Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 08:28
Low-Carber 4 Life

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 355/232/195 Male 6'0"
BF:(?/<?/<<?)
Progress: 77%
Angry Bulk Barns gone from Nova Scotia!

Hi,

I've only been following Atkins for 3 weeks and I'm looking to try some new recipes. There seem to be many recipes that use pork rinds. So far I haven't been able to find any.

Most of the searches I've done point to the Bulk Barn in Superstores. Now I find out that all the Bulk Barns have been taken out of the Atlantic Superstores! I've tried the larger Walmarts in my area but they don't even seem to know what pork rinds are.

Any suggestions, I was hoping to avoid ordering them online.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/158/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I know for me in Ontario. I can find them at my corner store and in some grocery stores with the chips
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 15:54

Stats: 230/149/125 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:

I am in NS too and I would love to get my hands on some pork rinds but unfortunately I have never been able to find any. If you do please post I would love to know about it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 18:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

SOmetimes they put them in with the chips and stuff like that. Do you have Zellers there, they have them. I haven't looked at Sobey's here, but I will. I know they are a Maritime store so maybe look there..My local Knechtel's an IGA Affiilated store has them. I'd be checking your local grocery store.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 22:03
Low-Carber 4 Life

Thanks for the suggestions,

I have tried a Zellers but they were a smaller store and didn't have them. Now that the superstores have taken out the bulk barns, I'll have to call around the larger Zellers in my area and see if anybody has them.

The funny thing is I've never tried pork rinds. I have been searching for the last week, spending quite a bit of time driving around and looking for these things, and I'm not even sure if I like them.

I'll keep you posted if I find any in Nova Scotia. If anybody has anymore info it would be appreciated.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 14:58
Low-Carber 4 Life

OK I found some pork rinds... I think

At the Zellers in Cole Harbour I found a product called Porky's Pork Puffs (Regular) They list pork rinds, lard and salt as the ingredients so I guess this is what I was looking for. (I though they would be heavier).

They are manufactured by Trophy Foods Inc

Here is a link Trophy Foods

They show 4 different flavors on the web site, but I only found Regular in the Potato chip area.

The website says they supply products to sobeys, so maybe I can get them to bring some in.

If anyone finds another product/source let us know

-
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 18:43

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%
Default I hope you like them

I found them here at Costco, and they were in a package of six - three BBQ and three plain

They were absolutely disgusting (my opinion)

I found the NN ones at the Superstore (the store itself - not the bulk barn) had them with the chips and stuff, but sort of separate - if that makes any sense.

I'm really sorry to hear about the Bulk Barn - we're moving back east (NF) and it used to be one of my fav places to shop.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 18:23

Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Yes that's probably them, they are very puffy. The taste is somewhat offputting to some. I ate them for a while when I craved something crunchy, but a little go a long way for me, and I've moved on. However, I did try a killer waffle recipe made with them. And with some sugar free syrup they aren't half bad and really don't taste porky.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 12:11

Stats: 139/139/122 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

There is a store in Halifax called The Newfoundland Store they usually have the best pork rinds. Give them a try !
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 08:01

Stats: 193.8/188.2/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 9%

hello you can find pork rinds plain bbq and ketchup ones at the bulk barn in Dartmouth I got a few bags on April 15/2004 just to let you know this post is reacent i put the date there lol
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 11:18
Registered Member

Stats: 330/266/230 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 64%

I get mine at Giant Tiger and they are the Porky`s variety.

The BBQ ones are better IMO than the regular ones.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 13:01
Registered Member

Stats: 230/225/190 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 13%

They're pretty easy to make too. They're just roasted pig skin. I buy it in a roll from Uppercut Meats at the Market in Toronto. I slice it into 1"x2" strips, sprinkle seasoning salt on it, and roast 'em on the BBQ (so they don't stink-up the house). In about 10 minutes, bingo ... pork rinds.

The best commercial ones I've found are from J&J Critters (www.microwaveporkrinds.com). They come in a plastic container, and look like little pieces of over-dried jerkey. You put them in a paper bag and microwave them popcorn-style, and they puff right up.

I picked them up in the US, but I think I remember them saying they will ship to Canada. They have a currency convertor on their site, so they must.

Their salad dressings are really good too. My favorite it Chili Lime Tuna Salad Dressing - because when was the last time you did anything interesting with tuna?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 19:33
Registered Member

Stats: 301/230/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E
They're pretty easy to make too. They're just roasted pig skin. I buy it in a roll from Uppercut Meats at the Market in Toronto. I slice it into 1"x2" strips, sprinkle seasoning salt on it, and roast 'em on the BBQ (so they don't stink-up the house). In about 10 minutes, bingo ... pork rinds.

Mr. E - I'm impressed. I also saw the pork skins at Upper Cut, but I didn't know what to do with them. I thought I would have to deep fry them so I thought it would be too messy. Do they puff up when you BBQ them?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:11
Registered Member

Stats: 230/225/190 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Yup - puff up they do. Stole the idea from my grandfather. When he cooked a leg of pork he'd cut off the skin, slice it into strips, sprinkle salt on them and broil them after the pork came out of the oven. Called it "crackling". It was quite a delicacy in my childhood. Course we ate 'em with mashed potatoes, so we all got fat. The Q does pretty much the same thing, & spares the mess. Some strips seem to puff-up better than others. Don't know why. Most people think they're pure fat, when in fact they're LOW fat cuz they're just the skin with all the fat scraped off. If you've seen the rolls of it at the market you'll know what I mean.

They're good crumbled over salad crouton-style. Or dipped in just about anything. They sweeten up good too - try sprinkling them with cinnamon & splenda. My favorite dip is maple mustard (dijon mustard mixed w/ atkins s/f maple syrup). Mrs.E will only eat them dipped in chocolate sauce (Walden Farms makes a passable l/c one).
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 16:13

Plan: none yet
Stats: 200/197/178 Male 6.0 Feet
BF:
Progress:

Hey,

I'm pretty sure there's still a Bulk Barn at the Bayers Road shopping mall...I actually noticed some pork rinds there and tried them for the first time last week. They might take a bit of getting used to. Btw, I go there to pick up the popcorn seasoning and pick up different nuts, I then splash some olive oil on the nuts and shake 'em and that lets the seasoning coat them,