Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 06:43

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default 20 carb daily plan FOR YOUR REVIEW

Okay please check my daily 20 carb plan.
I may not eat all of this each day, but in I've made this plan to follow. High in monounsaturated fats and protein.

I subtract fiber.
mufa oil = olive or hazelnut or avocado oils
Please review and comment. Someone may find it helpful?

20 Carb Daily Meal plan (max carb listed)

Breakfast –
2 Egg omelette
WITH any lc veg/mufa oil----5

Lunch –
Protein/mufa oil
2 oz mac nuts
OR 1/2 avocado
OR 2T P or macnutbutter------5

Dinner –
Protein
WITH lc veg/mufa oil-----5

Snack –
2 oz mac nuts
OR 1/2 avocado
OR 2T P or macnutbutter------5

Total 20 carbs (or less if eat less)

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Tue, Oct-30-01 at 07:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 09:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb hi Nancy

Looks pretty good ... Protein Power recommends dividing the carb allotment evenly through the day, as you have done.

Does your plan allow the flexibility to have a few more carbs at a meal if the snack is lower than the 5 carbs? For example, 2 oz macadamias would yield approx. 2g carbs (after fiber) .. so you could have 8g carbs with the evening meal? This would permit a little more variety ... 5g carbs per meal is quite limiting ... especially if your protein also has some carbs (eggs, cheese, ham, seafood, sausage, etc.). I'm sure you'd like a little more veggie variety than just salads, broccoli and spinach ...

Also, do ensure that your portions of protein are adequate. You should be consuming a bare minimum of 60g per day ... one large egg has 6g protein in it ... so 2 eggs for brekkie is only 12g to start your day off.

Do be aware that the essential fatty acids in oils are destroyed by heating and cooking. I mention this because in your journal I see that you're using the nut oils for cooking. Don't ... Instead, use them unheated for dressing food and salads. Olive oil, butter and canola are the most stable for cooking with, ie their fatty acid profile doesn't change.

Your plan looks do-able, as long as you're careful to get enough protein.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:11

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Let me respond to each of your wonderful points.

Yes, I have divided up the carbs throughout the day - feel better that way overall.

Does your plan allow the flexibility to have a few more carbs at a meal if the snack is lower than the 5 carbs?

Yes, of course, if a meal comes out to only 2 carbs, I might have an extra amount of veggie or some more nuts. Of course it's all flexible. I don't eat ham/seafood or sausage because of the high salt contents. I only eat unprocessed foods. I do count my egg carbs as .6 carbs per egg (I round up to one)...

Also, do ensure that your portions of protein are adequate.

Yes, and thank you I will. I have for the first time put protein in each meal. It is an adjustment for me, since I usually skip the protein or just do a spinach salad. I think in the future I will be getting plenty of protein. But hey, watch my menus and get onto me if I don't!

QUESTION. I only COOK with oils that say on them "okay for stir fry or high heat cooking" - I know this means they won't burn/smoke - and does that mean that the essential oils are preserved too since they are considered stable at high temps? These oils are sesame, canola and avocado oils.
Am I right?
Olive oil is not good for cooking/frying at high heat. It smokes and burns at low temps.
I'll add only the macademia nut, hazelnut, olive oil after the food is on my plate. use them as unheated dressing for food and salads.

QUESTION - what will happen if I DON'T get enough protein /besides possible muscle loss? I know the importance of getting enough - for body functions, I mean weightloss wise???
As long as I'm getting enough fat I seem to stay in ketosis...

Thanks again, I will keep ALL these pointers in mind.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:42

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default learn something new every day

.... i have always believed this to be true, but Doreen, having you around and reading all your knowledge has made the past three weeks "learning SO MUCH every day.
Thank you!!