Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:55

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%
Default Are you eating Fruit?

Hi all, I am 7 pounds from my goal and I would like to start adding fruit. I don't like berrys so what are you eating??

Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

sorry you don't like berries! i eat raspberries or strawberries! just a sprinkle of splenda or a dollop of whipped cream....yummmm! maybe you could give them a try? i appreciate berries now more than ever--
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:58

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

i usually try to eat either one peach or one apple per day. Both are around 20 carbs. Blueberries and strawberries are also good.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 286%

So far all I have had was strawberries. Only two at a time maybe twice a week. It is WONDERFUL!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 20:04

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I eat strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, peaches, apples, pears, pineapple, cherries, kiwi fruit, apricots, lemons, limes, tangerines, grapefruit, cranberries (when in season) sometimes I'll even have 1/3 cup of a banana if I feel the need for it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 20:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Can I have your berries? :P

I thought some melons were pretty low. I'm about to go on a fruit binge as soon as my mini-orchard ripens something.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 21:12

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I think one small plum only has about 3-4 carbs. I have one of those on occasion.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 23:34

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I mostly eat Strawberries. I have them with Whipped Heavy Cream, and they are so delicious. When I first tried them after going LC, they tasted insanely sweet. But, now I've gotten used to eating them. As for other foods, I have Tangerines on occassion. They are relatively low in Carbs. Apples are good as an occassional treat. I really don't care for REAL peaches (I'm too used to the Canned ones dripping with Corn Syrup,) but they're pretty low in Carbs. Some folks like Avocadoes and Olives, though i don't care for them. They're low in carbs. Coconut is great, low in carbs, and high in fiber...It is pretty high in Calories...so, don't overdo the Coconut. I like Cucumbers. They're very low in carbs, mainly because they're 96% Water. I have melons on occasion. But, they are higher glycemic than other fruits, so watch the amounts carefully. I also have a few grapes once in a while, when I'm at the Buffet. Grapes are very easy to overdo, so you need to be extra carefull.

I remember when I was younger, I could down several pounds of Grapes, not to mention several pounds of Bananas, a bag of Florida Oranges, an entire Watermelon, or Several Cantaloupes in one sitting. Though, I would practice some control over how much fruit I ate as it tended to be expensive [with the exception of Berries at my Grandma's Cabin and Oranges once every other year when we'd have Thanksgiving at Great-Uncle's Orange Farm.

We used to drive up from South Florida to my Grandmother's Cabin in NC every Summer. We'd pick up huge bags of Oranges, Tangerines, Tangelos, Grapefruit, etc...A few Watermelons (Red and Yellow,) some Cantaloupe, etc...in Yeehaw Junction. We'd binge on fruit for a few weeks or so once we reached the Cabin. When, we'd run out of Citrus and Melons, I'd walk down the gravel road [that goes up the mountain] and pick some Blueberries, Blackberries, and Raspberries. I never cared for the first two, but I loved the Raspberries. They (Raspberries) grew right at the end of my Grandma's Drievway. The Blueberries and Blackberries grew about a mile down the mountain. We'd walk down and pick them.

Back then, fruit was most of my Carbs and I got alot of exercise, so it wasn't too bad. I took in about 150g a day with about 40g from Soda, and most the rest from Fresh Fruit (Grapes, Melons, Citrus, and Berries.) I only ate about 1 serving of grain a week, so it didn't contribute significantly Carb-wise...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 00:10

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I'm not anywhere near goal, but I do eat about 1/4 cup of either strawberries, blackberries or raspberries daily. The carb count is so low on them, the fiber so high, and the vitamin and anti-oxidant content so good there's no reason not to eat them.

I will also occasionally have a tangerine which is about 6 net carbs. Again, a very worthy food to eat.

Peaches are one of my favorites, and I'm looking forward to summer for a little locally-grown peaches with cream. *slurps*

As for apples, does anyone have a problem with them affecting blood sugar? I know they're supposed to be low-glycemic, but we've had problems with them for years. And bananas are just plain poison to me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 02:04

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaCotton
As for apples, does anyone have a problem with them affecting blood sugar? I know they're supposed to be low-glycemic, but we've had problems with them for years. And bananas are just plain poison to me.

I've never eaten an Apple [since LCing] without exercising at the same time...So, I couldn't say. As for Bananas, I agree: Pure Poison. My Grandmother used to tell me when I was younger that back in her day Bananas were what you ate to gain weight. I never really understood those comments until I went LC.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 04:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134.5/110.0/120 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 169%

Since starting Atkins I have only allowed myself to grapes and I love them with spray cream!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 06:01

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

lemons are great w/a bit of splenda. berries are cool too. but I'm not in maintence just yet so I'm still very limited in fruits.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 06:11

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaCotton

When I eat an apple, I usually share it with my DW. So I get an entire 1/2 of an apple. I usually slather it with 2 Tbsp of p-nut butter. I think combining the sweetness of the apple with the fat & protien in the p-nut butter helps minimize blood sugar spikes.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 06:38

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get to the market..

Kat
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

A good book for you to check out would be Atkins for life. In it he seperates foods into three catagories based on carbs and GI. Foods to eat often, foods to eat in moderation and foods to save for a treat. It really helps to have the easy to read tables to give you ideas on what to add first and what to save for later