Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 10/10/10 Female 1
BF:
Progress: 100%

According to Dr. B, short-term high bg's have a cumulative effect. "Normal" people do not have readings that high, even after eating much more sugar than you do. (I've tested my wife a few times!)

The bad effects will be small, or postponed to late in life, if you do this rarely, but the more often you eat sugary foods, the more likely you will have complications later in life.

For me, I try to find low-carb sweets to eat when I have cravings. Some of the new low-carb ice creams are really good, and have almost no effect on my bgs. My current fav flavor is Blue Bunny Butter Pecan. My kids even love this!

- Danny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 14:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
But I'm wondering. Doesn't the reading HAVE to be high at some time in order for First Phase insulin response to kick in? If you happen to check at that moment in time, wouldn't even a normal person get a high reading? Doesn't dropping to 156 in 10 minutes mean it did? Does anyone know about this?

Actually, many type 2 diabetics no longer have a phase 1 response or it's very much diminished and ineffective. The phase 1 response starts immediately when you begin eating and is when stored insulin is released into the bloodstream and it's not based at all on what your current blood sugar reading is. Because many type 2's have little to no phase 1 response, this is why their blood sugars can rise quite high in the first hour after eating. The phase 2 response kicks in a little over an hour after you eat and is in direct response to how high and how fast your blood sugar is still rising an hour after you eat. In the phase 2 response, your pancreas produces new insulin to bring blood glucose levels back to where they should be. I believe what you saw with your testing is your phase 2 response kicking in.
As Danny already pointed out, most non-diabetics rarely go over 150 even with eating a high carb or high sugar meal because their phase 1 and phase 2 responses are still intact and their bodies react to them properly.
Personal opinion (but I believe Dr. B agrees with me here); a 100 point jump at any point after eating is not good for a diabetic even if it does return to normal within a reasonable amount of time and if something you are eating is causing that large of a jump, it would probably be wise to eliminate it for now. IIRC, Dr. B states to shoot for no more than a 30 point jump at any point after eating.
BTW...pineapple is a fairly high glycemic fruit (almost right up there with bananas). Maybe some strawberries would work better?