Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 17:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/210/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Fat Fast

Hi all:

Just looking for some suggestions about the FAT FAST. I am considering giving it a go for a few days and would like to ask anyone who has been done it in the past, or is doing it now, for their input. I have been stuck for the last little while. Don't know if it is a plateau or if I am resisting the loss. I know that I have a VERY VERY SLOW metabolism so that could be some of the problem. I am going to start exercising and see if that will help too. Now that the snow is finally clearing up and it looks that Spring may be out there somewhere, I will be able to start walking again.

I would really appreciate any information you guys and gals can give me. Happy LCing and hope to hear from you soon.

Mar
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 17:43

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I have never done the fat fast, but lawoman was on it for a while. She is now on the South Beach diet, I see from her profile. You could go to her journal and ask her questions about the fat fast. I am sure she would be glad to answer your questions.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 08:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am on the fat fast. I started on Friday. I have been very careful to stick to only the foods on the list - I admit I am very hungry. I am drinking a ton of water inbetween "meals" to try to keep me full. I am going to weigh in on Wednesday, and will decide then if I can stay on it a little longer or go on to the next level.

How are you doing? Did you start it?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 21:07
Registered Member

BF:
Default Glad I found you!!!

Hi jun keater:

Well I was so glad to hear from you. Sounds like this FAT FAST needs lots of determination. I am going to start tomorrow morning. I am going to do it for the four days and then switch to the next step. Is that what you are planning on doing? Surprised to hear you are hungry. Dr. A seemed to think you wouldn't be with all the fat one eats. Mind you there isn't a whole lot of food. Have you tried the whipping cream and sugar free maple syrup? Not much choices but I guess it is so restrictive so it will shock your body into losing. Have you been struggling with losing also? I'm just in such a rut and I need something to keep me focused because I don't want to cheat and blow what I have lost so far. I did that at Christmas and it takes so long to get remotivated. So I will percervere and do whatever it takes to get myself in the losing mode once again.

We will have to keep in touch and let each other know how we are making out on the FF. I wish you luck and remember it is only for 4-5 days. Thats not even a week. WE CAN DO THIS!!! Thanks for dropping by and glad to know I am not alone out there. Hope to hear from you soon.

Marilyn
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 08:52

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

I tried it and I found that cream cheese and macadamia nuts work the best at keeping me full. tuna just made me hungry, but I did sneak in some bacon and sausage (small amounts) and still found that I was in DEEP ketosis. Just some suggestions.....but I'm wondering if this hinders you from getting into a good level of ketosis later on when your doing regular induction...not sure since I don;t keep accurate count of my carbs anyway. I just eyeball it for the most part, but I tested today and I'm in moderate ketosis...which of course is better than nothing!
Happy Fasting!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 09:07

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I don't know if it is true hunger or just knowing I can only eat small amounts. I have been drinking a ton of water to keep me filled up. The hardest part to give up was my morning coffee - for 2 days I had a horrible headache. I think if I continue this I might add one cup of coffee in the morning - but make it 1/2 the caffeine kind.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 09:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Just rememebr coffee has carbs, even decaf. Plus add the carbs for what ever you put in it,
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:12

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

you shouldn't be hungry!!!! On a fat fast you eat 200 calories 6 times a day. I did it last month and was always belching!!! LOL
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:29

Stats: 160/160/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can I ask a stupid question...what is fat fast? I read the Atkins book, but it was over a year ago, and I don't remember this at all. I've seen two posts about it today and was just wondering what it is.

Thanks in advance for answering the question of an Atkins newbie :-)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mar. Personally, I would use the fat fast as a last resort. My personal observations are that most of the time, stalls are (a) inevitible and normal, (b) caused by eating something "stally", and/or (c) not getting certain nutrients that your body needs for efficient fat loss: essential fatty acids, chromium, etc. Why don't you post a day or two's worth of menus so we can have a gander? Who knows, there could be something in there that'll make us go, "a-ha."

A lot of people have success - and a little less greif - on Atkins KIS, which is simply induction minus the processed food, dairy and artificial sweeteners. It's basically plain meat, fats, eggs and veggies... not much else. A little boring, but at least you shouldn't be hungry.

BTW, I just read your intro thread again. Sorry I never got back to you. The reason you couldn't PM was that you need to have 25 posts first.

Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 12:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/145/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 92%

hi guys,

is there a link i can go to to read about the fat fast?

thanks!

Kimmy
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 17:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girliegrly
hi guys,

is there a link i can go to to read about the fat fast?

thanks!

Kimmy

Hi Kimmy:

I found the link for the FAT FAST on the search engine. Just went and typed in ATKINS -FAT FAST and went thru the Atkins info until I found something about it. I started it today. Not going too badly. Trying to drink lots of water . Had an ounce of macadamia nuts for brekkie and two boiled eggs with 2 tsp mayo mixed in to make devilled eggs. I will only stay on this for 4 days as suggested in the Atkins book. It is based on a 1000 calorie diet and is designed for those of us who are resistant to weight loss. Hoping to get a kick start out of this so I can start losing again. Don't think I will try it too often. Says it could be dangerous for some folks as the weight loss is very rapid. Hope you find it OK.

Marilyn