Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 17:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default How Many Carbs in White Vinegar?

I make this version of white sauce to pour on bbq and baked chicken or bbq pork in lieu of bbq sauce, but I don't know how many carbs it has because I don't know how many carbs are in white vinegar (how come they don't have to put the carb count on the label - it doesnt have any nutritional info on it?)

Anyway, its:

1 cp mayonnaise
1 cp white vinegar (I go from 1/2 cp to 1 cp blending slowly to taste)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 to 2 small splenda packets
1 tbs black pepper

blend all in blender.

Anyway, this is GREAT on salads too. My son loves it but I'm scared to eat too much of it myself until I know how many carbs there are in it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 21:07

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Fitday says 14 carbs in a cup of vinegar...so not too bad per serving.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 21:38

Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 286%

Per my Atkins carb counter book.... WHITE Vinegar has ZERO carbs per tbs. I hope so cause I use it alot! I hope it doesnt have 14 a cup! YIKES!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 22:43

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijeni
Per my Atkins carb counter book.... WHITE Vinegar has ZERO carbs per tbs. I hope so cause I use it alot! I hope it doesnt have 14 a cup! YIKES!!!

I don't believe those are real Carbs...Remember that Carbs are calculated by difference. Anything that isn't a Triglyceride [Fat,] Amino Acid [Protein,] Ethanol [Grain Alcohol,] Water, or Ash [Vitamin/Mineral] is considered a carbohydrate. Vinegar is Acetic Acid [5%] and Water [95%.]

The 14g is the Acetic Acid. 5% Acidity x 277g/cup = 13.85g Acetic Acid. Acetic Acid is a Saturated Fatty Acid. Because, it is not a Triglyceride [3 Fatty Acids attached to a Glycerol/Glycerine Molecule,] it not considered a Fat or a Saturated Fat, which is what it really is. Since it doesn't qualify for any of the other categories, its considered a Carb by default.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/fat1.htm

BTW, Vinegar has something like 2 kcal/g, proving that not ALL fats have 9 kcal/g...as is commonly claimed. Shorter chain Fats have less Calories. The 9 kcal/g is based on the Long Chain Fats in the typical diet.

http://www.coconut-connections.com/res2.htm

Quote:
The length of the fatty acid chain determines the caloric value per gram of fat. Shorter chain fatty acids have fewer calories per gram than longer chain fatty acids. Hence, it is incorrect to say that all fats have 9kcal/g. The shorter chain fatty acids can also assist with weight loss because of their lower caloric value and most importantly, for their ability to help people feel satiated. It has been suggested that people on low fat diets, as opposed to diets balanced in fat and protein, actually end up consuming more calories at the end of the day, making it more difficult for them to lose weight. In studies comparing different types of fats it was found that shorter chain saturated fats decreased fat synthesis and storage capacity. 7, 10 Hence, dietary supplementation with coconut (Cocos nucifera) or butter which are high in short and medium chain saturated fat can be of great benefit in those wishing to lose weight.

Last edited by cc48510 : Thu, Apr-22-04 at 22:51.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Does that mean that the carbs in Balsamic Vinegar don't count? *doubts* I think they put sugar in it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:11

BF:

Ok folks, so without all the science stuff, is my white sauce ok for me to eat? Won't mess me up too bad? I guess even if it does have carbs that are real, it would still be less than 1/2 carb per tablespoon, so I think thats ok.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 10:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Does that mean that the carbs in Balsamic Vinegar don't count? *doubts* I think they put sugar in it.

I believe Balasamic Vinegar contains added sugar, so those carbs [the ones from the added sugar] are real. There's something like 2-3g of Carbs per Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar, only 1g of those is accounted for by the Acetic Acid. The rest are sugar. So, figure 1-2g per Tbsp for Balasamic and 0g for White Vinegar.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:34

BF:

Is there a carb difference between apple cider vinegar and white vinegar?

Also that quote that mentions coconut and butter... perhaps thats just one more reason Lily (AFwife) might be losing weight so well...she uses a lot of coconut oil.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:40

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

The venerable Dr. A said that balsamic vinegar was the only one to stay away from.

I think your dressing will be fine, sydnarella. There's no way a cup of vinegar has 14 grams of carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

White Vinegar...1T.= 0.8 grms of carbs. -0 fiber - 2 calories
Cider Vinegar....1T = o.9 grms of carbs - o fiber - 2 calories
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:15

BF:

I'm not sure what the difference is in acidity between the various Vinegars, they tend to be either 5% or 6%. At 5%, they would contain 13.85g of Acetic Acid per cup [0.86g per Tbsp.] At 6%, they'd have 16.62g of Acetic Acid per cup [1.0g per Tbsp] give or take a tenth or two. Anything over and above that may be true carbs. For example, 2-3g of Carbs ~ 6% Acidity for Balasamic Vinegar means that 1-2g of the 2-3g is not Acetic Acid, and is therefore Sugar.

There may be a trace of Carbs in Apple Cider or Red Wine Vinegars, since these are distilled from foods that contain Carbs, while White Vinegar is distilled from 196 proof Alcohol, which should have no Carbs [unless a trace was left over from the inital distillation of the Alcohol.] but if there is it would only be a very, very small amount...The Carbs are supposed to be completely converted to Acetic Acid [Vinegar.] The Acetic Acid is diluted to either 5% or 6% Acidity with Water.

Vinegar is a cool example of converting macronutrients from one type to another. It goes from Sugar --> Alcohol --> Saturated Fat.

Last edited by cc48510 : Fri, Apr-23-04 at 13:22.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:58

BF:

There's no way a cup of vinegar has 14 grams of carbs

I would hope not too.... but thats what fitday lists it as.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:59

BF:

Thanks cc

I'll be sure to only get the white vinegar from now on even though I prefer the apple cider kind, just in case there are carbs in it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 22:56

BF:

One time I was out of white vinegar and I tried to make the white sauce with cider vinegar BLECHHHH! It was so awful. Anyway, my son inhales this white sauce and I love making things that both of us will eat, because a lot of times they are few and far between!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Did you know that coffee has.. 0.7 grams, per 6 oz. cup???
Throw in a tablespoon of cream and that has 0.8 grams..!

So that one 6 oz. cup with cream will cost 1.5 grams of carbs,
plus if you add a packett of splenda that is a gram of carbs.

total for this cup of coffee is 2.5 grams of carbs. Yikes!!