Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 01:42

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%
Question gadgets

what is the best gadget for the low carb kitchen? i.e. george foreman,dutch oven.........
also has anyone tried that new egg peeler that they advertizing on tv...peels hard boiled eggs in 3 sec........hhmmm kind of hard to believe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 02:31

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

For me I have two staples that I would call gadgets - the microwave and the frying pan. Both get used a great deal and after years of thinking that frying food was bad for you I actually have to buy new frying pans on a regular basis.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 19:42

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

I LOVE my new goerge forman
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 10:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I like the coffee grinder for grinding flax seeds, whole spices and nuts to a fine powder. Works much better than a food processor.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:26

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:

we have a 'grill' similar to george foremans.. i think its called healthsmart or something.. in my opinion it sometimes leaves the meat a little bit dry.. that being said, I work long hours and dont always want to cook for my husband when i get home.. it was also pretty inexpensive IMHO..

With this, my husband can pop a piece of meat in there (even frozen ~ NICE!) and walk away to do his work (he works at home).. if he cooks, im not concerned about the house burning down.. if he doesnt then it's simple for me! most meats are done in about 10 minutes too!

of course.. I personally like the taste of meat cooked in a frying pan better (or oven).. I cant seem to get that juiciness from the grill (I think because its one of those where the grease goes into a little pan instead of cooking the meat in it).. but he loves it done in that grill so thats OK

my 2 cents
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:28

BF:

I forgot to say.. my other favorite gadget right now is this mini chopper.. put some pork rinds in it and WHIRL!!! done in like 2 seconds.. Ive even put chicken in it for chicken salad.. its pretty handy..

Ill have to look into getting a coffee grinder.. the stores around here dont carry almond flour.. the closest one is 1 hour away and they only carry ground almonds (I didnt know there was a difference until recently).. anyhow if it works as well as Karen says it does, I need to get one!

oh also i want a waffle iron if i think of it the next were out.. I found a really GREAT pancake recipe that i think would make divine waffles..
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 13:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

My favourite gadget at the moment is my George Foreman Rotisserie - wonderful for cooking all types of meat. Also, my blender is great for making low carb shakes
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod
the stores around here dont carry almond flour.. the closest one is 1 hour away and they only carry ground almonds (I didnt know there was a difference until recently)

There's a difference?! Please, do tell!

#9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I don't know how I coped before I got a food processor -- I use mine just about every day to grate fresh cheeses, make my own almond flour, or shred or slice vegetables (e.g. cauliflower for "rice"). It's so much easier than doing it by hand!

My most-used mini gadgets are the egg slicer, which gets used for mushrooms and strawberries as well as hard-boiled eggs, and the garlic peeler.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 17:58

BF:

TO Karin289

as posted by scott123:

Quote:
You will also get a fluffier texture if you use almond flour as opposed to ground almonds. The almond flour is blanched/unroasted so it should result in a much less nuttier taste/better texture. If all you have is either whole or ground almonds, you can grind it to a finer consistency by putting it in a food processor for a little bit. Be careful not to process your almonds into nut butter. Freezing them first helps to get a finer grind without clumping. Theoretically, the finer almond flour should absorb the butter a little better.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thanks Peapod! I had noticed a difference between the stuff I buy (for waaaaaaaaaay too much money) and the stuff I make. Sounds like I should use the store bought if I really want to make something high quality; otherwise it wouldn't matter.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 16:49
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I couldn’t live without my silicon muffin tray and loaf pan…..they are fantastic. I also use my coffee grinder all the time to make my own almond meal and flax meal.

Karin289
I always thought almond flour was made from the stuff left over once the almond oil was extracted.