Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 06:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/147/125 Female 5 ft 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Day one is over...have a question....

Hi again, Day one is done and I put all my foods eaten into fitday. Total carb count is 30, but 11 carbs came from
veggies. I never understood net carb counts so do I subtract the whole 11 veggie carbs from 30 for a total of 19 carbs or what??? I am hoping that is right, otherwise I have to cut back more on carbs. All input is appreciated and I did update my journal. I am feeling better already.

Have a great day everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 06:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Subtract your total fiber from your total carbs, and that's the number that matters.

If you like, you can make a public fitday journal, and we can have a look into the specifics!

Last edited by kyrie : Tue, Apr-20-04 at 06:47.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 11:13

Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%

Kyrie is correct, subtract the fiber carbs if you like. But if I may, have you read the book all the way through? It's about impossible to do Atkins correctly without having read the book. Keep us posted and good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/147/125 Female 5 ft 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default yes I have read the book but...

I admit it was last year or more. This is the second time around for me which is why I said I never understood the net carb thing. In the grocery store when I look at labels it is just so crazy for me. I know you can subtract the fiber content but when someone said not to bother adding any carbs from veggies I thought I might be able to clarify.

Thanks for the answers
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 11:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For going through induction, just subtract the fiber. Try to stay away from the things in the store with net carbs and stick to whole foods.

After induction you may find you are eating more veggies. Because things like lettuce (not iceburg) are so high fiber, they have relativly little net carbs. Some people feel the amount is so small compaired to the high nutrient amount, they don't really bother counting the veggies. This will depend on your body and what it tolerates, no one can tell you how you react.

Many say you can also subtract the carbs form sugar alcohols. This is misleading htough because malitol is 50% absorbed and the other sugar alcohols are absorbed in varying degrees. This means they provide carbs and calories. The sweetness of such treats also triggers cravings for some people. If you can stick to whole natural foods for the first two weeks you will be amazed at how deminished your sweet tooth becomes and it will be much easier to pass up sweets. For those times you really need a treat, make soemthing at home using splenda or stevia.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 13:11

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Right-- don't pay attention to the "net carbs" on the front of the package. Look on the back, and focus on total carbs and fiber.

You should definitely count the carbs from veggies-- MOST of your carbs should be coming from veggies!!!! If that's not the case, you need to cut down on cheese, cream, and fake foods.