of jeans that fit and some shorts that don't quite fit yet, along with 2 pair that fit but after today's probably record breaking day of 80 degrees, it's supposed to drop 20 degrees tomorrow and be back to the rain. go figure. So...I will probably psyche myself up and try on these things my friend gave me in a few minutes now that the kiddos are all in bed and I can concentrate on being frustrated with how they might fit. Sound hopeful? Well, I am but cautiously hopeful. Then if they don't fit, at least I have a goal to look forward to and I know what to do...go to some other thrift shops, WITHOUT the kids. Annie