Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 21:00

Plan: "Toss-The-Scale"
Stats: 153/???/125 Female 64
BF:enough/to/share
Progress: 25%
Default Weird numbers from FitDay...

Hello all. I wanted to ask about the exercise calculations in FitDay - specifically, the calories burned for the various activities. EG: for the activity: Walking, 4.5 mph, level, firm surface, very very brisk pace FitDay calculates that 30 minutes burns 105 calories. But when I do this with my Polar Heart monitor on, it reports that I have burned nearly 3X as many calories as FitDay. I have also had this experience when I jog or run - FitDay appears to calculate a much lower calorie burn than my heart monitor, or the heart rate monitor at the Gym, which is pretty much the same as mine...

Anyone have info advice about this?

Cheers!
cat-magnet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

I do agree with you but I say just go with it. You can never go wrong by undercalculating how much you burned.

I workout almost an hour every day and they tell me everytime I"ve only burned 200 cals. There is no way but whatever....I just go with what they tell me.

Good luck
Jenny
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 16:35
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

I persoanlly wouldn't believe any of those figures. Everybody is different, everbodies metabolism is different. If the number crunching on fitday was accurate, I would look like a starving Ethiopian right now, obviously I don't, LOL! I mean, it's ok to track your calories, just don't believe the calories burned part of it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 15:10

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I think the calories burned calculation is way too low for certain activities. It's a running joke that I'll tell dh I need to burn an extra 7 calories...

Jen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 06:33

Plan: Moderate carbs
Stats: 155/151/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 40%

Yeah i think FitDay is way off on some stuff. I know when I plug in my bike riding (stationary so I know how far and for how long I rode) it says for 50 minutes at "moderate" pace I burned 379 cal. but I just say ok 200 lol. My BF plays soccer and he had me look that up. It said for 50 min "competitive" he burns 350 or something and he's like umm NOT..it's way more! Has to be more for soccer. I watch him and he's a dripping sweaty mess (well all of them are) when he's done.