Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 05:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayeyes
My mom dieted a lot, she did WW, grapefruit, cabbage soup, Scarsdale, and a liquid protein diet. On the protein diet, there were these mushy little squares of dietetic 'chocolate' candies she was allowed to have. I snuck one once and they tasted like utter crap. Even better, they were called "Ayds."

OMG I remember those little candies! My mother had those too! I remember taking those (I think maybe that they had some sort of appetite suppressant in them?) and hoping to get "thin" like a fashion model -- although I was a perfectly healthy weight and height as a young teenager.

Needless to say nothing happened.

My craziest diet was Weight Watchers, before the points system, even. I obsessed about food -- what I could have, and when, and how much. Dreamed about it, thought about it all the time. Dreaded the weekly weigh-in, knew that I would never be able to make their goal weight (probably hadn't weighed that little since I was ten - a tall, bony ten!) Jumped off the weight watchers wagon when I was pregnant with my third child, then devised my own diet while I was nursing her. No potatoes, no rice, no coffee with caffeine, lots of salad, vegetables, fruits, and protein, no butter and little oil. I lost tons of weight and had good nutrition, I'm sure -- had I realized that oil and fat would have kept me satiated, and that I could have eaten this way forever, I might have kept it off!

Alas. But I'm glad, even this late, to have discovered this WOE.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:43

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

As a kid, I remember sneaking into the fridge and taking my mom's starch-blocker pills. Didn't seem to help, though.

My most successful diet as a teen was the 'performance anxiety diet'. I was drum major, and every day, I got sick from nerves and couldn't eat at the thought of standing up in front of the band. I did get down to 125lbs, though.

I did slimfast, but I am sure my idea of a 'sensible dinner' was about 3x the size of theirs. Didn't work either.

I did that mayo clinic one, the one where you had to drink grapefruit juice before you ate. I hated grapefruit juice. Strangely enough, it worked until I went off it. I actually like grapefruit juice now.

I tried the throw-up diet on and off for a while. And the laxative diet...
I knew I had a problem then.

WW actually helped me get my eating under control and lose weight, then I started getting sicker the closer I got to goal. Got sick, made goal weight, then couldn't eat anything without getting sick.

Thank goodness my sister tried Atkins! I always thought Atkins was one of those weird unhealthy diets! She talked me into trying it. I got well doing Atkins, now I doing Neanderthin, and love it!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 23:41
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

I did Weight Watchers before theyt had the Points system back in 1988.

I did the Susan Powter diet for about a month until I got tired of eating all that low fat stuff and not losing.

Then I went to Deal-a-Meal and lost 26 pounds in a month, got tired of measuring out everything...tired of not having anymore little cards left around 2 pm in the afternoon and developed gallstones on it and got tired of listenning to Richard. (Thanks a *lot* Richard Simmons! NOT!!)

Thank goodness I found Atkins. I have read Neanderthin but I love fruit so much i might end up overeating it.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 04:06

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

I did the Cabbage Soup Diet too. Actually, my mom made it for me, and as she's a very good cook, she "doctored" it a bit so it would taste better. Even so, it was pretty bad. That lasted about 2 days max. I had to defrost it and throw it out months later.

The Mayo Clinic Diet is also known as the Grapefruit Diet. That was relatively ok and I lost about 5kg on it. But I hate grapefruit!

Then the low calorie diets of my own invention: I had around 600 cals per day for about 2 weeks. I lost about 5 kg on that one. It worked in time for my Caribbean vacation, but I got it all back as soon as I got home. So much for that...besides, I wouldn't recommend starvation as a weight loss method. Tee, hee...(but I looked good in my bikini and that's all that mattered to me back then).

When I was a teen I did this diet (invented by yours truly):

Breakfast: 2 slices of white bread with strawberry jam .
Lunch: 2 boiled potatoes with loads of butter.
Supper: again 2 boiled potatoes with butter.
I lost quite a lot, but felt so weak...it was just a low cal diet, after all

I've been on too many diets to remember, but those are the ones that come to mind. LOL. Now I'm doing Neanderthin and losing weight healthily.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

I did something like the cabbage soup diet, but it was more tomatoes in the soup and no cabbage...?

It made me sick with a cold after two days. Didn't finish the four days it took to lose 10 lbs or whatever.

M
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 13:14

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Who can forget the cabbage soup diet? Not anyone who's ever smelled it, that's for sure. I wanted the Ayds candy (diet aides) when I was a teen, but my mom wouldn't buy them for me. And I wasn't really overweight, so I can see why she wouldn't.

I did Nutrisystem. Lost alot of money and weight eating nifty little, pre-packaged, dehydrated meals that you plumped up with water. As soon as I quit, I found all of the lost pounds and their friends, but none of the lost money.

I did Diet Center, on my own, and actually did very well. Until I quit.

The Rice Diet - my girlfriend and I went on this in high school because she was developing acne and the dermatologist said the diet would clear it up. It did, too. I don't remember losing any weight, but we did have clear skin.

Weight Watchers - Actually I love WW. I can do really well on it, too. The problems are: 1) I tend to use my points for not so healthy choices and 2) I was always hungry. Always.

And then there was the poor college student diet. Work in a restaurant and beg the cook for free food. It worked, mostly because I was so busy and so poor.

Yeah, LC is sounding pretty good.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 15:54

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

The weirdest Diets:

1) In my teens
Crisps and Coke - every time we went on school trips the food was so awful, we ended up buying crisps and coke and live of that a week. Funny enough it actually worked, but certainly wasn't healthy

2) The "Fit for Life" diet.
It was a food combining diet. No coffee allowed either. I got so confused and ended up eating lots of bread with nothing else. Lost nothing and had a terrible headache

3) Lemon Juice Diet
Can't remember much of this one. Must have taken my brain away. Had something to do with eating maple syrup (very hard to find in germany) and Lemon juice.

4) Rice Diet
Felt tired and weak, lost nothing

5) Low Carb
I am allowed to eat when I feel like it and still lose weight....Must be the weirdest diet I have ever been on.....But it works. Give it a try.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 18:10

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

In my late teens/early twenties, I did my own version of a very low-fat diet. IIRC, I didn't eat breakfast. For lunch, I would have a grilled cheese with dill pickles inside, but no butter on the bread. For dinner, I would have pasta with broccoli, onion and fat-free Italian dressing. Cold, usually. I lost some weight but amazingly couldn't keep it up for long. That's actually the only time I've really tried to lose weight, other than now.

My MIL told me that when she was in high school, for weeks she ate nothing but Cheerios, though she did take a multivitamin every day. It worked, but her mom was not happy with her.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 18:35

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I forgot about Ayds! OMG, I tried that when I was a teenager, with my chubby friends. At least, we thought we were chubby, now I realize I looked pretty good (not as good as Cheryl Tiegs -- dating myself).
Also went to Nutrisystem and lost a lot of pregnancy weight.
Also went to WW and lost a lot of weight.
Hmmm....seeing a pattern developing.
But these were definitely DIETS -- stuck closely to them just so I could lose the weight quickly -- and get the heck off the diet.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 19:05
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

I remember those Ayds candies. My mom bought them for herself as she was on every diet that ever came out.
My siblings and I found them once and thinking they were chocolates ate the whole box on her. LOL