Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 23:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Quick Question --- Detoxing

I am finishing my 5th Day on Atkins... feeling great in general. However I notice I keep getting these wierd top of the head headaches. I got one this morning upon waking up. Wondering if they are cal/mag related OR

From what I have read --- toxin are stored in body fat.... and so if we are burning body fat --- I imagine our toxin release is high as well.. which may account for the headache...

Anyone read or have similar info... would love to hear what others have done for these small headaches...

Ramona
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 02:46

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

I found that headaches were a problem also, and after reading a lot of the posts, I realised that I wasn't eating anywhere near my quota of carbs in the form of fresh green veggies, so I upped them slightly and the headaches dissappeared. could it be that? Of course it could so easily be everything else you mentioned, or a combo. Someone more experienced will answer you. Best of luck, Doods
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 07:01

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%

Ramona...

I don't really know...for me it was shakiness, and dizziness...As soon as I got serious and took vitamins and supplements it all went away...like almost immediately. For some reason I thought I could do this without taking them and didn't till day 3. I'm sure someone here will have the answer!

Muse
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 07:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Headaches when starting this WOE are quite common, Ramona. Here's a link from a few days ago; many people feel the same way you do.

Sounds like carb w/drawal and some electrolyte loss to me.

Make sure you're drinking your water and taking a good multi vitamin. Supplements like calcium and magnesium and some potassium would be a good idea as well.

Potassium you can get cheap in a product called "NuSalt". You take 1/8th teaspoon and mix it with a very large glass of water. This will give you 300+ mg of potassium. Do this 2x a day during Induction and once a day thereafter.

Mag/Cal you want in the same pill (ration 2:1, 333 mg calcium / 167 mg magnesium) take one with each meal and one an hour before bed. the RDA for calcium is 800 - 1500 mg and for Mag it's 400 - 500 mg. Be sure you get a chelated supplement as they are better absorped by the body.

Potassium will aide with fatigue / dizziness / headache and Magnesium will help with muscle cramping which often accompanies LCing. Magnesium before bed will also greatly increase the quality of sleep.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/169/145
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default beginning headaches

In my first week of induction, I had 4 migraines and a couple of irritating headaches. I kept with it, because I was so desparate to lose weight I didn't care!

In my second week of induction, I had 2 migraines and several irritating headaches.

I happened to see my doc near the end of week 2 for my annual poke and prod me exam. He thought it was probably the change of diet and would soon get better.

He was right. Week three was WAY BETTER, and now I get occasional headaches, but no worse than before.

(I have a tendency to get migraines, but not that often! But after the first 2 weeks, I'm ok.)

Be tough--after you get past the beginning it should even out. Your body has become addicting to sugars & carbs, and going off these things makes it angry! But I will reassure you that I feel really healthy with this WOE. Not bogged down.

Good luck!