Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:09
Slowly I turn

Plan: Atkins restart 3-17-10
Stats: 195.5/170.6/135 Female 5'5
BF:48%/37%/20%
Progress: 41%
Default weight related sleep apnea

I have been suffering with this since the early 90's. I hardly ever wake up feeling rested....I'm tired and have headaches often when I get up. I will be glad to lose some lbs and have it go away. Anyone who has sleep apnea and lost some weight, have you seen an improvement?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I've not heard of weight being an issue except when you're talking a lot more than you have to loose.

Have you been to a sleep clinic? had a sleep study done? Do you use a CPAP machine? Sleep apnea is not only an inconvenience, it's dangerous. If you haven't yet, please see your doc for treatment. You can always stop treatment down the road if symptoms do improve.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:47
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
I've not heard of weight being an issue except when you're talking a lot more than you have to loose.

Have you been to a sleep clinic? had a sleep study done? Do you use a CPAP machine? Sleep apnea is not only an inconvenience, it's dangerous. If you haven't yet, please see your doc for treatment. You can always stop treatment down the road if symptoms do improve.

Yes, I have been to a sleep clinic, yes had the sleep study done. The night I was there I had mild episodes of it... not the usual. No I don't use a cpap but should. I was not happy with the doctor that I went to so I did not go back for the follow up. My hubby has sleep apnea also, he used to stop breathing 60 times an hour... was horrible for the both of us. Cpap has been a blessing for him. I don't want to be strapped down to that machine every night for the rest of my life. I now have three babies to take care of, I'm afraid I won't hear them in the middle of the night. You have to take it with you every where you go. It does things to your sinuses. My husband now has allergies. If he forgets to take the machine if we go away, just one night, his throat is raw and swollen... The cons are too many for me. I am hoping to lose some weight and have it improve.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:53

Well I understand that you don't want to be tied down.....but have you considered the surgery for sleep apnea? I'm not an advocate of it for simple snoring issues....but for "true" sleep apnea it can be a miracle! I have a friend who had it done and no longer uses his CPAP.

As for the babies....I understand. But can you get a monitor and turn up the volume? Also some of the newer CPAPS are much quieter.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:24
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Well I understand that you don't want to be tied down.....but have you considered the surgery for sleep apnea? I'm not an advocate of it for simple snoring issues....but for "true" sleep apnea it can be a miracle! I have a friend who had it done and no longer uses his CPAP.

As for the babies....I understand. But can you get a monitor and turn up the volume? Also some of the newer CPAPS are much quieter.

I would try to avoid surgery and use it as a last resort. Glad your friend had relief. The monitor turned up way loud...is really loud...we tried that, the dogs went nuts.... we don't even use it. I really did not have a sleep apnea problem until I put on all this weight. That is why I think I may be able to reverse it if I drop some pounds. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen and saw an improvement. Thanks for all your suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time. Are you a nurse or medical professional? You seem to know a bit about this.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Could it be related to food allergies>some folks have had a reduction in symptoms on low carb almost immediately and traced it to dropping wheat or corn from diet.
Also are you reacting to your husbands cycle if he stops /starts even on machine are you answering that?
Hope LC and weight loss help you-sleep is important-I have temperature issues and wake up way to often for a good rest.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:31
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

When I lost my first 50lbs I was relieved from my sleep apnea, however since I've stayed this weight for over a year, it has crept back. Hence why I'm so motivated to lose more.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a couple of friends with sleep apnea. They got some kind of device they wear to bed that seems to resolve it. They're really happy being able to sleep well. I haven't heard any complaints about allergies, throat soreness or anything. They're just overjoyed they can get rest and their spouses are happy they aren't snoring.

Sleep Apnea is a serious problem and you really need to get it treated. It can cause anything from accidents from falling asleep to heart problems from having you stop breathing many times in the night. Don't treat it lightly.

And yes, when you get fat you gain weight everywhere, just about. I think sleep apnea is caused by extra tissue obstructing your airways in the upper throat (I think). When you lose weight, you lose it there too.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 12:24

"I would try to avoid surgery and use it as a last resort."

Absolutely a last resort. BUT if you can't/won't use the CPAP and have to sleep I think it might be a reasonable alternative!

You need your sleep. It can cause problems....as I'm sure you know....with trouble driving, trouble concentrating, etc....but it can also contribute to heart disease and hypertension (so I've read).

If you loose weight it may go away....and I hope it does....but if not, surgery might be something to think about.

I'm an insomniac.....have been since my teens. I've tried almost everything and nothing works long term. I know what it's like having no sleep for days on end....and it's no fun. Hope things improve for you soon!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 13:36

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I noticed I sleep a ton better!!! I hope you find something that works for you
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/161/135 Female 5 ft. 3 inches
BF:39%

Hi Blondey,

I've never been diagnosed with sleep apnea, but I had a terrible snoring problem (or should I say, DH had MY snoring problem). Since I've lost weight, I sleep much better, feel well-rested in the morning and Hubby says he never hears me snore anymore. Of course, I had much more weight to lose than you, but losing your weight might ease some of those symptoms you're having.

Good Luck!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:14
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byph
Hi Blondey,

I've never been diagnosed with sleep apnea, but I had a terrible snoring problem (or should I say, DH had MY snoring problem). Since I've lost weight, I sleep much better, feel well-rested in the morning and Hubby says he never hears me snore anymore. Of course, I had much more weight to lose than you, but losing your weight might ease some of those symptoms you're having.

Good Luck!

That is great to hear! I am hopeful that I will get a better nights sleep once I get to where you are! Thanks for posting.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:43

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My husband has it. He had the surgery - it did NOT help at all, not even for a little while. He has the CPAP and we love it! Now we both can sleep at night. When he loses weight, his snoring decreases (me, too)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 13:29
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanKH
My husband has it. He had the surgery - it did NOT help at all, not even for a little while. He has the CPAP and we love it! Now we both can sleep at night. When he loses weight, his snoring decreases (me, too)

That's what I had read about the surgery...it only works like 50% of the time. I guess it depends what your cause of sleep apnea is. Thanks for your input!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 16:49

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I get wicked headaches, I snore really bad, wake up with backaches, all of which I hope will go away as this weight comes off!