Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 306/293/199 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress:
Default Slim-Fast Shakes

Hi, I re-started induction after a run-in with some "Net Carb" lies that threw me out of ketosis.

Anyway, I plan on doing an extended induction and recently became hooked (I find myself drinking 2-3 a day now) on the Slim-Fast shakes.

Anyone with more knowledge than me think these might not be safe? They almost seem too good to be true. Here's a link to product information.

http://www.slim-fast.com/products/p...?product_id=585
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/205/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post They're finally getting the message

Looks like Slim-Fast is finally getting the message about low carbs. Had an old can of their product around the house and it had 42g of Carbs per one can serving!!

The answer as to whether they stall you is an individual one. Personally, I don't trust Slim-Fast, but so long as you read labels carefully and count correctly they would seem acceptable.

I prefer to make my own shakes by buying protein powder at GNC and adding my own special ingredients; they're especially handy for a quick breakfast.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 01:10

Plan: protein power
Stats: 197.5/185/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default warning

well i have never tried th SF shakes, but i will warn you of one things, check to see if they have sugar alcohol in them, for me i have been doing LC for 4 wks and have not lost a lb. which i thought was really weird because i did the LC things about five years ago and lost 15 in 2 months. i read something on this site on tuesday about some people being sensitive to sugar alcohols and that you wont lose. since tuesday i have not had any sugar alcohol and have lost 3 lbs. sugar alcohol is found in most LC candy bars, atkin bars, and i think shakes. some people are not sensitive and they lose weight. i had to figure it out the hard way
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 03:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I have been drinking the LC Slim fast shakes (one a day) since the 19th and have lost about 7lbs. so far. My only problem is getting enough calories and fat% in while drinking them.

I lost 35lbs. with the regular slim fast so I cant knock them. They have been good to me.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 05:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

You will be missing the important part though - learning to cook a new way, and eat whole, natural foods. Depending on shakes isn't going to help you in the long run with eating habits, or learning portion control or making choices. The shakes may work short term, but if you want this as a way of life, think seriously about leaving the shakes, and eating the wholesome way.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have been using the shakes. In the morning I have very little time to cook before work. I found I did have to take a snack to work, but the slim fast plan does promote having 3 meals and 3 snacks. They were filling for a bit until snack time, and I found a diminished cravings. Just make sure to serve cold and shake really well or you are stuck with sludge on the bottom.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:10

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

have to warn you peepz that the slimfast shakes (at least the ones here in canada) contain aspartame, known to cause stalls with a lot of people, including me!

i suggest purchasing the following brands (they're sweetened by only sucralose): Iso Pro Low-carb, Designer Whey, Optimum Nutrition 100% whey (sweetened by ace. potassium... doesn't cause stalls in most people... this is what i'm using now... and great value! only 44.95Canadian for 5lbs)
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 12:15

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

I took some of the Slim Fast LC shakes on my spring break trip with me and they didn't stall me. To me, they taste just as good as the Atkins shakes but they are less expensive.
And no, the shakes don't contain sugar alcohols, at least not the Atkins or Slim Fast ones. They have high fiber counts, which is good too.
I don't remember reading Aspartame in the ingredients. Course, that doesn't mean it wasn't there But they do have 2g of actual sugar per serving.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 12:20

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I don't think there is anything wrong with the shakes every once in a while as a meal replacement, but I don't think I'd do several a day.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 19:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The Atkins shakes in powder form do contain sugar alcohols now. THe new "spoon stirables" have sorbitol added. The canned ones I havn't seen sugar alcohols though.

I love designer whey and use it in much of my cooking. However it is a powder and I don't want to mess with the blender. The slim fast shakes are ready to drink, and low carb isn't available in powder at least here. I don't think they have asperteme, though they might, I'd have to look again.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 20:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I noticed a difference when I used the LC SLimfast. I got hungry a lot faster after one that I do with the others.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 22:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I love the chocolate ones.....I have one for breakfast every morning and they haven't stalled me. They don't contain sugar alcohols and do have lots of fiber. Plus you can't beat the price compared to the atkins ones.