Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 07:46
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Freakishly Hungry

Yesterday and today I have been obscenely hungry, I am not sure why. Its 10am and I have already had over 700 calories.

Normally I stay between 1200-1400 a day closer to the 1200 side. Yesterday I was starving too for the entire day.

I know that sometimes my apetite increases right before TOM but I am not expecting TOM for another week-10 days.

Hopefully the omlette I just ate will fill me up until noon where I will eat something small and then head to the gym at 2 and get a 3 hour workout and then eat something at 5 and I should be able to keep my calories under control. I just dont know whats going on.

Could it be that my body is just telling me I need more than 1200 calories a day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 07:54

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hi MyJourney,
Often I get very hungry right before losing more weight so that could be good news I would suggest eatting when you are hungry, your body knows what it needs. If I stayed as low as you on calories I would go into starvation mode, especially with all of your exercise. Everyone is different, but I stay around 10% to 15% of body weight - for me that is around 1600 calories a day - sometimes more sometimes a little less. Good luck.

Marie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 08:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Sometimes this happens to me and I just go with it, but try to keep my carbs low. I had three or four mock danishes the other morning and just couldnt get filled up. For whatever reason, as long as I keep my carbs low, it doesnt ever seem to translate into weight gain.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 08:15

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

I've also found that I get very hungry just before a drop in pounds and I know of other people who have also experienced this

... but I also think that for your weight, your cals are rather low.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 08:16
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I tried to keep cheese sticks and hard boiled eggs around for them hunger pangs but my lil Monsters keep getting to them before I do. (LOL)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 08:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have this happen too, usually its TOM related. I don't worry about it too much, I just feed it. What works good for me is that Hood Carb Countdown milk. Its so filling and the calories are low. The last two days for me have been just like this. I'm eating an additional 300 calories a day. /sigh But my TOM should start today.

Usually right after things get underway there's an enormous drop in my appetite.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:13

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

Gosh I hope it signals a loss of weight coming. I too could not get filled up yesterday. Had TOM a week ago though so I know that is not the problem. I tried to eat lots of spinach salad, but was still hungry tried to eat some fats but that didn't work either. Usually I eat three meals a day, but I ate about 8 times yesterday. It was awful.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I'd suggest something higher in protein. For instance, during my ravenings yesterday, my salad which usually fills me up, didn't. But I found satisfaction in eating some chicken (with a curry sauce... yum!).
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 15:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/167/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 53%

i've also been way too hungry today. i am a little mad at myself that i have eaten so much today but its just one of those things, i quess. usually i am pretty good. this seems to happen to me once in a while. i just have to hope i didnt do too much harm. maybe its because the weather has been so nice....at least where i am.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 16:10

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:

I'm hungry too, having over 2000 calories a day the past few days. I am hoping it's cuz of TOM but I won't find out for a few days I guess. Roll with it, just keep your carb count low.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:37
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

I had a similar experiance and I blaimed it on the OoO that I was taking. I stoped taking it but now I'm not really sure what caused the problem. I went back on strict induction and it was almost harder then the first time around. Other then TOM related hunger I havent had to deal with that since reinduction thank goodness. But yes...when I was hungry I just ate and tried to keep the carbs and cals low. I don't think my eating more caused any perminant damage.

P.S. no matter how you handle this I would def. increase the water. Even if you already get enough it could help to make you feel full quicker.

Gabrielle
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:41
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I too get extremely ravenous at certain times of the month.

I do have to mention though 1200 calories seems a very low amount for your present weight. Perhaps your body is trying to tell you something.....like feed it.