Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.5/160/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Question Doing DNAR during fasting ( Ramadhan0

Hi, I hv a question to you about doing DNAR during fasting, as a Muslim i hv to do fasting that will be started next week for a month ( during Ramadhan) normally after breaking the fast we used to drink the sweet things and eat rice for dinner etc , can I hv this stuff and more carbohydrate eating ...?????.
I hv follow attkins since 20 Sept 2001 and so far hv lost 17.6 LB ( 8 kgs). Can some body help me please
rgds
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 17:45

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Isral-H

I notice by your profile that you have read DANDR, and that book tells you what foods you can and cannot eat while following the Atkins low-carb plan. Rice and sweet *anything* are not on the plan.

Having said that, you have a conflict in that your religion and culture dictates that these food items may be important to your schedules of worship.

You will not be adversely affected if you moderately engage in the foods that are traditional and important. On the other hand, if you can decline without offending anyone or yourself, then by all means do.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 18:51

BF:
Default Doing DNAR during Fasting ( Ramadhan)

Thanks LC sponge for your advice ,
I will try to avoid eating sweet thing and eating rice during fasting Ramadhan) eventhough it rather difficult .

In Indonesia normally during fasting we eat early in the morning around 04:00 AM in . and after that stop eating and drinking until 18:00 hrs , we break the fast +/- 18 :00 hrs in the evening .

Since this become my first Ramadhan without eating rice and drinking syrup I my hv to modify eating habit little by little , probably I will take more fruits . And at the same time I my hv to check my keton level to make sure that I still in Ketosis mode.
Thanks anyway for your advise
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 19:22
Registered Member

Stats: 207/200.5/140 Female 62 inches
BF:43%
Progress: 10%

Hi there!
I don't know much, if anything, about Ramadan (other than it used to make my physics teacher very cranky while he observed it). So please don't take this the wrong way.
Does it have to be carbs when you break your fast each night? Can you not have meat? or veggies? Could the sweet drink not be replaced with a sweet-tasting low-carb drink?
I don't know the "rules" of Ramadan. Could you maybe post a brief outline of the holiday, for those of us who aren't familiar with it?
Thanks in advance!
Michelle
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 19:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Michelle
(other than it used to make my physics teacher very cranky while he observed it).

Was he a smoker? Just a guess.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 19:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Irsal!

There's no added difficulty in low-carbing in Ramadhan. High-carbs are just bad for you period. In facts, daily fasting, intensifies the negative effects of sugar and carbs due to insulin spikes. Just make sure you break the fast with fluids first, like a good low-carb soup or chicken broth. Meats can be hard as the first meal.

Ramadhan kareem,

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:14

BF:
Default Doing DNAR during fasting (Ramadhan)

Hi Michelle and Tamarian thankyou for your reply

Michelle ask the following :
Does it have to be carbs when you break your fast each night? Can you not have meat? or veggies? Could the sweet drink not be replaced with a sweet-tasting low-carb drink?
I don't know the "rules" of Ramadan. Could you maybe post a brief outline of the holiday, for those of us who aren't familiar with it?
No it does not have to be carbs when breaking the fast each night , it is only we use to do it before , i would like to hv low-carb drink but I do not know to much about this , is it some thing like low calory syrup can you give me the some ide idea.
Meat and veggie certainly we can eat. we only forbidden to eat and drink during day light.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:50

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hello Irsal_H,
I'm familar with the benefits of fasting as I've read a lot about it and used to practice it regularly.

The idea behind eating sugar (syrupy drinks and sugary foods) is that when fasting, the body has been without glucose (fuel)throughout the day, and they want a quick fix to restore the body's glucose (creating a huge spike in blood sugar, as was mentioned).

BUt, YOUR body doesn't burn glucose for fuel in Altkins, remember? YOUR body burns fat for fuel . So if you break the fast with all that sugar your body is going to feel like, umm, well lets just say that it'll be very hard on your body to adjust to going into glucosis and then back into ketosis (if you're lucky and if you don't eat too much sugar). Your body is going to tell you that it's unhappy, verrry unhappy.

Listen to what Wa'il says and break your fast first with a light soup or broth. Not as festive or traditional, but good for you. Be sure to put salt in it. THis soup will restore electrolytes and get the 'juices' in your digestive system started back up and ready to digest the big meal. Then stay within your plan's daily carb and calorie count as you enjoy your evening foods.
For some low carb festive food ideas, visit http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...p?forumid=41&s=

Be sure that you increase your water intake, and take your supplements.
It sounds like Wa'il might observe Ramadhan, you might want to ask him how he does it.
Happy Ramadhan.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:54

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Was he a smoker? Just a guess.
You can't smoke either? Can you engage in other pleasurable activities?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:27
Registered Member

Quote:
No it does not have to be carbs when breaking the fast each night , it is only we use to do it before , i would like to hv low-carb drink but I do not know to much about this , is it some thing like low calory syrup can you give me the some ide idea.

What I meant by low-carb drink was maybe a diet soda, or Crystal Light, or Italian soda (which, I believe, is cream, soda water, and sugar-free syrup).

The reason I asked about the carbs was that it almost makes it sound like you are dieting, and each night the diet is over and you get to splurge on all the foods you couldn't have during the diet. I realize this isn't the case, but I know for Lent, when i gave up chocolate or candy or whatever, that item was the first thing I wanted to eat on Easter morning.
Not sure what i will give up this year for Lent, since all my traditional sacrifices are carbs and are already gone...maybe I'll try going without AS?

Let us know how you decide to break your fast...
Thanks!
Michelle
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 06:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally posted by Ka3n
You can't smoke either? Can you engage in other pleasurable activities?

Tee hee - I understood Wa'ils comment to be a suggestion that a smoker of a certain material would find a food-fast particularly cranky-making. Which would make them a *smoker* with a *T*.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 08:55

Plan: Low Carb/VSG
Stats: 347/173/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 118%
Talking Well, if I remember correctly......

people have to abstain from sex during Ramadan, so that's probably would make your teacher cranky....hehe...
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 11:30
Registered Member

Teaching us made him cranky the rest of the year, fasting just made it more pronounced.
I grew up in a really small town, where everyone was either Catholic, Protestant, or no religion. that's how they divided us up for religion class. (And no I didn't grow up in Ireland, it was a small town in Quebec, actually two small townsover the span of 18 years...) So we didn't learn too much about other faiths. i didn't even realize that there were other faiths until Grade 5 when this girl transferred to our school who's mom was a Jehovah's Witness. Kind of naive, I know.
Anyway, so I did a little research about it, and now I know more.
Interesting reading.
Thanks
Michelle