Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:37

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%
Question Good carbs?????

I was also wondering since I am nursing what would be a good carb for me to eat since I need to have some carbs? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:51

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Lots of veggies, whole grains (examples would be Ezekial bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, barley) and fruits and even sugarfree yogurt are all totally okay and recommended for nursing/pregnant moms.

Last edited by Elsah : Mon, Apr-19-04 at 18:56.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:02

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

what is ezekial bread? do u have a recipe?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:06

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I buy it at the grocery store, You would either have to buy it at a health food store or sometimes you can find it in the freezer section in a regular grocery store. It's usually by the organic stuff if it's in the freezer case.

jenn
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 06:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

If it's a grain with a LOT of fiber, it's probably good. Nuts are fantastic, as are fruits with low glycemic index values. Avoid white foods (white bread, rice, potatoes, pasta).

One caution-- berries are among the fruits that are mostly likely to have residue from the chemical treatments applied in the field, and babies are the people most likely to have adverse reactions to those treatments. If I were in your position, I'd pay the extra few cents for the organic fruits. Strawberries are in season (or about to be), so the price should be lower! That's a personal choice though, but be sure to wash the fruits WELL before you eat them.

Oh, and the plain yogurt (or with artificial sweetener if you MUST) is a fantastic way to limit the risk of thrush!!! I developed oral thrush when I was taking a steroid nasal spray, and found out that it's common among nursing babies (I had to take medicine made for babies), and it's a yeast infection just like... you know... other yeast infections.

Last edited by kyrie : Tue, Apr-20-04 at 06:21.