Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 22:21

Plan: Low Carb - My Way!
Stats: 261/177/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Newbie Question - What about LC and TOM?

Hi Everyone!

I've looked around, but haven't seen a clear answer to my question. Do painkillers (ibuprophen, acetominophen, etc.) have any effect on LC'ing? The TOM has hit and I will be in agony tomorrow.

I guess I'm thinking those little pills are nothing but big lumps of starch! And you know the advil? They're sweet and you can suck on them until you have enough spit worked up to swallow them....gotta be sugar - ugh!

Anyway, if one of you wonderful souls could come along and let me know if I can take them with no ill effect or if I have to buck up and take the TOM like a man (lol), I would really appreciate it!

Pam

p.s. If you all say I can, I think my hubby will be a much happier with me for the next few days!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 05:15

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I personally do not take them. I used to pop Tylenol everyday before starting LC. I use those heat pads, and it helps. Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:34

Plan: low carbs and low GI inde
Stats: 225/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?Don't Wanna Know!
Progress: 67%
Default Pain Pills

I have only been dedicated LC since Jan 1 and used to be very dependant on ibuprofen .....I don't need them anymore. Hopefully the same will happen for you in a couple months as it did for me. I think a lot of it has to do with how much more water I am drinking everyday. I try to increase my water afew glasses a day near this time and it seems to help me. This is the first month I have noticed no bloating - last month it was minimal - this month it's nonexistent. As for pain it was very minimal last month and hopefully gone this month - won't know for a few days yet.

I would think it makes more sense to be confortable than in pain so if it were me I would take them if I needed them. I did in January.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:02

BF:

Thanks you two for responding. I just don't want to do anything that could possibly mess up this wonderful thing I've got going here! So far... no pain - I'm amazed and just waiting for it to strike. Maybe the whole water thing is really helping... I can only hope!

I'm staying off the scale until next week - I don't need the disappointment that I'm sure will be there right now. I love this WOE - I have so much energy - where did it all come from?!? I started walking yesterday - woohoo!!

Thank you again - It's so nice to know that when I need something all of you are here - simply incredible! I hope I can be so helpful to someone else one day!

You're the best!

~Pam~
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm suffering a very bad and painful TOM right now. (I have endometriosis). I couldn't live without the Ibuprofen. It hasn't effected my weight loss.

Vicki B.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:37

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I guess the only way to find out is try. I wouldn't want to be in too much pain
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

As a wonderful and wise person on here told me - if you need it, take it! This way of life isn't about being in physical pain.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:48

BF:

Thanks you guys! (umm Gals!)

So far so good! I'm really hoping that everything I'm doing to improve my health will carry over to TOM as well - hey.. you never know!

Normally I would be popping the pills in advance to ward off any pain before it hits. I'm going to wait and see and only use them if I have to. I'm amazed - first day of a period and I feel fabulous, what's up with that?!?

Thank you again, I truly appreciate all of you!

~Pam~