Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 22:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 286%
Default Is it possible...?????

A relative of mine did induction and said she lost NOTHING! She even e-mailed a list of everything she ate and it looked okay, except just a couple foods that she probably shouldn't have eaten, like berry flavored cream cheese and sugar free popsicles. Does this sound right?

She says she has a lot to lose, so I am baffled WHY she didn't lose anything! I lost 15 pounds in induction, most others I hear lose about that also.

She was also eatting Atkins Quick Bread, 2 carbs of it a day. Was that wrong? Per the book you can't have that, but on the Atkins website it does say the bread mix is okay for step one. She also ate Atkins chips once I think which I believe is a no no in induction. but she STILL should of lost SOMETHING right??

She is begging me for help and I don't know what to say!! Can someone help? I will copy and paste her menu below.....

10:50 a.m. 2 eggs fried in butter=1.2

1 tbsp cream cheese, berry flavored, on my omelet= 1.5

Coffee with 1 sweet and low and 1 tbsp heavy cream(I measure it)=1.4 X 2 for 2 cups of coffee

3:30 p.m. ½ avocado (California one) with canned drained crabmeat mixed with 1 tbsp mayo and a tbsp chopped celery and a

Tbsp chopped tomato=3

6 p.m some roasted game hen

8:15 p.m. 4 baby back ribs roasted with no carb BBQ sauce

1 cup mixed green beans and mushrooms=3

Snacks during day and evening

1 cheese stick, 5 black olives, 2 hard boiled eggs with mayo ( I love mayo) one Atkins popsicle worth 2 carbs

4 glasses of water

Day 2

Breakfast bar-Atkins=2 carbs

Cheese stick

Coffee with 1 sweet and low and 1 tablespoon, measured, of heavy cream. ALL coffee is taken this way and I never have more than 2 cups a day and it is decaf

Lunch = slice of Atkins quick bread Cranberry Orange. MEASURED the slice to equal 2 carbs, and put butter on it

Coffee

Supper

Veal sautéed in butter and garlic

Shrimp cocktail with lemon juice…ate a LOT of shrimp.

Veggies……green beans and a salad with 2 tbsp ranch drsg

4 waters

Oh yeah…treadmill at leisurely pace for ½ hour and about 25 minutes yard work.

Day 3

2 eggs in butter

Atkins bread slice with butter

Coffee

Lunch

Advantage shake

Smoked salmon rollups with cream cheese and thin slices of cucumber

Supper

A ton of cocktail shrimp with 2 tbsp tartar sauce and lemon juice

5 waters

Treadmill

Day 4

10:30

2 eggs fried in butter

1 slice Atkins orange cranberry bread with butter

Coffee(2)

3:30

3 oz tuna, mixed with 1 chopped hard boiled egg and mayo

Supper at 7

Turkey breast

Spinach salad with ranch drsg

Snacks

5 olives

2 HB eggs with mayo

1 Atkins popsicle about 9 p.m.

5 glasses water

Treadmill and yard work

Day 5

10;00

Coffee

1 slice Atkins bread with butter

Lunch cheese stick

Coffee

Atkins bread with butter

Supper

2 lamb chops

Green beans with mushrooms 2 cups

Snacks

Popsicle

Sugar free jello

Water =4 glasses

Yard work, no treadmill

Day 6

11:00 am

2 eggs with butter and 1 tbsp cream cheese to make an omelet

Coffee

3:15 lunch

2 leaves of lettuce with mayo, 1 ounce slice of Swiss cheese and pastrami slices(2) made into a roll-up sandwich

Dinner at 7

4 baby back ribs with no carb BBQ sauce

Salad with drsg

Snacks

1 HB egg with mayo

5 Atkins chips (5 carbs for WHOLE snack bag)

Popsicle

Only 2 water and no exercise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 22:15
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know
Progress: 0%

I would stick to ONLY the foods that are mentioned here http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
I stuck to these foods and lost ALOT those two weeks. I think she should stay away from ALL Atkins packaged foods during induction!

