Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 12:39

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Any luck with varying carbs???

I am a Weight Watchers convert and in the WW forum, there was a lot of talk about varying points...more or less to keep your body/metabolism guessing, rather than settling into a rut. I wondered if the same sort of priciple could be benificial with carbs. It seems I was losing fine for a while and it is as if my body has adjusted to the new carb level that I eat at. Wondered if anyone had tried this and what were the results.
TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 13:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would avoid that if you're on Atkins. Eating too many carbs and you get cravings and the "munchies". Try to figure out where you lose best, both calorie and carb wise, and stick to it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 13:45

BF:

Thanks Nancy...I am guessing from the lack of response that no one has really done any of this...I was hoping for some true experience to go on here!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 14:14

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I actually do vary carbs, ranging from 15-35 a day, if I go above 20 one day, I'll go under 20 the next day, and up the vegetables. I believe you can indeed get into a rut, I hope varying periodically will help with any plateaus I may encounter, since I have a lot to lose. I'm trying to stay away from much of the processed foods, or low-carb versions of any junk food, instead sticking to cheese, poultry, meat, vegetables. I do indulge occasionally in Sugar-Free Jello, and I have whipped heavy cream and just eaten a couple of spoonfulls daily if I'm having a sugar craving, most times just that little bit of sweetness is enough.

I haven't eaten any fruit though, and I plan on adding two apples a week to the mix.........

LL
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:54
I'm Losin' It

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLucy
I actually do vary carbs, ranging from 15-35 a day, if I go above 20 one day, I'll go under 20 the next day, and up the vegetables. I believe you can indeed get into a rut, I hope varying periodically will help with any plateaus I may encounter, since I have a lot to lose.

This is pretty much what I'm going to try, also adjusting the cals somewhat. I have stayed with induction foods and at 20 carbs. Hoping the variations will make a difference in the slow loss times.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I don't know what carbs you're at, but if you're at 20 or less as the others suggested, you might consider trying to raise them. That has worked for some people. I'm experimenting with it now.

The idea of raising carbs one day and lowering them the next is an interesting one. I don't think I could do it, as I have low blood sugar and it would probably cause me problems. I'm up to 40 carbs per day now and it seems scary to think of having 60 one day and 20 the next. If you tried it, it might be a good idea to use ketostix to see how it affects your ketosis - to make sure you're not going too high to get out of ketosis. If you do experiment with this please let us know how it goes! It's a very interesting idea. Dr. A mentions doing this in pre-maintenance and maintenance so even if I try it, I'll probably wait until then.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 21:02

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

For me this happens naturally, but I'm happy that it happens. Less happy when they're high than when they're low, of course, but I do believe if you eat the same number every day your body will adjust to it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 21:40

BF:

This might be one explanation for why some people do better when they start adding carbs in OWL. Very interesting.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 23:32
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi!

First of all - you have made excellent progress in this short time.

If your weight loss slows down or even stops - it's only natural. It will pass.
I wouldn't go on 20 g of carbs for too long for other reasons - you can get bored and deprived. That is why we have to move to OWL. When you add carbs - add good ones: berries, nuts, avocado, yoghurt etc and not processed LC foods.

The bottom line here is - many people expect the weight loss to be fast and steady and to tell the truth - it never will be. At some point your body needs a break and all you can do is keep going.

Best of luck!!!

Alina
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 07:02

BF:

Thanks for all the suggestions/input! I may try to raise my carbs...and experiment with the varying a little too. The thought process behind the WW concept was be uping your Points, you would then boost your metabolism because it had to work harder to process the input. The by dropping back down, it would still be working at the higher rate...with less to process.

Made since at the time. I never really tried it on WW because I never hit a plateau...just fell off the wagon and couldnt get back on!

Anyway...I will keep you guys posted if this works at all!
Thanks again!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 13:52

Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

When I read the question first, I thought you meant that you choose different foods.

Like, you've gotten in a rut, having the same foods contribute to your carb consumption daily (for instance, having only green beans as a vegetable other than the salad).

Perhaps that's why OWL works for some - just a different glycemic response to something else (berries, for instance).

I know it's easy to get into a rut with the same choices every day. I did that with breakfast for a while, and then I decided that enough was enough - I need something different.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:26

Stats: 228/205/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default I Vary Carbs and it Works for Me

I am a big believer in the "computer" running our body. Whatever you do on a regular basis, be it form of food or exercise, your body will anticipate and make adjustments for. My husband and I both stay between 20 and 30 carbs a day except weekend, where we carb load completely at 2 or 3 meals. And I mean load. All the wrong foods, probably up to 150 carbs a day of intake.

I weigh in every Friday morning, so I have tested my theory every week I've been on Atkins. When we carb load, we average weight loss of 1.5 pounds over the weekend. When we stay strictly on Atkins, we average no loss at all during the same time frame.

Your body will do the same thing with exercise which is why you should vary your weight-training and your form of aerobic activity.

Now, I am NOT recommending this for everyone. All of our bodies are different and their response will vary. But this does work for me and my husband.

Jana
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:44

BF:

Thanks Jana...that is exactly the type of scenario I was talking about. Not an excuse to carb up, but you know, I too believe it gets used to what you are giving it!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:52
Italian Goddess

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/199/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm glad I found this thread. I lost weight pretty quickly the first 6 months, and now it's very slow. I know it's because of adding lc commercial foods at times, or being sloppy with measurements. What I find interesting is that carb load thing. My friend had a chinese food blowout one week and that was her best losing week! She dropped 2.5lbs! Very interesting huh? I want to read more about this.

thanks for the thread!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:43

BF:

I didn't realize you were talking about a carb blowout! I thought you were talking about doing something like, say you're at 30 carbs per day...then eat 10-20 one day and 40-50 the next. I certainly don't recommend carb loading, cheating, or refeeds (unless maybe if you're a body-builder) while you're on Atkins. He did suggest in an earlier edition that you might consider going onto ANOTHER diet, say low-fat/low-carb, for a period of time to shake up your body. But he did caution AGAINST going completely off any plan and just going crazy with carbs. Most people who have done that have been rather disappointed with the results and it does not fit in with a healthy Atkins lifestyle. Just my opinion.