Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Thoughts after a cheat weekend

Hi!

This weekend I cheated. Family wedding and huge get-togethers, so I carefully considered how to stay on target but then figured...ah, well. So I did the planned cheat this weekend. Tomorrow I go back on induction and hopefully within a week I'll be back on track and lose the water weight. But here are some thoughts:

1) Even though I gave myself permission to cheat, I didn't go overboard. I didn't grossly stuff myself. I avoided sugar (with the exception of one piece of wedding cake--didn't even indulge in any of the Easter candy strewn about like...well, like Easter candy.) I just didn't feel like I was somehow making up for lost time.

2) I realized how much I DON'T miss about the old WOE: the heartburn, the mood swings and mid-afternoon exhaustion, the feeling stuffed and urpy after eating carbs...I just don't miss it.

3) The stuff in which I indulged tasted good (I had two slices of pizza and had French fries, two thing) but I can live without it. I really feel that once I reach my target weight (I'm about halfway there) I'll be able to continue LC'ing. I don't feel like it's a hardship at all.

Anyway, I feel pretty good about the weekend. It was fine. I had a good time. But I'm not tempted to return to being enslaved by food. Been there, done that, bought the oversized t-shirt.

Best wishes,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 16:24
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I like you took my first "break" days, starting with Friday. Unlike you, I ate sugar! Will pay for it I know come Monday morning when I get back on plan.

Actually I will be glad to get back on plan. Today I am very tired feeling. And where I first start off thinking things were to sweet, not they taste fine to me. Kinda glad it will be a yucky rainy week, it will match my mood as I detox.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 17:20

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Well, TJE1219, I'm glad that you realize that cheating isn't all it's cracked up to be!! I agree with you...the side effects of eating carbs can be really miserable. For me, it's the heartburn, fatigue, moodiness, stomach aches, bloat, and headaches that keep me from indulging a lot of times.
I hope you had a nice weekend with the wedding and all. Best of luck to you getting back on track and continuing with Atkins!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 20:08

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Been there, done that, bought the oversized t-shirt.

Love that one!!! I agree. I did the same thing yesterday, and although there is a little guilt going on, I know that I will be right back on my plan. I already am. Just don't let it lead to an every day or every other day thing.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 08:53

Stats: 250/216/190 Male 73 Inches
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Thoughts after a cheat WEEK!

Heh,

My wife and I just got back from a big family trip to DisneyWorld. This was a planned cheat for us, and to tell you the truth we felt great taking it (no guiltiness). I did notice the poor way that the carby sugary food made me feel though, and I am very happy to get back on the Bandwagon starting yesterday (that's right, no special Easter dinner for us!)

The big thing that's important to realize is that it's a PLANNED thing. If you plan for it, then it's actually not a cheat. You can't make this a WOL if you think of it as a cheat! It is just an alternative way of eating while on vacation!

Anywho, we aren't worried about stalling/getting off this WOL/having our house fall in on us/etc. , we just realize that it's the way things happen and we had a great trip and life is still groovy.

~JC
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 09:02

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

DukeMagi,

I hear you on the planned cheat thing. After doing this WOL for about 8 mos, I WILL NOT feel bad about a cheat. If I'm driven to have a couple onion rings once every few months, then so be it. I'm not going to guilt myself over a treat. When we guilt the heck out of ourselves, we set ourselves up for unnecessary mental discomfort that often goes hand-in-hand with eating disorders.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 09:07

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%
Talking Just my opinion....

This subject is always going to be difficult and it is always going to mean walking a very fine line. Most of us have loved carbs our entire lives and every big meal and holiday tends to have tons of carby treats to enjoy. When I think about it, there are 365 days in a year and how many major holidays?

If you plan a cheat (I like to say reward) on those days and reward yourself only now and again, I truly believe that you will sustain this WOE for the remainder of your life. It isn't a diet, it is a WOE. If you are too strict, then it can be more difficult for some people...others have more will power. It is a matter of a lifestyle change and if you change your lifestyle with the mindset that this is the way you will be eating and that you can enjoy a planned treat as a reward every once in a while, you will not feel bad and you will feel more confident about your control over food. Now people....I said major holiday....not every single one listed on the calender....

This is just my opinion. I hope everyone had a good weekend!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 09:26

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'0
BF:not sure
Progress: 0%

I had a planned treat this past weekend..I had chocolate and some really good Easter food..I don't feel as though I gained a lot of weight back..But like you said it should be feww occassions and try not to over indulge..
I decided to do induction again. I like the idea of knowing just what to eat and when..Since having children, my brain is fried of all creativitieness.. SO for now I will stick to it for now..

Michelle
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 09:31
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
The big thing that's important to realize is that it's a PLANNED thing. If you plan for it, then it's actually not a cheat.
I respectfully disagree!
Quote:
If you plan a cheat (I like to say reward) on those days and reward yourself only now and again, I truly believe that you will sustain this WOE for the remainder of your life.
Why make food a reward?

Just my 2 cents!

red
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 09:41

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%

Honestly, everyone is different.

I know that food is something that I love. I miss pasta although with this WOE, I no longer crave it. I think that the weight loss is an accomplishment of willpower and a testament to a true lifestyle change.

If there is something like pasta that I know I like and I am having dinner with my family for a major holiday, I am going to endulge in it that night, and move on, no taking a plate home for the next day. I like to think of it as a reward because I know when I sit down at that table, I have the willpower to get up from it, go home, and get right back to my L/C lifestyle. The reward is knowing that I can eat it, I will be fine and not go back to eating pasta everyday b/c I have worked this L/C plan and have more control.

Hope it makes better sense even though some may not agree. Remember, everyone is different and everyone has what works for them and what doesn't.