Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 11:29
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%
Default Stupid Idea

I hardly ever cheat, and when I do, it's usually in a circumstance where it would be really hard to stay on plan without looking "weird" or if it's really worth it, like a very special dessert on a special occasion.

However, for some weird reason today, I was taking my nephew to the local diner for lunch and I decided to have fish & chips. For no reason. I took my carb blocker pills (keep them with me, just in case) and enjoyed my lunch.

But now, an hour later, I'm tired, still full, a little bloated, and feeling just a touch nauseous.

What a stupid idea that was. I'm pretty sure I'll get back on track and not fall off plan completely, but still, what a monumentally stupid idea this was. It wasn't special, it wasn't particularily good, I feel like crap and I'm risking my success.

Let's file this one away as a really bad idea and hope I remember this next time I decide I want to have a high carb meal at the last minute.

Valerie (who now only wants to nap for an hour or two)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 11:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I had a similar experience with Mexican food. I decided the lethargy and discomfort were yet another sign the Carb Blockers weren't doing their job. I wish they did, though...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:40
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Me too!

The added kicker is I forgot there is a birthday at work today, so there is a cake this afternoon. Under normal circumstances, I can pass up the birthday cakes at work easily, but of course, now, two hours after my carb-lunch, I'm hungry again and could easily go for cake!

No. I'm making a promise here, no cake this afternoon. I will not let a stupid idea turn into the beginning of the end of this. I will NOT have cake.

Valerie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:28
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Hang on!! You're going to get past the cake. You're right to not let one mistake turn into TWO, then maybe three when the crash happens after the cake and you find yourself thinking some pasta would be good, since you already had the cake... I find myself all but beating myself over the head with my Dr Phil book to keep from the "all or nothing" thinking that leads me down the "I've already blown it, so I might as well make a day of it! I know for me, that can easily lead to "I've blown it today..might as well have the weekend off..."

You can do it!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:59
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I find myself all but beating myself over the head with my Dr Phil book to keep from the "all or nothing" thinking that leads me down the "I've already blown it, so I might as well make a day of it! I know for me, that can easily lead to "I've blown it today..might as well have the weekend off..."

So true....

Do you ever notice that if you eat a big dinner with more carbs than you should have had, that you "wake up hungry" and you really have to "bite the bullet" (not the carbs) to be good that next day. It's a vicious cycle at times.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:26
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

This isn't exactly on the topic here but that never stops me from rambling

About the - "Well I've blown it now" or "might as well be shot for a sheep as a lamb" idea. We all know that it isn't so and that we could stop right there and then and do no further damage, but that idea always seems to lead us to just have more since we've "already blown it" - what I've been doing lately even if I figure I've totally screwed up is entering it all into Fitday - and guess what!!! sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised to see that although you are over your allowance for the day - it's no where near as bad as you might have thought. I used to not put my cheats into Fitday, thinking the totals would be more than I could bear to look at, but now I find it helps me see that what I did is usually not half as bad as I thought and I can then get right back on track.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:36
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up

KoKo,
Right on. The other day I almost ate all of a double batch of low-carb pancakes.

I figured I would be WAYYYYYY over - I promised I would enter everything I eat into CabLog no matter what.

Guess what? I was about 4 grams over quota.

I will always eat when I'm hungry and let other people beat me up if they want to; I hate beating myself up.

I'm on this planet to LIVE!

Tom.

PS I use a Palm Pilot with CarbLog tracking software.