Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 09:45
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default What was your defining moment?

Question to discuss:

What was the 'deal breaker' moment in your life that brought you to changing your eating lifestyle?

And/or:

Since changing to a low carb WOE, have you had a defining moment that confirmed that what you were doing was working, would continue to work and would pay off with great results?

It is always good when something comes along to 'close' the deal so to speak, and give you determination and focus!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

I got a good look at myself last spring in the mirror-- naked, of course-- and I was mortified, because most of my fat had landed on my butt, which I can't normally see (after all,...it is behind me! )

M
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 09:55

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

My husband was a truck driver and I went with him on a trip and weighed myself on one of those machines that you find in bathrooms, and was just in utter and complete shock to find that I weighed 325 lbs. I promptly went on Atkins on july 8th, 2000 and lost 78 lbs by our wedding in november of 2000, only to do a planned cheat for my wedding and gain almost all the weight back. I've been working to get back to it for years now, and have finally got myself straightened out.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 10:27

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%

I had my last and final nervous breakdown and being on disability I decided that if there was a time to ever start a new eating regime, it was now. I could sleep and deal with the withdrawals better at home than at work now. I was tired of the weight and basically told my psychiatrist to get rid of the zyprexa or else (zyprexa is extremely weight bearing - class action lawsuits are going on right now by others for it causing diabetes). I knew that if I didn't lose weight now that I would not be very healthy at 35 - that I would very well have a stroke or heart attack by then (28 now).

This is it folks. Carpe Diem. Do or Die for me. Medication or no medication, I am working with my psychiatrist on this one to get all in order medicine wise that will be most conducive to propagating weight loss.

Charlie Girl
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:24

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

My wakeup call was getting reading glasses!

It made me realize that time marches on, no matter what we think as we get caught up in the day to day.

Had a low carb breakthrough when I was out to dinner late last summer...and my column dress really did look like a column, instead of a pyramid!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:44

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

There was no single moment that caused me to try this WOE...I was just feeling heavy and uncomfortable and I had heard Atkins works, so I made up my mind to give it a try.

As for knowing it was working...one day, about 2.5 months after starting, I tried on a dress that had been much too small for me and found that it fit! I had been tracking my weight with the scale, but that just brought it home to me that I was smaller than I had been in years...

My loss has slowed to about 3 pounds per month, but I'm okay with that. It's not hard to eat this way, so I am willing to be patient.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:57

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%
Default my ~#^$$ doctor!

Last May I was seeing my GP for some female issues. She blamed it 100% on my weight. So I started working out at curves hoping that working out would be enough. 6 months later I had lost a few pounds and a lot of inches. I wanted to see more results and started atkins. Of course then I really started seeing results.

BTW - The doc was dead wrong about the female issues. Saw an ob/gyn who diagnosed me properly! As a result I will not be seeing that ~%$# doc again. The OB/GYN said she was uninformed and had prescribed meds that made the problem worse!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

1. Weight related medical problems (sleep apnea and all its related problems, stress fractures in my feet, back problems, fibroids, GERD, pre-diabetes, poor circulation)

2. Not being able to find anything to wear I looked good in for my daughter's wedding. (dresses look like huge tents on me).
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 21:10
Flutterby

BF:

You guys are awesome.. Rosie..my hubby is a truck driver too!

My reason for beginning this was a do or die thing as well.. I finally stopped running from diabetes... and pretending it wasnt there, because it was frightening to be placed on insulin injections, and then to see that I was not responding to the insulin injections, and it kept being increased, as well as oral meds, and I was feeling fatter and fatter, so very tired.. etc.. and the beautiful new career I had was flitting thru my fingers ( no pun intended..!)

But.. as I began L/c'ing... and the insulin actually began to be reduced, then finally when the Dr told me: You have beat the injections.. no more insulin for you Ms Dawn!" I cried.. and that was my point of no return... my 'defining moment'
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 21:29

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplydawn

But.. as I began L/c'ing... and the insulin actually began to be reduced, then finally when the Dr told me: You have beat the injections.. no more insulin for you Ms Dawn!" I cried.. and that was my point of no return... my 'defining moment'

Dawn that is incredible!!!!! I almost want to cry hearing that!!!! I know too many people on diabetes who wouldn't listen to a word I'd say w/ regards to Atkins. One of them died. Your recovery is BEAUTIFUL and MIRACULOUS!!!!

GOD BLESS,

Charlie Girl
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 07:01

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

My Defining Moment came when DH and I were talking about having another child. DH didn't want to do it until I lost some weight - he was afraid for my health because I gained 25 lbs with my first pregnancy. I told DH I'd never hit the 250 mark...well, low and behold - those stupid numbers were glaring right at me on the scale! I did what I said I wasn't going to do! So I tried Weight Watchers (I lost about 30 lbs on WW in the past) but this time it just wasn't working. I was hungry all the time and the weight wasn't budging. So I decided to try Atkins. Granted I've only lost about 15 lbs since January - but I feel so good - my pants are hanging off me - I'm losing slowly but surely and I'm not hungry and I can eat a lot of the stuff I love!! I'm not even close to my goal yet, but when I get down to 200 - we'll start trying for another child.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 07:15

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Was thinking about what a female version of me would look like.

Realized that a 5' 6" female version of me would be about 240lbs.

Then thought, 'Would I find myself attractive?'

The answer was a very firm 'No.'

I went on the diet soon after.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 07:44
Flutterby

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleez
Dawn that is incredible!!!!! I almost want to cry hearing that!!!! I know too many people on diabetes who wouldn't listen to a word I'd say w/ regards to Atkins. One of them died. Your recovery is BEAUTIFUL and MIRACULOUS!!!!

GOD BLESS,

Charlie Girl

I am blessed.. and it is miraculous... we tend to think miracles have to be these big explosive kinds with lots of fanfare and no help from us.. but I believe God works miracles in so many different ways.. sometimes.. we have to move, so God has something to work with!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 14:00

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 239/235/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Who wants to know?
Progress: 4%

My moment came when DH and I were discussing having our first child and I froze in horror at getting pregnant at my current weight. Would I put myself and my child at risk? How much would I gain and how difficult would it be to lose? Will I be able to play with my child and not be out of breath? Will I be able to fun stuff with my kids without feeling embarrassed...trips to Disney World etc. So, my defining moment was love for a child that I am yet to conceive
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 15:39

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I started getting old people diseases and I didn't think I was old. My diabetes was getting worse and worse and I couldn't go on ignoring it. My blood pressure was rising and I couldn't stop it. I gained weight after I had my first born (threw up all nine months during pregnancy and lost weight). I got a good look in the mirror and decided to go on a diet. Which I did periodically for 21 years - lose a few pounds, gain them back with more. I finally realized that nobody is responsible for my health problems and weight problems but me. I took responsibility for every bite that goes in my mouth. I'm not weak, and I can do this. (I tell myself that everyday).