Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 21:53
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Language and the meaning of "Fat"

I'm wondering for any of you out there who speak languages other than English... what are the distinctions between someone who is overweight and food fat?

I was thinking about it today. I lived in Austria for a while, and the word for fat (as in fat in food) is 'fett'. But you really wouldn't call someone fett. (And not because you're trying to be polite.) To describe an overweight person you'd use 'dick' which literally means 'thick'. So there is a word for fat you find in foods, and a word for the 'fat' you would use to describe a person.

Is it like this in other languages? Because honestly... would so many people be terrified of fat if it weren't the word we use to describe people who are overweight?

(I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but I searched around and couldn't find a thread. So I'm asking everyone else.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 22:04
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I know in French they are different. Fat as in body type is 'gros' (I think that's even worse than being called fat!) and dietary fats are 'grasse' I think.

Valerie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 05:47
3 Days at a Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I know in French they are different. Fat as in body type is 'gros' (I think that's even worse than being called fat!) and dietary fats are 'grasse' I think.

Valerie

That's kinda funny, because 'gross' is large in German. I only took French for a semester, but it was long enough to realize that it didn't have much in common with German.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I know grandma and dad who were very British, used to call fat people "portly". I HATE that word!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 06:10
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Bree,

I never thought about the fact that using the same word for food and people helps to villify the food, but I think you are absolutely right about this. One of the reasons it was probably so easy to convince Americans that fat in food will lead to them being fat is because of the use of the same word for two very different phenomena.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 06:40
3 Days at a Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz175
Bree,

I never thought about the fact that using the same word for food and people helps to villify the food, but I think you are absolutely right about this. One of the reasons it was probably so easy to convince Americans that fat in food will lead to them being fat is because of the use of the same word for two very different phenomena.

I'm really interested in finding out how the slang term 'fat' for overweight people evolved.

There's also the fact that I had to go look up the word 'fett' in German, because in 9 months living there not one person said it. I'd heard people described as overweight, so I knew that word. But I'd never heard someone talk about the fat content in their food.

Are other cultures nearly as obsessed as we are?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I think we should start a new trend and call heavy people "carby" or "sugary". I like "sugary" it sounds sweet rather than evil! HAHA

Orchid
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:41
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

The southern part of the US is less favorable to large folx as far as "definition" goes. I have heard large people referred to as "Porker", "Porky", "Hogette"...and the ever popular "Lard Ass".

Unfortunate but true. Good news is they only say it to me or around me once. I do not like abuse in any form toward any person. I let folx know when I am displeased. I do displeased very well at my age and temperament.