Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 13:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
But the first thing one would want to cut down on (if they low-carb, or want to) would be sugar. Having sugar-laden recipes touted as low-carb, will only result in confusion, and bad results. Then we'll read all about how low-carb raises blood sugar levels!

Wa'il

Oh, I certainly wasn't defending their action. I was just observing that in order to sell the most number of magazines, they may feel it's necessary to make it appeal to the lowest common denominator

Like any controversy which seems headed for the mainstream, the message often becomes bastardized in the name of the mighty dollar.

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 15:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally posted by ellemenno
I just received the premier issue of Low Carb Energy this week in my mail. So far, from first glance at least, it appears to be much better than LowCarb Living.

Yes, I agree. Low Carb Energy is far superior to LowCarb Living. The latter seems to consist mainly of adverts, the former has far more substance. I know which one that I won't be renewing when my subscription runs out!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just recieved my Lowcarb Energy today. I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far it is great. The recipes have a range of carb counts to fit differing needs. I've already made the low carb strawberry jelly. I'm just waiting for it to cool to taste it.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 19:33

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Well, I received the initial issue of LowCarb Energy in the mail and am not impressed. There seems to be a cross over betwen ads and editorial content that strikes me as a bit too blatant.
More importantly, the advice from their "experts" was pretty shaky. Canola oil was presented as the best oil for cooking, way beyond questionable to wrong. The same expert sad to avoid saturated fatty acids, wrong with no scientific basis.
The fitness "expert" says that those who are working out need "absolutely" need more carbs to avoid muscle loss. This is absolutely BS as it is protein dificeincies that cause the muscle loss in standard diets.
Worst of all, Larrian Gillespie repeats the total nonsence about ketosis being bad for you because it causes the body to consume not only fat, but muscle and bone. Again a low carb "expert that can't tell the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.
All in all, very disappointing. Nyah Levy
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 05:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Have just received the latest edition of LowCarb Living, and I have to say that IMHO this edition is far better than the first.

It contains some quite good articles this month by such low carb luminaries as the Eades and Jonny Bowden. However, I still feel that it lets itself down with all the adverts and not enough recipes.