Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default carb-saving...i have to stop this, help!

I keep my carbs under 20g a day. Usually around 15g to 18g. I have been on induction for three weeks this coming tuesday, and am going to move on to OWL after week 4. BUT I have a problem, and I know it might be slowing my loss:

I don't eat much during the day, between the hours when I wake up and when I get off work. By the time I get home, I have consumed maybe only 8g carbs by 5, and if I work til 9 I have had about 11g carbs. I have spaced out my meals and snacks and only eaten when I am hungry. But I am dealing with being a previous nighttime binge eater, and I still carry on this behavior. So anyway when I get home I automatically have a snack because I always am hungry after work, which is fine, but after that, I continue eating. As I said I never go over 20g. But I save my carbs up for a mini binge at night. I mean, I don't STUFF myself, in fact I have only stuffed myself on Atkins once, and it was not something I want to do again. Ever eat egg salad made with 4 eggs and follow it with low carb ice cream AND pork rinds? I felt like a hiefer. It was that experience that made me understand that fat and protein are self-limiting.

So if anyone else does this, or DID do this and found a way to stop, drop a line here. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

It seems like you're having good weight loss though? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:57
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4lemon
So if anyone else does this, or DID do this and found a way to stop, drop a line here. Thanks.

I did the same thing when I was on Atkins. It drove me nuts and then I recently switched to Neanderthin and stopped doing it.

Now I just keep to a winter-type paleo diet and am feeling much more energetic then I was on Atkins and there is no carb counting involved.
I simply plan my meals when I am hungry according to the rules of paleo eating.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:57
Registered Member

It's the eating at night thing...I hear it slows loss?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 19:12

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I usually eat most of my carbs at my evening meal - hasn't stalled me at all. It's a personal thing that you will have to work through - if it works for you great! Besides you are sticking to 20 carbs - so you are doing well - having only started this month your weight loss is right on track! I don't think I ever read anything in the book that says you have to have all your carbs in at a certain time! Good Luck
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 19:26

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

.........you just need to give it time....its hard to change habits...you already did one thing....and Im sure not long before you will change this one too...I see the beggining on your post here :-)......so....give it time...and Im so sure.....you will figure out the best solution for yourself...:-)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 20:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It kind of sounds like you are eating out of habit, nto hunger though. If it is hunger, then yes eat and don't worry. If it's just night time grazing, then you might want to do something about it. Set up a specific schedule for yourself if that happens to work for you. If not find something you can do in the evening to help relax. It might be good if you found a new hobby so there is no way your mind can relate it to food (such as movie = popcorn or computer = nuts).

If you keep your hands and mind busy, maybe you can keep them out of the fridge. When you do go get something to eat, take a moment to ask yourself why you are getting it. Is it hunger, if so how would you rate your hunger on a scale of 1 - 10. I think I read one person stating they rated satisfaction that way. 7-8 was satisfied while 10 was overstuffed and miserable. 5 ment maybe eat soon and a 3 ment you should of eaten a half hour ago If you answer your not really hungry, then just walk away and do something else. Maybe plan fo rone specific meal or snack, and just remind yourself at what time you have tha tplanend for.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 20:19
Registered Member

thanks everyone
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:03

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I usually eat most of my carbs in the evening too. I don't have an issue with the grazing, or eating out of habit. I think it's more that I'm used to having a larger dinner and desert in the evening...not at breakfast or lunch. I don't do it intentionally, either. I do TRY to spread my carbs out as evenly as I can to keep my blood sugar on an even keel...but I rarely succeed very well. It has not slowed my loss that I can tell.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 22:42

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I've always been used to snacking any time of the day. But I found after having kids I began to be more of a closet nighttime eater. I would always wait until the kids went to bed and then it was my time to have seconds on dessert or something I knew was around that there wasn't enough for "everyone" to have as dessert so I'd save it for ME. It also was a time to "unwind" from the pressures of the day and I'd have my coffee, Yes I used to drink caffeine late at night too, with my treat. It became somewhat of a ritual for me. I still have my ritual but on a much smaller scale, now it's with a small LC treat of 3 grams or less with decaf. I think if you're not ready to change the habits of late night eating, then taylor the foods you do eat to be less dangerous and you'll be fine. Of course, my first suggestion would be to drink a glass of water first and see if you're still hungry in 20min but late at night that will just make you want to get up and use the potty. Maybe instead you could go for something with more fat as Dr. Atkins says that helps fill you feel fuller. Protein works too. Then save a bite or two of something sweet (1 carb portion of an atkins bar or something) to finish off with so you fool your tummy and tongue into thinking you just ate more of that goodie then you really did. That's one thing I did on induction. I'd cut atkins advantage peanutbutter bars or those apple cinnamon white chocolate covered bars into quarters. When I wanted a treat I'd have my decaf or water and 1/4 bar and take tiny bites and savour every bit of it. I rarely ever even ate a whole bar a day but it was enough to know that I could have my quarter bar that evening and enjoy it. Good luck, Annie
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 23:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you eat breakfast? I mean really have something to eat within 15 minutes or so of waking up? Many reformed carb addicts don't eat breakfast and haven't done so for years. Even thinking about eating breakfast makes them cringe.

I discovered that not eating early leads to bingeing at night so eating breakfast is something you may want to do if you don't.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 06:57
Registered Member

I eat breakfast, I always have.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 14:37

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%

I eat at night too, but I also study and go to bed late. About how many calories are you consuming per day? What you are doing sounds normal to me, just keep the carbs low like you are doing and you will be fine. But you may want to eat less ice cream, it stalled me and other people have complained of the same thing.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:01
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I am always hungriest at night. Or so I think i am hungry. It may be habitual also...but I still do it.