Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default I'm So Vain!

I never used to care what I looked like (obviously!!!), especially at 205 pounds, but now that I am down, I am soooo vain! I keep looking at myself in the mirror and looking for ways to improve my features. I am 50 years old and never thought I would even consider plastic surgery but now I'm thinking very seriously about it. The only plastic surgery I had considered is a tummy tuck, as my stomach has grown so much over the years, even though I lost quite a bit of it while on Atkins. I don't think much more of it is going to come off after I lose these 10 pounds. Well, now I'm looking at my face and thinking that my eyes have bags and wrinkles and now that I have basically the body I've always wanted (with a few improvements here and there) I am very very seriously thinking about cosmetic surgery.

Anyone else considering this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:12

Plan: Celiac Disease
Stats: 215/190/115 Female 5'3
BF:35/?/10
Progress: 25%

I know that I will have to do a tummy tuck, don't know about arms and such, not worried about my face, don't care enough I guess.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:40
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Whenever I find myself checking my backside out in a mirror, I always tell my kids. "Im not concieted, its just amazement."
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:47
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I'm always smiling in the mirror and for the camera. I no longer worry about how the picture will turn out. I'm with you all though, my tummy seems to be a permanent part of my body and I have already begun looking into a tummy tuck procedure/cost for my final "look". I'm afraid even with the new me, the old belly skin will always be there.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:13
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I hear ya, girl. I can't pass a mirror without looking and thinking "Man, I look hot today!" Call me conceited, but I never loved the way I looked when I was 224 pounds!

I thought about the tummy tuck and a boob job (talk about saggy skin), but I figure I'll be having kids in a few years, so what's the point? It'll all just get stretched out again anyway during pregnancy. I am hoping that some toning with weights and taking good care of myself will help with some of the excess skin, but I'm pretty much counting on that fact that 1. I'll always need a super-supportive, lifting bra AND 2. I'll never look good in a two-piece bathing suit due to my flabby belly. Oh well! At least I'll look darn sexy in clothes
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:59

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

There are some areas that I seem to never lose weight in. Even when i've been thinner, my upper arms have been way fatter than the rest of me. I would LOVE (love) to get them fixed...
I think, whatever you wanna do to make yourself look better (thus FEEL better), go for it. I see nothing wrong with plastic surgery if you've lost weight and wanna fix a few saggy things, or are seeing the passing of time on your face and want a little lift. My mother in law (well, just about...) is probably in her 70's (we aren't really sure, hehe,) and had facelift at some point, and she still looks so vibrant. I think looking younger helps her to still have the full life she keeps up (as in, being a fulltime university scholar!)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 12:17

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I would love a face lift. Not that I could ever afford it. But now that I think my body is what I want. I'd like to detail the rest of me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 13:36
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Now this is vain, I won't get a tummy tuck. Why? Because I don't want a scar! I have decided that the scar will bother me more than the little belly. Besides if I ever did anything, it would be to replace my breast!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 14:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

i'd actually like an extreme make over myself lmao =)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 15:21

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think formerly fat people really appreciate their bodies more than those who have never fought the fat war. Vain? No way! Just absolute amazement at what you've accomplished. I can't wait to get to that point...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 15:46

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I need to get some fat rolls Sucked away... anyone have a few thousand dollars they have no use for?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 16:00

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I'll go ahead and admit it. I had a boob job 2 years ago. Why? Because I was 41 years old and tired of looking like a boy (a kind of chubby one, too). I was an AA cup but not thin enough to pull off the Calista Flockhart look. I was always opposed to cosmetic surgery, then in my 40s I guess I changed my mind. Anyway, it's probably the best thing I've ever done, just for me. It was expensive but oh so worth it. And you know what? I did it BEFORE I lost weight. Now that I've lost 15 lb., my body has shrunk, but the boobs have not!

Anyway, I think it is natural that you would start caring more about your appearance as you lose weight. When you feel heavy, you are in a state of denial about how you look and you avoid mirrors, etc. When you start feeling good about yourself, you like what you want to see and feel a desire to improve it. It's not a bad thing as long as you keep your priorities in order.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 16:15

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

But the real question is, do you think this song is about you?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 16:37

Plan: Atkins+Black Coffee
Stats: 251/250/190 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 2%

In my slim days I was vain, which came to haunt me in later years ( by big weight gain that is) I am not vain now, just thankful to be where I am now and where I'm headed. I'm looking and feeling so much better! I too am almost 50 and I've always wanted to just grow old gracefully!
I'm too chicken to go under the knife anyway!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 18:44
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

I'm pushing 52 and wonder what my "jowls" will be like when the weight is gone. In years past when I dieted, I was young enough that my skin snapped back, of course I hadn't been over 180 either. I'll probably have to live with whatever the end result is, but I'm planning to hedge my bets with exercise.