Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/132/124 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default low carb w/ no gallbladder?

Does anyone know if the Atkins diet is advisable for someone who has had their gallblader removed? My husband and I are loving this WOE and now my step-daughter wants to try it, but she had her gallbladder removed 4 years ago. Honestly, I'm not real sure what the gallbladder does but I know it has something to do with processing fat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I know it is possible- there are members on here that have had their gallbladder removed. It will depend on her tolerance to certain foods. If she has been able to eat a regular diet since her surgery I bet she will have no problems.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have no gallbladder and had gastric bypass. I have trouble with processing meat more than fat due to the bypass. No problem with the gallbladder removal.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:42

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

One of those try and see things.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:00

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I low-carb without a gallbladder and have not had any trouble thus far, in fact, my digestion "issues" have improved remarkably.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:44

Plan: Moderate carbs
Stats: 155/151/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 40%

Same here. Had my gallbladder out 11 years ago and no troubles. Also have much less GAS now then I did pre-LC
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:54

Plan: Atkins-general low carb
Stats: //150
BF:to much *LOL*
Progress: 12%

Had my gallbladder removed abt 4 yrs ago.If i eat alot of fat it goes right through me (sorry) So i stay with somewhat low fat.it might be somewhat more carbs but i couldn't handle the trips to the bathroom anymore.Her body will let her know what she can and can not have.IMO cutting down your carbs to 100 aday and watching your fat you will still lose a lot of weight.Might be at a slower rate.But look at how many carbs you would eat if you weren't watching your carbs. YUCK!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 12:11

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Mine was removed 20 years ago and I have had no problems - always wish I could lose faster, and maybe the reason I am not is DUE to the no gall bladder thing, but then again it could be completely unrelated!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 14:59
Registered Member

Stats: 142/138/130 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I would also check with your doctor and see what he/she says. I know that my sister has had a lot of problems since hers was removed and she doesn't digest food properly. Especially anything with a lot of fat, she gets terrible cramps and everything shoots right through her. She lost about 20lbs since her surgery. There is no way she could do this diet, if you haven't fallen into the 10% with similar complications you should be alright. I think hers has something to do with stomache bile but I really do not know, there is some info online. Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 22:18

Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I had my gall bladder removed a year ago this May. I was a little concerned when I started Atkins 2 months ago because one of the last things the doctor said to me was, "Do not eat foods high in fat". I've not had any problems, though I do tend to stick to white meats as opposed to red meats. That doesn't mean I don't have a burger patty or a steak now and then. I'm one of those odd people who did not have to have my GB removed because of fatty stones. I had one huge cholesterol stone that was formed from going on a starvation diet and dropping a huge amount of weight in a short time. When you lose by starving, you body emits a chemical that is prone to creating these huge stones. Meals high in fat were not giving me the GB attacks. In fact, things like raw bell pepper set them off worse.

Also on a good note - I was prescribed acid reducers last year to take daily because I had an awful problem with acid reflux. Since starting Atkins, I've only had 3 acid reducers in 2 months! I've very excited about that.

Sorry I rambled!

Vicki B.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 23:26
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I had my gallbladder removed in August 1997. In December 1998 I discoverred Atkins while doing some research on a medical condition I have (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and in 10 months lost 45 pounds with no problems whatsoever.

The *only* problem I had with the diet was when I went off of it I had a heck of a time getting back on it.

Hope this helps.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 18:52

Stats: 300/236/180 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I had my gallbladder removed in 1995. I haven't had any problem with Atkins. I also eat a lot of fat. I did have to take a Pepcid AC every day for acid reflux before starting Atkins. Now I only need one about once a week. I am hoping I will not need them at all in the future. Missy
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 05:32

Plan: Moderate carbs
Stats: 155/151/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hmm I remember when I first had my GB out I had trouble with digesting fats (ran through me within an hour lol) and my doc gave me this powder stuff to sprinkle on my food when I ate and whatever THAT was it helped with the digestion for about a week until my body got used to having no GB to help with fatty stuff.