Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%
Default For people who started last summer or before

I have been stalled since December. Partly, I fell into bad habits etc, but I have been fairly strict for more than a month now and I've been on very strict induction for a week. Nothing is happening.

My question is: did you experience steady weight loss, or after a while, did months go by with no change? Basically: am I weird or is this fairly normal?

Last edited by NYorker : Wed, Mar-31-04 at 07:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:55

Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

well, since i don't really know you, i can't say whether or not you're really weird! anyhow, i can say that the stall in weight is probably pretty normal. i have been on atkins for 11 months, but the last 4 or 5 months, i have been up and down the same 2-3 lbs. i was on an upward trend, so i re did induction just to get the weight off before it got out of hand. the results were not very dramatic for the second induction, but i did get back to where i wanted. now, if i could shed those last 4 lbs! i am comforting myself by telling myself that the longer it takes to lose the last few pounds, the longer they will stay gone. i am learning now a lot of things about my eating and my habits, and i am learning to take control of them. just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing, and the results will eventually show up!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:35

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I went from losing 2 pounds a week for almost 6 months, to then losing 1 pound a week for the next few and then after OD ing on sugar free chocolate I stopped losing and began gaining. Still staying on low carb foods, never cheating. I think the sugar alcohols really messed up my metablism or something. I've essentially stalled for 5 months, just up and down the same 10 pounds.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:36

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My weightloss has not been steady. I have spent more time being stalled than I have spent losing. However, I do consider myself highly successful at this woe. I have lost a total of 26 lbs...the most I have ever lost on any weightloss attempt. Every year, my New Years resolutions are always to become more organized and to lose weight. Well, thanks to lc, I have become more organized when it comes to my food choices. I realize that when I gained weight over the years, I am sure I did not gain it in a steady manner. If I had ( gained steadily ) I would have a lot more weight to lose. Now I have only 12 lbs to lose to reach my goal. I believe that I will eventually make it!

Good Luck,
B57
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%

Oh yeah, I went through this. I remember the day my loss started to stall. It was Halloween last year and we went to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. That next morning, weight gain (I didn't cheat, and up until that point I had only experienced the downward scale movement, I didn't have a clue what was going on) and from that point on it has taken me 5 months to let go of 15 more pounds, where as I was losing 15 pounds a month leading up to that fateful day (hehe). The first four months I lost about 65 pounds, but I did suffer the side effects of rapid weight loss. Hindsight being 20/20, I would take those side effects any day for the short time frame I went through it, but at this point I'm content with the slower loss as it has given my body a chance to completely adjust.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:53
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I lost steadily. I stuck to the acceptable foods and stayed the course. When I did cheat, I made sure it was only 1 item on 1 day and it was always something without sugar. NEVER a whole day or continuous cheating, i.e. 3 days in a row. I found out around Valentines day, after really screwing up eating a whole bag of Hershey kisses, that my weight slowed down to a crawl. I only lost 1lb every other week. I think that the sugar is what does the damage more than anything else. I did end up reaching my goal weight of 155lbs, but decided to restart because I still have too much fat on my body. I am now working at toning up with Pilates. I realize that when I used to weigh 135-140, I felt very healthy and was athletic. This is what I'm working toward, instead of just being "thinner".

melissa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:59

Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I started this the end of Aug and I have had my ups and downs and stalls all over the place. I started off losing on average 10lbs a month, now I am lucky to lose 3 lbs a month. I have went for a month with out losing any weight but I have lost inches. I just keep at it and hope that it will come off eventually. I also started walking at the end of january when I didn't lose anything for about a month. The inches came off fast but weight wise still slow.
angie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 09:12

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

Hey Nyorker, I guess you're in NYork? As in New York? Well, I think that we northerners tend to eat alot more towards the end of the winter because we can't get outside and we don't have much light, etc. Maybe you're eating just one thing extra per day, and the pounds just aren't moving anymore.

I have been stalled since Xmas, and I have even put on a few pounds, too (last night's dinner of three bacon cheeseburgers hold the bun prolly didn't help, either!)

You're not alone!

Good luck breaking the stall

M
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 09:17

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

After 4 months I stalled big time!!!! then I went up and down and I am working through another up down again. hang in there
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 09:55

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I started this WOL last year at the end of May (right after our Memorial Day weekend pig-out). I have not gone "off-plan" since I began, except for my occasional exception of thin-crust cheese pizza. It is my only "cheat". I was 169 when I started, and my goal weight was 139 (since I was in the 130s during most of h.s., that sounded good to me). I reached goal weight in the fall after losing slowly and steadily. I stayed between 135 and 139 for about 3 or 4 months, and then the weight started falling off again. I didn't even plan it, but I have been keeping up on my maintenance. It seems my body got used to being in the 130s and decided I could stand to be a little thinner. lol. I'm not complaining. Over the last 2 months, I have been between 125 and 127. I have definitely been doing the plateau thing, but I assume it is because my body is comfortable at those weights. Great job to everyone!

~Kelly Deneen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 10:10
Registered Member

Stats: 225/180/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I have been on this WOE since last June. I would have periods of steady weight loss, with periods of stalls lasting 3 or 4 weeks at times. Since mid Feb I have been in a BIG stall, but also I am 5 lbs away from my goal weight. But, since Feb, I have been adding in more carbs in form of vegs and low carb tortillas.
I want to get to my goal weight, even though I feel great where I am. As weather gets nicer and I'm able to get out and exercise more, I think things will change.

Good luck
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 10:10

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I started at the end of last May, and after 2-3 mos I stalled for 7 miserable weeks. Not only did I stall, I GAINED weight I was totally discouraged. During this time I went to an out of state conference that was catered. There was not much there that was LC friendly, and I used it as an excuse to totally blow it. When I got back I was 5 lbs heavier. I got right back on the wagon, lost those 5 and moved right past my stall point. I haven't had a really long stall since then, although there have been a few times I have gone several weeks with no loss.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 10:53

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%

We all have our stalls and ups and downs. I started counting caleries along with carbs and things started moving again..

Look at all of us and what you have already done. It WILL happen.

Good luck,
Kat
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 10:59

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I have been on plan since May. The first 4 months I lost about 55 lbs. It took me another 4 months to lose the last 10. It was discouraging, but I kept with what I was doing and it did finally come off. Now the maintaining. I am working on that one.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 11:12
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Talking

I restarted this January. Before I used to loose 2-3lbs each week suring the summer. But these days I'm lucky to lose that. Im losing on average 1-2lbs, sometimes ZERO.

Personally I think my rate of loss is effected by all this cold NY weather. Its like a winter blues thing.

I dunno, perhaps I am weird too.

Dewi