Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

If you just keep a water bottle around you all day, you'll find yourself drinking it often.

I probably drank 3 glasses of water per week before I went on this diet.

Now I drink about 100oz each day and actually like it
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 21:30

Stats: 330.5/326.5/150 Female 67.2
BF:
Progress: 2%

I have a 32oz bottle at work and try to drink between 64ozs and 96 ozs. For some reason when I get home I don't drink as much water. But I feel better knowing that I consumed most of my water earlier that day. It also must be lukewarm water, cold water slows down my drinking.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:24
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I hate water too. The only way I can do it is to drink sodium free soda water, this way I can drink the recommended amount it's nice and bubbly and quite refreshing. I too manage to get a good amount of my water in during my workout. I never used to drink ANY water - diet coke, black coffee and red wine were my only fluids now that I drink about 2 litres a day I really do see a difference in my skin - I look a lot less wrinkly than I did before!!!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have to admit my complexion has cleared alot since I "forced" the water. I just do the best I can and try to get it all down in the AM so I dont have to deal with it. Sometimes Sat and Sun I skimp on it and I do get thirsty. However, I still hate it! But then again I dont like exercise either and have to do it. Anyone come up with any ideas let me know.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Your body's cells need water, not Crystal Lite and Pepsi. If you need to, add lemon juice to the water (and watch it, cause lemon juice has carbs!).
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:45

Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%

I too am a water hater. Before Atkins my only fluids were 2 cups of coffee per day and maybe a beer after work. The first technique I tried was downing a glass every hour I was at work... I would get my 8 glasses in that way but I found downing it caused some bloating. Now I keep a 33 oz bottle on my desk... I drink one bottle in the morning and then one in the afternoon.... it seems to work. I also usually drink another bottle if I go to the gym. Before water, I found that after an aerobics class my head would pound..... now that doesn't happen anymore. As much as you hate it, it is important.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:49

Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%
Default Question for Theoldlady

[B]"I tried the 64 oz. per day and got cardiac arrhythmias..." [/B]

How do you know the water caused the arrythmia? I ask because I have recently been forcing about 66 oz of water per day and have noticed arrythmia during anaerobic excercise.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:35
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

They make some really good flavored waters now sweetened with splenda (citrus, mango peach, apple pear, etc). I get them at Walmart and am not sure where else they are available. Give them a try.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:44

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%
Default It definately gets better....

I've recently begun Atkins again, 4/8/04 to be exact, and unlike my previous attempt began drinking the water in earnest. I don't profess to be a doctor and wouldn't even try to elaborate on the arythmia (sp?) but I do know that the water flushes your kidneys, as well as everything else, which on Atkins in very necessary due to the increase in protien we eat which has a tendency to "lodge itself" so to speak, in your kidneys. So healthwise........your kidneys really need it. Otherwise it has many other benefits:
1. eat a healthy portioned meal (less than what you might think will fill you) and then follow it up afterwards with a glass or two of water....viola!!! you're all full
2. want beautiful skin that glows, cheeks that are rosy and bright......drink that water and blush, foundation and such will become a thing of the past
3. drink small amounts throughout the day at you're perferred temperature and you'll be amazed at how quickly you reach your personal water goal
4. remember all goals should be catered to you personally, what's good for one may be bad for another
This is all to say.....I too was not a water drinker. Some of the complaints fit me to a tee "it makes me feel sick to my stomach", it just tastes bad, etc. But I have to admit that by the 3rd week it had already become a habit and now I prefer it and like it. I drink an 8oz bottle on the way to and from the office and 1 1/2 to 2 1.5 Liter bottles at work and anywhere from 1-5 glasses at home. Not everyone can handle the same amount I'm sure and I don't think anyone should attempt to mimic what's an acceptable goal for someone else.
Funny, I used to have this low carb drink I loved from 7eleven that tasted liked slightly flavored water......I tried it again last week and couldn't even finish it, it was so sweet and strong in flavor. Now when I'm thirsty, I'm thirsty for water, nothing else works and I don't have a desire for anything else. I do still run to the bathroom quite often and there's never an evening that I'm not doing the pee-pee dance with my daughter as we wait in our elevator to get to the 8th floor.......but I'm adjusting.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:47

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%
Default Are you getting enough?

this is from http://www.low-carbdiet.co.uk/

Water is essential to weight loss for those who eat low-carb. The minimum consumed in a day should be

Weight-----------------Liters
140lbs-----------------2.5
160lbs-----------------3.0
180lbs-----------------3.0
200lbs-----------------3.5
220lbs-----------------3.5
240lbs-----------------4.0
260lbs-----------------4.5
280lbs-----------------4.5
300lbs-----------------5.0
320lbs-----------------5.5
340lbs-----------------5.5
360lbs-----------------6.0
380lbs-----------------6.5
400lbs-----------------6.5

High levels of ketones in the blood stream can lead to a reduction in ketone production, therefore being well hydrated could aid in keeping the levels low and ketone production ongoing. Consuming enough water can have many other positive side effects: aids your kidneys with the processing of protein, reduces the retention of water, helps with preventing constipation, and reduces the levels of ketones released by your breath, which in-turn will reduce breath odor.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 06:01
Hanging in there

Stats: //130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Try flavored seltzer water...it takes awhile to get use too...but I love it..it took me a week to get use to it...I have to have carbonated drinks...I'm down to one diet pepsi a day..but I do drink lots of seltzer...good luck!
Des