Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 08:03

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Scale-aholics

Attention all you scale-aholics out there - the addiction is not all bad. When I gain, I pay extra careful attention to my eating until I start losing again. And when I lose, I can't wait to get here and change my profile. Are there any others out there like me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 08:10
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yup, I'm the same way. Soon as it shows I'm down I'm running downstairs to turn on the computer and log on to change my profile.

Keep up the good work.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 08:38

Plan: lc plan
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 0'0
BF:
Progress: 86%

the scales scare me! i got on them the other night but it had been three weeks since my last weigh in. what brand of scales do you have? mine are digitial but i don't think they are very accurate. if my DH gets on them and it says he weighs X amount and it resets and I step on it it will say I weigh the same thing. Then you let it sit awhile and I get on and it says I weigh Y, well if he gets on it says the same thing! so i doubt the accuracy of it. And at the gym we have the old fashioned scales but to stand on them you are very near the doors and I don't want to be standing there in next to nothing when that thing flys open!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 09:12

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

i too am addicted to the scale. but it's the only thing that can really guide me because i feel like i can't see myself for what i REALLY look like. if i see that the scale says "126 pounds," i know i've been good! haha... if i've gained any weight, i know it's time to evaluate my food choice (calories, sodium, water, etc.). a pound or two isn't going to necessarily show up in the mirror.

what i do though is wait til i get to the gym to weigh. for two reasons:
1) it motivates me to go to the gym
2) i find that anything less quality than a professional doctor-style scale that you push the weights around on doesn't give me an accurate reading... no point in buying a scale if it's going to lie to me like the mirror does!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 09:54

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I am the same way. THough Stalls are hard to deal with.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 10:02
Krazy Karb Kel

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 174/154/135 ? Female 5 feet or so
BF:not sure....
Progress: 20%

I like the scale, but I think my trusty jeans are the most accurate. I like to put them on about once a week, straight from the dryer. THey are a great indicator, baggier, tighter, Can I EVEN button them???..LOL

In my photo, those are the jeans. No stretch, just good old Levi's. When I first bought them, I could barely snap them, but I promised my self I would fit into them.

I also use the measuring tape on my waist and sometimes thigh or arm.

The scale just seems to "flighty". I threw mine away a few weeks ago and have decide to only weigh at the gym for awhile, cause I was getting tooo obsessed with hopping on it literally 10 times a day. Even in the middle of the night after I would go to the bathroom...That seemed crazy!!!
Anyway..to each his own!
!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I will admit to be addicted. I weigh everyday....but if I go up it helps me watch my intake of salt and stuff that day. I use a postal scale I got at Sam's for $49. It can measure everything from an envelope to a 300 lb person. It's pretty cool I think.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 11:55
Registered Member

Stats: 270/194/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 84%

Scales? What scales? I started Atkins January 16 and have been diligently following the low carb plan. I did not weigh myself before I started and I have not weighed myself since. Like Deshukel, I use my trusty jeans to keep me apprised of my progress.

6 inches and better fitting dress shirts later all is going well !
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:04

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanKH
Attention all you scale-aholics out there - the addiction is not all bad. When I gain, I pay extra careful attention to my eating until I start losing again. And when I lose, I can't wait to get here and change my profile. Are there any others out there like me?

Me too, Susan. I am learning to use the scale as a tool and not my higher power.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:20
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutstan
Scales? What scales? I started Atkins January 16 and have been diligently following the low carb plan. I did not weigh myself before I started and I have not weighed myself since. Like Deshukel, I use my trusty jeans to keep me apprised of my progress.

6 inches and better fitting dress shirts later all is going well !

How do you know you weighed 270 when you started then and now weigh 265?Hummmmm!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:42

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I weigh every day but i also dont sweat a couple pounds either way as I understand that those daily fluctuations are normal.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:55

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

I'm a scale-aholic, but it has been good for me.

I purchased a body fat scale and that has helped me see the progress every day.

When I notice that I'm not losing any weight, I can usually see that my body fat % is going down. I'm losing fat, but gaining muscle (which is more dense), so my overall loss is 0, but I'm not discouraged by it.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:12
Registered Member

Stats: 270/194/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 84%
Wink

AFwife, That is what I think I weighed during my physical taken in Spring '03 before Boy Scout Camp, but honestly I don't remember, and the fact remains, I have not touched a scale since then.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, the YMCA & praying like the dickens!
Stats: 240/228.5/125 Female 63
BF:God Only Knows!
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up scales scales scales

I think scales are a great thing, when done in "moderation". I weigh in daily first thing in the morning right after my shower. I realize there will be slight fluctuations, but I don't sweat it because I know I'm doing it right and exercising. I'm on Induction, so I'm pretty limited in the way of foods & where exactly to keep my carbs, it's scary to think when I start upping them if the loss stops, so www.fitday.com is a great source to keep track of what I eat.

I can see in the back recesses of my mind how I can truly get addicted to steppin on the scale lots of times during the day, but I try to squelch those nasty thoughts..................I already see myself sort of doing it with food, but unlikely at my weight I'll end up anorexic or anything

Clothing is a great indicator too, because sometimes the scale won't show a loss but your body does, I think when you're losing, one doesnt' always catch up with the other on a timely basis!

Keep up the losing, have a great day!

C
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:36
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal

I'm a "scale lover" (hmmm...prob lost several friends with that comment).

...but I'm just like Susan...when it goes up, it stiffens my resolve, when it goes down, it's cool and i'm encouraged to maintain.

I manage the stalls by looking at my trend over time (I chart my weight on excel).

It's ok to be a scale lover if you use it as a tool, it's just not ok if it rules your emotional outlook.