Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/126/120 Female 5'4
BF:26%
Progress: 67%
Default Awful mood on induction ... Is this common?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, although I've been reading everyone else's posts and find them really helpful, so thank you, everyone!

I'm on day seven of Induction, Atkins-style. I've been very strict; total carbs definitely less than 20g a day. Tons of water. While I'm thrilled with the weight-loss results -- and the fact that I'm not hungry! -- I'm really worried about the havoc this WOE seems to be playing with my mood. I'm incredibly irritable, lethargic, depressed, and having trouble concentrating -- I feel like I'm having the worst case of PMS in history. I understand this can often occurs in the first few days, but I was hoping by day seven I'd be experiencing the fabled breakthrough, and feeling just the opposite. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any tips? Should I stick it out? Add more carbs? Help me before I strangle some random stranger on the street!

Thank you!

SelenaK
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 10:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. It's common, though you're right, you usually feel better after a few days. You're right to compare it to PMS: it could be hormonal. Insulin is sort of the "master" hormone, and it has surprising affects on your other hormones. If it's that time of the month, that could be your problem. This will sort itself out within a few cycles.

Are you taking all of your supplements? I would take a multivitamin, calcium/magnesium, and potassium. The easiest way to get more potassium is to use Half Salt or NuSalt, which is 50% potassium.

It could also be that 20 g of carb is too low for you. Since you don't have much weight to lose, you might want to start boosting that a bit sooner. Maybe add in some berries and nuts.

Keep us posted...

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Apr-03-04 at 10:35.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 12:07

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

Hi Selena, I am curious about this too. What time in your cycle is this? i stay lowcarb but have never really done induction and want to but it always seems that the time i decide to start is after ovulation before TOM. And I never feel so good. (understatement ) O read in a lowcarb book that it is much easier to do this when beginning right after your period? well, congrats on your success!!! and i hope you decide not to give up...and not to strangel anyone! have a good weekend, K
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 12:33
Registered Member

Default This gets a little menstrual, sensitive men may wish to skip!

Well, thank you for the quick replies -- wow, the Internet's great, isn't it!

As for TOM, kind of tricky; I'm on the Pill, so my cycle is artificial, so to speak. I don't usually get PMS symptoms when I'm on the Pill (one of the reasons I take it; another one is that I've had benign ovarian tumors in the past, so my doc thinks the Pill is essential). Yes, I'm two days away from the withdrawal week of the Pill. (For those of you who don't know, when you take the Pill, you usually stop taking it every three weeks to allow your body to have a "withdrawal bleed," which is kind of like a period, but not really, in that you're bleeding in response to the withdrawal of artificial hormones, not in response to your own hormones -- it's not really a natural cycle.) But this month is a little different, since I didn't stop taking the Pill during my last cycle, because with my boyfriend visiting from out of town, it would have been really inconvenient to have a period then. (My doctor says it's fine to do that every now and again.) Given this, I reckon my body doesn't KNOW I'm about to have a period. So yes, in a sense, I am premenstrual ... but how the heck would my body know?

Incidentally, it's evening now -- I live in Europe -- and I notice my mood and energy are picking up a bit again, as they have since I started this WOE. Isn't low-carbing supposed to eliminate the afternoon slump?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 13:18

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I'd say boost your carbs a bit too. Induction is supposed to be 20/day, under is ok, but only by a gram or two....otherwise you might not be eating enough.

If you post a day or two's menu most people on here can give you some other suggestions.

Also...are you eating any new foods? You might have an allergy or intolerance. Feeling lousy for a few days on induction is common....it's withdrawal...but you should be over it by the end of the first week or so.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 13:46
Registered Member

Thanks! I'll try boosting the carbs tomorrow by 5 or so grams, and I'll look for a magnesium/calcium/potassium supplement. If that doesn't help after a day or two, I'll post a few menus. I did enter my meals in Fitday, and found that about 70 percent of my calories were coming from fat -- is that too much? I've been taking the advice to eat fat very much to heart, but maybe I'm overdoing it? I'm drowning everything in olive oil. It sure does taste good ...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 19:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/157/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 62%

had the same thing happen to me. But it only lasted about a week
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 19:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Don't worry about the 70% fat, that's what almost everyone has on induction.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 19:42

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I had the same problem. I kept looking for the problems to go away and get the great energy I heard so much about. What I put my poor kids through. My induction mood lasted until about day 11 or so and I didn't get the boundless energy until day 14. Hang it there it does get better.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:23
Registered Member

Just wanted to let you helpful folks know -- day eight and I'm feeling MUCH better! Thanks for encouraging me to hang in there. My dad noticed how much weight I've lost, too, and told me I looked as if I was glowing!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:25
Registered Member

Whoops, I meant day nine ... not that it matters much.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:32

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile

When I was on low carb for the first time I was so tired I could not function, I was not taking the calcium magnesium and zinc and the Potassium, I went out and bought them, and I started taking them in the parking lot of the store, i felt much better later that day.
If you are losing very fast that can happen too, and make sure if you up your carbs you do it with healthy ones, not the low carb bars or something, the last time I was low carbing those bars kicked me right off my woe. It took me a few weeks to get back on. Also, plenty of water is very very important, look at what happens to plants when they need water, they wilt, we do too, but in a differant way. They are finding that dehydration causes a lot of problems that they did not know about , it is so important to get enough water daily, especially on a low carb diet !!
Congrats on the weight lost, you are doing great and I am glad you are feeling better, it just takes time to get there !! Stephie
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 11:45

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I was an evil wench my first few days on plan. I slept a lot and drank a lot of coffee. After 4-5 days I felt like a new person - very happy and clear-minded. HTH!