Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/201/197 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Chips N Crunchies

I bought a bag of low carb soy tortilla chips at the LC shop the other day. Mixed up a bowl of low carb cheeses and spices and dipped and muched and dipped and....*burp*

Anyhow, it has unleashed the beast. I need crunchies, I need munchies. I need those snack foods that replace crispy things.

Suggestions?

The chips are great and I love them. I tried pork rinds in the beginning and ummm... After you eat about 10 of them you get this gunky film in your mouth and it makes me want to....unng.

Ok, back to the better stuff on this topic. Crunchies!

What brands, and where to buy?

Thanks!

Tom C
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:59

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I used to hate pork rinds, but I got desparate for crunchy munchies one day and dug them out of the back of the cupboard. They were the hot and spicy ones and are normaly too hot for me besides tasting wierd, but I had an idea
(or at least remembered reading something about it) to put cream cheese on them.
WOAH, was it good!!!
Crunchy, salty, zesty, creamy, the cream cheese covered the wierdness and cooled the spice down a notch, now it's my favorite study snack!

If you really can't bear pork rinds though try vegies like cellery, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli, or cauliflower in ranch, sour cream, or cream cheese. You can also buy LC tortillas and bake your own tortilla chips, but I'm way too lazy for that.

Good luck! Im going to keep an eye on this thread for other good ideas myself.

Jamian
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/205/155
BF:
Progress: 21%

Pepperoin in the microwave until crisp is good. Also try frying cheese in a frying pan until brown and crunchy, yum!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 16:04

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

yeah! the pepperonis in the microwave are good. i prefer to do them in the over for 5-7 minutres they just seem a little crunchier but the microwave works too. (microwave is perfect for doing it at work)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 21:45

Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%

My current favorite crunchy thing is Just the Cheese chips. They're made from cheese and are extremely low carb. They come in flavors like White Cheddar and Jalepeno and Honey Dijon...mmmmm.

I can sometimes get them at my health food store but mostly buy them online at netrition.com (I have no affiliation with any of these folks). Each bag has 2 servings and they're really good.

I also make a few crunchy things at home, like cheese chips (fry up grated cheese in a pan, then turn over) or extra-thin and ultra-dried beef jerky (made in my food dehydrator--if you leave it on too long they get crisp and almost like a potato chip texture and they're yummy!).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 22:56

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I found some soy nuts in the store that were quite good. 5g for a serving of BBQ flavored. They're called PeaNotz. Nuts are also good, of course. Have you tried the Cheeter's crackers? They're yummy too. Mmm... crunchies.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 23:05

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

In the recipe section,

look up recipes from reader " Snack''.

All kind ot goodies .

Pene
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 23:54

Plan: Personal
Stats: 225/212/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Lately I've been getting Bacon n Cheddar flavoured pork rinds and they're actually really good! They're good on their own, or I melt some cheddar over them in the microwave for some tasty nachos!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 06:02

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I like Dr. A's Crunchers, although I hardly ever buy them because they cost so much...lol. I received a bag in an order from Atkins Center, and then bought a bag at GNC lasts time I bought supplements. They don't have much of a soy taste and I really enjoyed them. Since I don't eat sandwiches anymore, though, I don't often feel the need for chips.

I am dying to try Just the Cheese brand, but so far haven't found any. I can't wait until they start carrying low carb products in grocery stores. :::sigh::: All those chips and crackers and not one of them is low carb.

L
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 06:54

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I just can't bring myself to try fried skin.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:38

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have never tried any store-bought L C product beside shakes, but this month my store had LC bread, and I like it.
The crunch of toast is nice.
BLT sandwich .YUM
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:49

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

For me:

-- veggies with ranch dip (sour cream, hidden valley ranch dip mix, celery salt, and dill)
-- Dr A's crunchers plain (.99 at Walgreen's lately!) w/ranch dip or this great soft cheese spread w/spinach and artichoke hearts
-- various snack nuts
-- dill pickles (but only one because of all of the salt. whew!)

NOT for me:

-- pork rinds (eww, eww, ewwwwww)
-- low carb tortilla chips (tried some once and they tasted so much like soy. blech.)
-- Just the Cheese (I LOVE cheese. I'm from Wisconsin. These were so nasty. They tasted like vomit. urgh.)

lol. Okay, I guess you didn't need to know what I don't like, but I wanted to give my feedback on snacks I've tried.

~Kelly Deneen
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:53

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I use Peanut Butter on Celery for Crunch, but I suppose you mean crunch from chips?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:12
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The problem with the low-carb chips (My favorite are the Keto Nach Cheese ones, btw) is I tend to fall back into my old "eat the whole bag" habit I worked so hard to kick. I can only buy ONE bag, and I put individual servings in little Ziplock baggies and ration them out a serving a day. Otherwise, once the snout goes in the bag, it doesn't com out until they're GONE! That's just not a habit I want to have again. <sigh>
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you're into cooking at all, I have a low carb cracker recipe in the cooking area. They're tasty, but highly caloric! I think I'm going to try to reforumlate them to be lower calorie.