She also needs to drink more water!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 22:46
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi jeni,

Based on what you have posted, my knowledge of the woe, and my own experience, I would have to say that she should have had some good results, and have no idea why she wouldn't. Wish I could point to something and say "this is the reason" but can't.

Liz
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 23:59

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

Well the reason is that she did not do induction, how can she say she did it and complain that she did not lose weight when she in fact did NOT do it? Induction means NOTHING but the whole foods listed.

Was she or is she in ketosis, do you know?

And possibly, very rare, she could be what Dr. Atkins refers to as "very insulin resistant" and require the fat fast to begin with.

My advice is to spend the next 2 weeks doing a PERFECT CLEAN KISS induction, then make some decisions based on those results.

Send her our best wishes, and give her alot of encouragment as this can really be done.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 04:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

you got to keep the induction clean, no lc junk. if you cheat at all you dont lose... atkins works if you do it right. carbs from vegs only!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 05:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Of course she wouldn't lose wieght with all those "little things" - there is an acceptable list for induction for a reason. She can't blame the induction plan if she didn't follow it!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 06:54

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I do have to agree. Induction is swtiching your body over from what its used to. I also agree that she IMHO she should have lost something, but maybe all those little add ins affected her system. I would start a very very clean induction. Let her know that the first few days are hard when you completely get off of sweets, but that sometimes the things you like most are the very things that mess you up. Best of luck to her. If she has a pc, get her on here. There are many others who have alot more experience and weight loss than I do who can be of great help!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 07:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I agree with the above. She needs to get DANDR and follow a true induction. Where were her veggies? Instead of the 3 cups at most it looked like she was only getting maybe 1 serving in a day. If the crabmeat she was using was imitation it is loaded with sugar and carbs. Whether she should have lost weight just depends on what she ate before trying this. If you could encourage her to do a true induction following Atkins list of acceptable foods including veggies I would be very surprised if she did not lose. Good luck.

Marie
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 08:38

Stats: 249/232/196 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 32%

Induction is harsh and it needs to be stuck to or else it won't work!!
Atkins Bread is a big no,no. Only the foods allowed should be tried. But even at that I find it hard to imagine that she lost nothing at all.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 08:52

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

When my mom started induction she stuck to it like glue, but it took her almost two weeks before she started losing. But once she did, it went really fast! To add insult to injury, my stepdad, who had started with her, was losing fast right off the bat.

I agree with the others though, your friend is eating a lot of foods that are not on the induction list. Its difficult to get into heavy ketosis when you are eating foods that are not for induction.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:12

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I'll add my 2cents in, but what she ate doesn't resemble induction. She should get the book, read it, follow induction and then let us know her results. It's induction for a reason, it works

LL
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

She should also try to avoid the bars and other sweeter things that contain sugar alcohols for the first 2 weeks. Even the Atkins center says that you shouldn't have more then 1 bar a day, much less 2 for breakfast.

Tell her to get rid of the Atkins bread, bars, chips, popcicles, muffins, shakes, and other junk foods. Junk food is just that junk, no matter if it is regular, low fat or low carb.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:24

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I agree with everyone else. Don't go with the bars and shakes and other things. I seldom use those and I am in maintainance. They are too good to be true. They will really stall someone. Just stick to the basics.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/205/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Low carb, not low calorie

I noticed for several days she had bread & coffee for lunch. As others have stated the bread is a no-no, but so is starving yourself at lunch, don't spare the protein and fat--bring it on.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 14:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Perhaps your cousin should consider the Schwarzbien Principle diet instead of Atkins. It is a healing diet that nourishes then heals and reduces the 'pollution " we subject ourselves too-ie the frankenfoods.
It she has been diet rotating before trying low carb IMHO it is possible that the protein is being used to rebuild(not bulkup but heal) muscles. Stick to a more whole food ,dark leafy veg,roasts not lunch meat,add some fiber and keep trying.