Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Did cutting it off help?

I'm one of the many who is suffering from hairloss and I was curious about anyone else who has this problem. Does cutting it help the problem? I'm sick of seeing it fall out by the handfuls and really want to do something about it. I've had hair to the middle of my back or longer for about 15 yrs now and hate to cut it but hate to watch it fall out and get thinner more. But, i want to know if it helped before I go and chop my locks cause i will be so unhappy if i get it cut and it still falls out.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:20

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I used to have belt length honey brown hair. Then a good 1/4-1/3 of it started falling out 6 months into lcing. I ended up cutting of a good 3 feet of hair off. It helped with it being so noticable in the shower/brush/vaccume. Made the ends look fuller too. Mine kept falling out for a good 3-4 months. Thought it would never end. It has stopped, and is growing back just fine and I am still slowly loosing weight.

It actually worked out real well for me. I was like one of those ladies on one of those talk show makeover episoded who have never cut their hair ecept for a trim. It gave me the added push to get a "real" hairstyle.

I highly recommend using the progain shampoo and conditioners. The do not have the rogain medicing in them but work ecellent for fattening up the hair you have. A blow dryer and mousse go a long way too.

Just think, a new hairstyle for the new you.....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:27

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

No. Cutting it won't help except that the ends might look better if it's gotten thin. The reason it's falling out is (probably) from some shock that happened to your system a few months ago - like rapid weight loss, or in my case I think entering ketosis. This is called "telogen effluvium" by dermatologists. For most of us, including myself, hair starts falling out approximately 3 months after the shock and sheds for another 3 months then stops. The cause is already over and done with, so there's not much to do except wait. I think taking good supplements, including biotin, might help your body recover from the shock faster. If your hair keeps falling out after several months there may be another cause, like anemia, thyroid problems, PCOS, or nutritional deficiency.

I know how you feel. My hair was nearly to my butt - I cut it to mid-back length because the ends got so ratty. It will take years for that to recover
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I am sorry you are experiencing so much of that I have a bit of thinning (my hair is thin normally - only part that is LOL) - and have noticed my brush is fuller. Cutting may help a bit to control it, but I don't think there is a real solution that I have heard of yet - if there is, I would love to know what it is!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

I cut mine just before starting this WOE half a year ago, from about 20in long to 1 in. It's been falling just like it used to do (I shed in spring) but on the bright side I can tell it's growing a LOT faster than before, it's thicker and shinier.
A word of warning: cutting it too short may make your hair look thinner than it does now since it's a lot easier to see the scalp through short hair.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:43
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I've waged a battle with my hair for about 4 years now. I take a form of Chemo therapy and have frequently toyed with cutting my hair and decided against it. I have it trimed and clean up the ends but I don't go for a short cut. It might ease up on the long hairs on the floor, brush, bed etc but it won't stop it from falling out. Each time the dose changes the falling out increases and then it settles down. I make sure I use a good conditioner. When it is bad I don't wash it as often as the hair is weakest when wet and the natural oils are better for it.
However, since it's our hair we notice the loss more than others do.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:19

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Damn! I didn't even think about hairloss before reading this post. I have below waist, super thick hair. Alot of it has always fallen out. But i just held it in my hand, like a ponytail, and there really seems to be less! I hope i'm being paranoid, but don't really think so. That's scary!!!! why would lowcarb do this? we're all alot healthier, and the only other change is replacing fat with muscle (at least in my case) why?
Oh. Thanks grimalkin.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 14:29

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%

A lot of mine was coming out a few weeks ago so I went and got a few inches taken off the ends, it seems to have helped.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:04

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I started losing TONS of hair a few months into doing atkins. I went from constantly breaking the hair ties from wrapping them twice around my hair to the point I have to wrap it three times. Cutting my hair (which was down to my waist before) to where it was barely touching my shoulders helped with it being so noticable. It also made me feel a little better about myself having a new hairstyle to play with because I was so depressed about all the hair loss. It's also a lot easier getting it up off the carpets and floors now. Mine was falling out at an alarming rate for 3 or 4 months but it seems to have slowed down a lot and it starting to grow back thankfully! I hope yours will stop fast for you. I know it's a frustraiting thing!

Jenn
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:07
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I was just relieved, after reading the title, that this thread is about HAIR!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

LOL! Me too.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:16

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I hope I don't lose my hair!

Its halfway down my butt and blonde and my b/f loves it that way...it would suck to lose it, but its always been really thick so if it just thinned a little maybe it would be ok....depressing thought to lose it... maybe taking hair vitamins would help... I seen some at walmart when I was looking at supplements.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:25

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

My profuse and horrific hair loss began around the third month. It lasted four months then stoped. It has grown back. If Dr. Atkins had bothered to mention this side effect, it would have weighed heavily in my decision to do Atkins.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:41
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Yesterday I went and got it cut to shoulder length. It was just way too thinned out since begining this woe.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:44

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:

How many carbs/day were you all eating when this happened?