Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/220/165 Female 5'8"
BF:41/?/?
Progress: 51%
Question l-carnitine and thyroid meds?

Haven't posted in a long time.....I'm on .05 of levothyroxine (Synthroid) everyday and wondered if anyone knew if it was bad to take l-carnitine while I was on thyroid meds. I think I was taking it at the beginning of my Atkins journey about a year ago with my thyroid meds and didn't have a problem, but I can't remember. I've been doing induction all along and have been stalled for over 2 months this time....I was going to go back on the l-carnitine...

Thoughts anyone???

Thanks!

Abby

Farmgirl1
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 18:00

Plan: CALP/ATKINS/FAT FAST
Stats: 140/134/120 Female 63 inches
BF:?/22%/19%
Progress: 30%

Abby, don't take l-carnitine at all. It will interfere with your thyroid meds working properly at a cellular level. You can research this on the internet too - perhaps Mary Shomon's site might have something on it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 01:45

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I respectfully disagree with Jen777...and I don't know why someone hasn't answered until now. I have been hypothyroid for almost 37 years....and currently on 150 mcg Levothroid. Since I added 1500 mg L-Carnitine (in divided doses) daily ... which has been over a year ago....I have experienced more energy and stamina....and I can't see anything wrong with taking it. Not only does Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution recommend it in several categories.....but I've just come from Mary Shomon's site....and SHE recommends using L-Carnitine (among other supplements) as a possible metabolism booster when hypothyroid. Farmgirl...you're taking Synthroid, which is a hypothyroid med.....same as Levothroid, which is mine.

If you haven't already....go ahead and try it again. It should be okay..
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:24

Stats: 265/217/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi there,

I saw my thyroid doctor just last week and asked this question - I am on Synthroid and Cytomel - he told me that L-Cartinate was fine to take - just not to take it within the first few hours after taking my thyroid med's....

Jacque
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:26

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I sure don't have an answer but I would definitely ask your physican or pharmacist. It sounds like it is compatible but I wouldn't want you to make an error with something so important .

Orchid