Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 09:42

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Symptoms of low blood sugar or blood pressure?

Hi all. Last night I experienced some symptoms and wanted to get some opinions on them.

Yesterday a.m. due to my schedule I was unable to eat breakfast (we were supposed to have breakfast out so didn't take anything and ended up not having time.). We went out for lunch around 1 p.m. and I ate my carb limit for the day plus 10. I must admit that I did have small amounts of items with white flour and/or sugar in them, although I did eat meat and lc veggies for the most part. At around 7:30 p.m. I began getting a bit dizzy so I ate some roast and cheese about 8:30. Pre-Atkins I suffered pretty bad low blood sugar symptoms and cheese always did the trick. Last night it did not. My dizzyness got progressively worse - to the point of major nausea. I finally went and laid down and could literally not move I was so dizzy. While I was lying there I heard a loud popping sound in my ear. I was also having these weird shock-like feelings in my head. They did not hurt, just felt weird. My head was also very cold.

By the way...I've been doing Atkins for 11 months. I'm in OWL. And I've eaten very small amounts of sugar and white flour a very few times since starting, but never had such a bad reaction. I don't think I've ever been so lax about going so long between meals, though.

This morning I feel fine. I am thinking the symptoms are low blood sugar due to me having missed breakfast and eating all my carbs at lunch and waiting 7 more hours to eat again.

Dh is wondering if it has to do with my blood pressure, or possibly my blood thinners.

I did do some research on this forum and all the threads I read indicate that it was probably low blood sugar. But none of the threads described exactly what I experienced, so thought I would ask for opinions. I appreciate any and all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 09:50

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I get this every so often. The popping was probable from our equal librium(sp) being off balance. I always thought it was Low Iron that did it to me. Maybe it was the carbs? I am not sure
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

could you have had a reaction to something at lunch?

When I eat lo-carb wraps and the like, I am fine until I try to eat or drink something else, then I get a wicked upset tummy and headache sometimes--even the shakes.

M
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:04

Stats: 152/146/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 35%

I too have had at least 4 episodes of low blood sugar reactions. Mine however have the following symptoms: shakiness (hands and body), heart pounding, inability to concentrate, nausea, dizziness. If you had low blood sugar prior to LC'ing it may be a good indicator that you waited too long to eat. As far as the blood pressure, from what I've been told is that when you hear a pop in one of your ears, (kinda sounds like only one ear is working) it's because your blood pressure has gone up. Since my reactions, I've had to be cautious in the amount of time that passes between meals. However, isn't this way of eating supposed to stabilize blood sugar level? And what's the correlation to possible diabetes? Wish I could answer more of your questions, but I'm confused about all of this too. When I went to the doctor a few months back he took a blood test (non fasting) around 4:00pm....I had eaten lunch at 12:00 and my results from the test stated that my glucose level was at 70. So, I'm also baffeled by all this.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/189/143 Female 5'7
BF:26%
Progress: 50%

I have had low blood sugar all of my life and your symptoms did sound just like a hypoclycemic episode . What happens is, from the fast point your sugar level is very low,then you loaded up with excess sugars and something sent your sugar above your normal level. It can be quite scary. the first episode I ever had I actually passed out. You really should see a doctor.My doctor is the one who recommended the Atkins diet to me 10 years ago. Did you get cold sweats this can also be a symptom? well good luck . I'm hoping the best for you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:14

BF:

I must admit that I'm not feeling completely fine today...feeling shaking and just not 'right.'

The popping in the ear (yes, only one) being an indication of raised blood pressure is probably why my dh thought it was my blood pressure. I have not heard that. hhhmmm so I guess it might have been my blood pressure.

This woe DOES stabalize blood sugar levels....the problem is that if you eat something with sugars - or wait so long between meals - that you can suffer the symptoms again. It's called reactive hypoglycemia - your body is reacting to your diet with low blood sugar.

The correlation to diabetes is that after having low blood sugar for so long and your body's insulin responses wearing out, it can turn into high blood sugar - diabetes - because your body can't control the insulin any more. I'm not an expert...but I think I explained that right.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

i have had vertigo in the past, and the symptoms you desrcibed is what i experienced. i can't even stand with out getting dizzy, and i have to stay in bed all day, and not move. it goes away after about 8 hrs or so. i would make an appt with your doctor to have it ckecked out.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:26

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

Hey Freckles,
You're probably right about the blood sugar, but I had just read about this in my local paper a couple of weeks ago and thought it was interesting. Who knows?

Alli

'Exploding Head Syndrome' Harmless
Alarming symptoms baffle doctors

Imagine drifting off to sleep only to be roused into a sudden panic by a cataclysmic noise erupting inside your head.
The condition is known as "exploding head syndrome," and people who have been affected by it describe the sound as a violent explosion or an enormous roar "so loud it could kill me." Dr. Joel Saper described the unusual condition last year in a column in the Detroit Free Press.

