Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default 20 Carbs

Is it true that if you eat below 20 carbs a day your body will go into starvation mode and you wont lose any weight?

The only thing I know (have heard and believe) about the 20 carb limit is that if you eat 20 carbs or less it produces the same result. In other words if you limit yourself to 10 carbs you aren't doing your body any good because you would get the same results at 20.

Some input on this would be very helpful. I've been reading about it lately and am confused. If someone could point it out in the book also that would be great.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:48

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

No!!!!!

Atkins first book printed in 1972 which was a 0 carb diet. I do this 72 version a lot. It gets you into Ketosis, depply. Only thing they recomend is adding veggies within a few days (more I should Say)

You will be more tired at first also.

Totally no true, 0 carb will not put you into starvation.... lack of calories will
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

That is false - 20 is the max on induction, and they should come from veggies and salads. Anything under won't put you into starvation, but make sure you do get your veggies for your health
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:00

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well from the number of people I have seen on here over the last 14 months, posting that they are stalled, many of them had made the mistake of thinking if 20 carbs works less will work better????? In most cases, that is not true.
What is true is Atkins set it at 20 carbs a day in his lastest book for good reason, so that is what should be followed.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:02

BF:

This is good to know.

The thing that worries me now is that the last week and a half I thought I was doing a body good. I went back to induction but this time I've only been getting 10-13 carbs a day, I am satisfied though. The thing that worries me now is that I have been getting as low as 750 calories and as high as 2000 through out the week and a half. Could that be bad?

EDIT: Sorry Kathy we must have posted at the same time. I understand that lyou are supposed to eat 20 carbs and that Atkins recommended it. But I guess my main question should be more like is it true that eating less than 20 is bad?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

As long as the 750 calorie days are balanced by the 2000 calorie days, everything should be fine. Balance is the thing to strive for!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:39

BF:

Thanks Karen. Is there a reason for the balance of daily calories? Can you lead me to some good info about this? I will look for it myself also, just easier for someone to point it out.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:51

Plan: Atkins now SB (trying)
Stats: 173/145.5/125 Female 5'2 (Still) lol
BF:
Progress: 57%

This is all GREAT information. I'be been doing well "trying" to have 2 big salads a day but lately I've faltered and I KNOW I have not had 20 carbs per day.......I was getting concerned that this was causing my dilemma ....maybe I'm not drinking enough water....because my losses have slowed considerably - I started on Feb 6th.....lost 16 lbs......last week I gained 2 - now this week I've had 2 days where I lost 1/2 lb..........When oh when is my "whoosh" coming!

The "stick" says pink too! They tick me off as well....do ketones weigh anything??? LOL
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

As long as you're getting enough veggies, it's okay to go under 20 g. That 20 g can include cheese, cream, coffee, salad dressings with a bit of added carbs... none of these things are necessary, they just happen to be permitted.