Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: strictly BFL
Stats: 183/166,4/158 Male 180 cm
BF:22%/18%/12%
Progress: 72%

That's when I realized that my gym doesn't approve of BFL - the trainer told me I needed to do high reps at a lighter weight to tone rather than build muscle, then she gave me examples of people she knows that did BFL and barely lost any weight or body fat - that the program is meant for men. I have disagreed with her and love BFL but...I'm feeling a little discouraged right now.

What your trainer said is absolute crap!

_Everbody who has some knowledge will tell you that high reps with lighter weight is much less efficient. This is a training for 'wimps', who sit on the legg press machine reading the latest fashion ads and fear of damaging their make up.
_toning rather than building muscles is a myth by the gyms to keep fitness orientated mummies in the gym who don't want to work out hard. There is no special training program for women which is better than training for men (except that some women are sometimes interested in training different muscles). Contrary to men women don't built large muscles as long they don't take drugs. Which means you will look much better with hard, heavy training, but you will never look like a female body building 'monster'. This won't happen! But you will replace fat with muscles which means your body will burn much more calories and of course your physique will look much better after some time.
_Everbody who has some knowledge will confirm, that free weights are much more effective than any machine, but using machines is preferred by almost all studios since they need better schooled and more trainers for free weights, who of course will cost more money.
_Everbody who has some knowledge is against training longer than 60 minutes! Training for two hours is absolutely stupid and extremely counterproductive. Only BB's on steroids are able to train long hours. One of the main rules of weight training is: more is NOT more, concering training hours. Some of the best natural BBs even follow the HIT program: only 30 minutes max. 1-3 times a week.
_Everybody who has some knowlege recommends shorter, but more intense cardio sessions. HIIT (like BFL) or IV (Interval Training) is the best training for burning fat. And it is not recommended to combine an intense workout with intense cardio.

Finally: If others in your studio say that you look much better, trust them and take this as a proof that BFL works for you! Don't trust scales or electric tools to measure bodyfat - trust the mirror, a tape measure and your trousers!

Maybe you should think about changing the gym on the long run, or at least the trainer....

Last edited by superflat : Tue, Apr-20-04 at 14:20.