Don't expect your personal physician to have heard about this phenomenon. It was only reported for the first time by a British physician in 1988. Since then, only a handful of papers have appeared in the medical literature, most of them small collections of case reports.

There's some evidence, however, that exploding head syndrome is far more common than the scanty printed reports suggest. For example, after his column appeared, Dr. Saper reports that he received "numerous letters from readers who have experienced one or more of these episodes and who have been living in fear." A follow-up report shares some of the personal comments from those with the condition.

The medical evidence to date suggests that exploding head syndrome occurs most often when falling asleep. Flashes of light or difficulty breathing often accompany attacks, which occur sporadically and at any age. Stress may contribute to the episodes, which usually disappear without any treatment.

Although alarming, the explosions don't appear to be symptoms of a stroke or other life-threatening conditions. Electroencephalographic recordings of actual attacks show unusual activity in some sufferers but not in others. However, the brain recordings show that attacks are not a form of epileptic seizure.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like low blood sugar to me too. Some low carbers get really bad reactions to a sudden introduction to refined carbs like flour or sugar. Takes awhile for the old insulin factory to remember what to do.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:32
Registered Member

Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've never had the problem with ear popping, but I have had many many low blod sugar reactions since starting Atkins (May 2003). Mine usually manifest themselves by a feeling of shakiness, lightheadeness, a feeling that I can only describe as if ants were crawling over my body (itchiness?), and, when it gets really low sweating so bad my body is covered in persperation. I have been having this problem worse now that I am re-inducting (trying to lose 10 more pounds to go below goal. I have found nothing works except eating carbs. I've tried eating protein but it doesn't help. Oh, well. just trying to get through. If you come up with something that works for you, please let me know.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It kind of sounds like I would go through with low blood sugar.

First I would feel a little light headed. My speech would be slurred and I would sound liek I have been drinking. I would also become a little confused. Then I would get very nausiated, to the point of trying to throw up. Laying down helped, but of course I needed food. The problem was I didn't have the energy or state of being to get up and get food

I've learned that making sure I eat really helps. Also if I watch my carbs much mroe carefully it helps. I've found I just can't have refined sugar, no matter what plan I'm on.

Rozie. You might try eating 6 small meals in the day instead of 3 large ones. don't let long go without having some kind of food in your tummy. Also make sure you are getting enough calories. It could occasionaly be a case of ketosis is supressing your appatite, but your body is demanding more. Have some healthy carbs like veggies and some protien to see if that helps. Also make sure to never have carbs alone without fat and fiber to slow the absorbtion and insulin reaction.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:15

Stats: 335/203/190 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Medical training kicking in here. did you say blood thinners. Did you just start them or have you had you INR checked lately. Not trying to be alarmist but they train docs to think about the worst possibilities first.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:41

BF:

Thanks for the article, Alli. It wasn't a really loud popping, though, like the article describes. And it didn't hurt or anything.

I agree...if you're having low blood sugar symptoms eating more and smaller meals does help. I have gotten to where I can eat 3 meals a day and I'm usually fine...but in the beginning I just grazed throughout the day. It did help.

Hi, fracture...yes...I checked my INR after making the op. It's 2.7, which is about where it should be. It's supposed to be at 2.5 for me. I've had a lot of trouble getting it up there and am glad to see it's there. Yes...I was a bit concerned about it being that too...especially last night. I was supposed to have checked it Sunday, but only had one cuvette left and am having problems with insurance paying for any more...so waited. Not a good idea, but everything is okay in that respect. Thanks for asking.

It sounds like so far the consensus is that it was a low blood sugar reaction, which is what I thought. This is a good thing, as I know how to deal with that.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:53

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Sounds like low blood sugar. I usually notice numbness around the mouth, shakiness,dizzyness, aggitation, crabbyness, then slurred speech b4 hitting the floor.
I carry glucose in my purse because even without skipping a meal it can still happen.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmick
I carry glucose in my purse because even without skipping a meal it can still happen.

That's really the exact opposite of what you should be doing. This could be exacerbating your problems with low blood sugar. Taking sugar when you have a low blood sugar episode will just cause your blood sugar to raise and then crash again. It is akin to eating a Snicker bar. And doing this over and over will contribute to low blood sugar problems and your body's natural insulin control wearing out which is what leads to diabetes. I would recommend you do some research about low blood sugar and how it works (this is of course assuming that you haven't already). A good source of information is a book called The Low Blood Sugar Handbook by Edward and Patricial Krimmel. I don't recommend the diet he has in the book...it did not help my lbs symptoms at all. But there's lots of good info in there about how low blood sugar works in your body and how to keep it from happening. As I said before, pre-Atkins when I suffered the symptoms daily I could eat a piece or two of cheese and that would take care of the symptoms. But different things have worked for different people. You could try nuts or something else that has a very small amount of carbs and some protein.