Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:37

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Cooking with Whey Powder

I had asked a question about butter conversions for a recipe i love.. in that post i had made reference to the fact that my cake was not as fluffy as it should be..

there was a comment made that perhaps it was my whey powder.. as I thought about this i realized that the pancakes I make using whey powder are not as fluffy as I would like them to be either.. I would really love some big fluffy pancakes These 2 recipes are already killer.. perfecting them would be great!

I use Designer Whey Vanilla..

any suggestions for cooking with this brand? Have you found you need more/less of it or more baking powder or something? (im a bad cook so i dont know how to make something fluffy) Is it possible my powder has gotten 'old' or something (ive had it since last year but it doesnt expire until July this year)? I dont know that much about this stuff..

Is there a brand that would be more suitable for cooking? If so.. I would appreciate a link to buy some..

thanks in advance for helping this cooking flunkie!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,protein power
Stats: 134/118/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

One way to add fluffiness is to fold beaten egg whites into the batter right before baking. If a recipe calls for 2 eggs, I'll use 1 whole egg & 1 egg yolk in the initial recipe, then fold in 2 eggs whites right at the end. You can also try adding a little more baking powder. Gluten, too will help create a rise in baked goods.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 11:40

BF:

thanks for your reply! btw im from southeast KY
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 16:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Peapod, now that I know the brand of vanilla whey powder you use, I can help you with your conversion for Demi's lemon loaf.

Designer Vanilla whey has 24g per scoop, and, according to a member here, 1 scoop is about 1/3 a cup.

So... in order to match the 40g of whey the recipe states, you want slightly more than 1/2 cup of whey (1/2 Cup + 1 level T.). Those 3 Tablespoons you were using - were those heaping or level Tablespoons? Even if they were heaping, that's still no where near 1/2 Cup. Using the right amount of whey powder and butter, along with using very fine almond flour should give you a fluffy cake.

May I ask what recipe you are using for pancakes?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 22:11

BF:

youre brilliant!.. the dummy that I am - i own a scale and didnt use it (duh).. i just checked it right now and youre absolutely correct 1/2c = about 40g! you know i have an above average IQ, but most people here would never know it from my silly posts!

the pancake recipe i use is here (they really are fantastic IMHO): http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...506&postcount=3

Recipe Name: Whey Protein Pancakes
Category: BREAKFAST
Serves: 1

3 Ounce Cream cheese
2 Medium Egg
1 Tsp. splenda (or other substitute)
2 Tblsp vanilla whey powder
1/2 Tsp. Baking powder
1 Tsp. Vanilla

Microwave cc until very soft (no lumps), add eggs, mix until smooth. Add wp, sweetner, vanilla and bp. Mix until smooth. Cook on low heat on buttered frying pan.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 22:13

BF:

oh THANK YOU by the way!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 09:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod
youre brilliant!.. the dummy that I am - i own a scale and didnt use it (duh).. i just checked it right now and youre absolutely correct 1/2c = about 40g! you know i have an above average IQ, but most people here would never know it from my silly posts!

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Cooking regular food is pretty tricky business. Cooking low carb almost requires a degree in rocket science. This is cutting edge stuff here. Give yourself plenty of slack

As far as your whey powder questions are concerned, I think the brand you are using is perfectly fine for baking. There are slight variations between different brands (different sweeteners/carb contents) but the brand you have seems to be the norm. And the age of the powder shouldn't effect the texture of your final product.

Kywoman's suggestions are on the money regarding your pancakes. The one thing I would add to this list is trying more whey (1 more T.?). If that doesn't give you better results, then try increasing the baking powder. If you are still not getting what you want, then delve into the more complicated stuff like beating egg whites and gluten.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 09:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod
oh THANK YOU by the way!!

You're very welcome
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,protein power
Stats: 134/118/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

We live outside of Bowling Green. Originally from Texas, I really like it here. Kentucky is so beautiful, especially over your way. Cumberland Falls rocks!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:43

BF:

wow neat.. im orignially from up north myself.. its awesome here : )

we live near cumberland falls and the Breaks National Park.. we also have alot of lakes etc over here.. makes exercise very enjoyable for my husband and I : )

nice to have met you!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 17:10

Stats: 148/125/121 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 85%

I can't wait to try the pancakes! Thanks for the post. And I just found a whey at the nutrition store that has 1/3 less carbs than the others.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 00:12

BF:

cool LMmama.. i think youll really like these pancakes.. Im sorry i cant recall the Original Poster but they dont taste eggy at all IMHO.. they are a bit runny so you have to kind of push them into submission, but theyre the best! I would imagine they would be superb in a waffle iron!

youve got to try Demi's Lemon Loaf Cake and her recipe for Orange hmm some kind of muffins.. i cant recall offhand.. but look up some posts by Demi in the Breads section! she is the conversion queen