Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 06:37

Plan: Atkins, KISS
Stats: 235/200/183 Male 6' 1
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default New Harvard Food Pyramid

Interesting, or at least I thought so.

Kind of slams the USDA and implies they are influenced by dairy & meat lobbies.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/now/aug24/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's or similar
Stats: 186/167/160 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default New Harvard Food Pyramid

I took a look at it and it doesn't look too much different than the current Food pyramid.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 08:45

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado

Kind of slams the USDA and implies they are influenced by dairy & meat lobbies.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/now/aug24/

The USDA pyramid looks more like they were influenced by the grain lobby-- 6 to 11 servings of grains per day!

Willett is still suffering from saturated fat phobia, and recommends polyunsaturated vegetable oils in large quantities as a substitute (half the base of his pyramid). If this advice is taken up en masse, it will be a new development in human diet and Americans will again be guinea pigs. Lowfat---->Vegetable fat; Fryingpan---->Fire?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkuhns
I took a look at it and it doesn't look too much different than the current Food pyramid.

I agree. Looks like a tweaked version of the old one. I think I'll pass on making the bulk of my diet bread (whole grains or not).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 00:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Glad I found this thread. Dh was telling me that Discover magazine had an article recently debunking the current food guide pyramid. Got kind of excited. Didn't get much info off the Discover website other than the name of the guy debunking it - Willet. So now I see what it's all about...not much.

It's hard for me to believe that this guy thinks the little bitty ole dairy and meat portions of the current pyramid mean that it's driven by dairy and meat industries. How ridiculous! It's obvious that it must be driven by processed grain industries - 11 servings!!!

Anyway...thanks for posting this...glad I didn't waste any time or money trying to get that edition of Discover.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 04:39
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
You’d be better off with scrambled eggs cooked in corn oil

That line still bugs me! You should not cook in corn oil.

I still think the atkins pyramid looks the best, but that may be part of a personal bias too.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:22

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

This was in Scientific American in the January 2003 issue. It was mentioned here on the news forum.

I think the pyramid is very different form the government one. Whole grains and unsaturated fats at the bottom,pProcessed carbs at the top. Very close to what maintence can be.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 13:33

BF:

I don't think it's similar to what maintenance would be...I don't foresee me ever eating more grains than veggies. Even if we are talking about whole grains. The whole bottom is split between whole grains and vegetable oils. The meat and dairy are split at the very top of the pyramid. Even in maintenance phases I'm not sure you should be eating less meat than anything else. Doesn't seem like much of an improvement at all - if any. It's still basically 'fill up on grains and eat very limited amounts of meats...which sounds eerily like the current recommendations.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:52

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Looks a lot like maint. to me except telling you to sparingly use the red meat and butter. Then again, I am vegetarian (and have no problem losing on higher carbs then most) so I probably eat differently then most typical Atkin followers.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 19:36

BF:

Elsah....so do you think you'll be eating more grains than veggies during maintenance? That's great! I'm pretty sure I won't be able to. I'm still struggling with low blood sugar symptoms even after being at 20 grams carbs for 9 months and moving slowly up the carb ladder. I suppose I'll always have to watch my grain intake.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 20:23
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I dont really plan on eating much grains at all. Certainly not daily, maybe a couple of times a week if that.

Veggies are a staple for me and I intend on eating plenty daily till the day I die.

I do not want to eat tons of polyunsaturated oils ever.
I use a high quality extra virgin olive oil on my salads and for light sauteing. The only polyunsaturated oils I get are in my supplements. I take borage oil for GLA and Cod Liver Oil for EPA and DHA. I use ghee which has a high amount of CLA and I use coconut and red palm oils which are both very saturated. I also like to grind up flax seeds on my salads sometimes.

I dont believe tons of polyunsaturated oils are good for you and I try and keep my fats balanced with mono and saturated at the highest and the least amount of polys.

The only part of that pyramid that looks close to maintenance for me is the white stuff at the tip... and even then, on my pyramid, I just wouldnt have them there at all.

I think the Atkins Pyramid is closer to what I will be eating like.