Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/118/110 Female 5 ft 2.5 ins
BF:24%/23%/20%
Progress: 38%
Default Fitday question

I have a bit of a question about Fitday. I had a cobb salad for lunch today, so when i was putting the cobb salad they have on the database into my day plan I had a look at the ingredient breakdown. It says that for a one-cup serving the ingredients are (approx)
200g iceberg lettuce
200g romaine
300g tomato
110g chicken
400g avocado
50g bacon
200g boiled egg
90g blue cheese
plus dressing...
And this is all for a one-cup serving. Is this possible? Surely not, as the nutritional info it gives for a one cup serving is:

Amount Per 1 cup
Calories 179.5
Calories from Fat 132.57

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 14.73g 23%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 3.72g 19%

Polyunsaturated Fat 4.1g

Monounsaturated Fat 5.81g

Cholesterol 71.66mg 24%

Sodium 256.1mg 11%

Potassium 376.41mg 11%

Total Carbohydrate 5.33g 2%

Dietary Fiber 2.27g 9%

Protein 7.8g 16%

I know that 110g of chicken alone is almost 200 calories... Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:54
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Something is wrong. You have about 1.3 kilos of ingredients listed, which obviously could not fit into one cup.

The problem is that I don't think Fitday could possibly figure out the proper density/volume of a custom recipe which is what you're trying to do. You're better off measuring a custom recipe by weight than volume.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 08:23

I'm just trying to work out what it means when they list the ingredients, and what therefore a cup actually does consist of... Just search for 'cobb salad' to see what i mean...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 08:34

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi - My guess is that this works like my custom recipes - I idenitfy the number of servings, put the total ingredients in, then when I enter it into the food log I select what portion of the recipe I am eating - usually 1 serving.

In this case, I am guessing that a cobb salad as listed is for 1-2 servings (maybe 4 given how much lettuce there is) and would equal 4 -5 cups for a serving. The totals you include above include about 4 ounces of chicken, little over 3 oz of blue cheese etc. so if you think about it, that would divide up nicely into a couple of servings. This isn't making sense but think about what the cobb salad looked like and then it might - I would enter 4 cups into your fit day and I would bet that is pretty close to what you had.

Good luck!
PecanPie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's a one cup serving taken from those ingredients. Not all those ingredients going into a one cup serving.

Fitday does the same thing with other composed dishes. They list all the ingredients and weights for an entire recipe on the right side. The nutrition counts are then displayed for whatever portion you choose.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Tue, Apr-13-04 at 09:39.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:48

aaah got it - so there's no way of working out how much of their custom recipe goes into each cup (ie how many cups the whole of their recipe amounts to?)