Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 19:44

Plan: "Toss-The-Scale"
Stats: 153/???/125 Female 64
BF:enough/to/share
Progress: 25%
Default eating lots and scared!

Hi everyone. I've been on the atkins diet since january, lost 7 lbs and recently gained back 4. I was doing a lot of things wrong: lc bars, gobs of peanut butter, tons of coffee and almost NO water. I had become so frustrated and scared at the weight coming back that it culminated in a night of cereal and cliffbars about 5 days ago. When I saw the scale had gotten back to my before weight I cried and cried. But i seemed fated to get to that point, because I managed the impossible - I got my bf to hide the scale... that was 3 days ago. since then I have been re-reading DANDR and I'm ready to try it again... the way it was meant to be. Could someone//anyone please help me out with a little advice?

Question: Today I was REALLY hungry. Previously consuming 1500 cals (or under) for 3 months (less than 50% of which was fat), today I have reached a scary high of 2500 today (belly says it aint done yet). I know that Atkins does not recommend calorie counting, but to loose weight I have heard that keeping it as 10X your body weight is ideal. Is this true? (BTW I do exercise daily). I am really scared that my appetite has been so high lately... especially considering I've eaten so much fat!! (fat 78% )

Question: If my body prefers it's own bodily fat for fuel in the absence of dietary carbs (glucose), great! But what happens to the 2500kcal i ate today? Won't that get stored as bodily fat in some way?

Question:
What can I expect in the way of weight loss when I'm re-starting my diet (as in, doing it the right way) but am not new to low carbing before ... I've heard that the second time it's much harder... (and honestly, I only had 3 days in between "then" and "now")

Question:
Although it may not seem like I have a lot of weight to lose (25lbs), it means everything in the world to me. However, I wonder if it's harder to loose weight when you have less than 20% to loose?

Thanks you everyone for any help you can provide.

Cat-Magnet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 19:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Personally, I count calories on Atkins because otherwise I won't lose. Somedays I'm hungrier than others. I just try to nosh on foods that satisfy me.

I usually find that if I overindulge on low carb foods (not the "treat" foods with sugar alcohols), I won't gain, I just won't lose.

The less weight you have to lose, the slower it will go. Exercise should help speed it up. No one can tell you how much weight you'll lose. That's between you and your individual metabolism and how well you follow the diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 79%

I cannot answer all of your questions, but I can tell you my own experience.
The process of getting into ketosis requires a high percentage of fat and a low percentage of carbs. For a few days (3) I don't worry too much about the calories. Once I am in ketosis, I experience a supressed appetite and loss of cravings. At this time I cut back on calories. Fat helps prevent hunger and the need to continue eating, so make sure you get plenty.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 20:23

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Hi!

I would not worry if you are ravenous for the first few days - as stated above ketosis will suppress your appetite in a few days.

This is also my second time low-carbing and I have found that I must pay attention to calories or I do not lose. I also realized that I did not lose very much in my first three weeks because my metabolism was healing itself from 15 months of low-cal/low-fat dieting at 1100-1300 calories per day. I am slowly building myself up and can lose at 1500-1600 calories per day now. If weight loss is slow in the first few weeks try to be patient because it will pick up as your body heals itself.

Best of luck!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 20:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I agree. I wouldn't worry about calories for the first week or so, even. Your appetite will decrease, and then you'll have a better idea of what your body needs.

I do think calories matter. Even at MY size, I can't go much over 1,800 and still lose.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 21:58

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I don't think you need to worry. Sometimes I eat like that too - like before TOM for instance - and I haven't gained anything back from it yet. Just keep the carbs low, and don't worry about the fat either - my fat % is often around 70-75. Soon your appetite will vanish, and it gets easier to control calories.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 22:41

Plan: Low Carb - My Way!
Stats: 261/177/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi Cat-Magnet!

I'm too new around here to offer any words of advice. I just wanted to pop in and say "You're gonna be okay! You can do this!"

Just listen closely to these wonderful people and they'll guide you on the right path. Don't be hard on yourself - you're human just like the rest of us! Sending you warm wishes!!

~Pam~
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 01:19

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

I feel for you. it seems there isn't a minute that goes by in my day when i'm not thinking about my extra weight and my diet. As to your questions:
1. I find that i don't lose weight unless i eat a little less than i want to. I don't count cals or carbs- i simply ONLY eat a lotta veggies, some eggs, and some meat. I find it much easier to cut out all the man made stuff. Veggies are so low calorie; you can't go wrong, even if you eat too much (as long as they're low glycemic index!) I use only olive oil for cooking fat; and take flax and fish oil--these are the healthiest ways to get your fat in.
If you are stuffing yourself, that means you're eating too much. Maybe part of the reason you are so hungry has to do with your metabolism "healing" itself. Try to differentiate between emotional and physical hunger (one of MY problems). If you are not stuffing yourself, right- don't worry. Pay close attention to your bodies signals. I have battled eating disorders my entire life, and am trying to do it right this time. For me, it means paying intense attention to how i feel both physically and mentally--all of this having to do with how much and what i eat.

2. If you eat too much dietary fat (or protein, or anything) you will not burn it for fuel, and it will be stored. When it comes to the bottom line, ketogenic diets still have to do with eating less and burning more.
My trick is this: Since our bodies burn glucose first, if you have overeaten carbs, make sure to exercise more intensely to use it up. Then eat real clean (and a little less) to get back to where you wanna be.

3.I don't know. Maybe you didn't mess up as badly as you think. Don't worry about it.

4.You have to keep with it, irregardless of how long it might take. It is your life, and it is your health- both physically and mentally. Don't let the depression stop you. Don't let ANYTHING stop you. It isn't easy, AT ALL. But it becomes easier to manage. Just don't get down on yourself. When i am, i exercise (instead falling back into harmful patterns).
Good luck!
Hope
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 08:30

Plan: "Toss-The-Scale"
Stats: 153/???/125 Female 64
BF:enough/to/share
Progress: 25%

Am thoroughly amazed at how nice all you folks are. Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement and advice. Funny, I thought I was going to get a lot more people imploring me to "keep those calories up!" and "eat more fat", but that's not necessarily true, I see, from other people's experiences...

cat-mag