Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/145/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default why is this happening to me?

so, i'm starting my fourth week of atkins and in all of my third week, i didn't lose any weight. what is going on? i'm still at a loss of 9 pounds in three weeks? i've been soo strict with EVERYTHING. i don't even have the diet rite that i bought in my second week in fears of it getting in the way somehow. i weighed myself again this morning, thinking that i'm experiencing the "whoosh" factor again--but nothing. what is going on? does anyone know? has this happened? have you gone a week without losing even ONE pound?

thanks in advance.

Kimmy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: THE ZONE
Stats: 248/240/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 8%

Us chicks get a raw deal when it comes to weight loss! Maybe you're retaining water because of TOM?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

You just lost 9 pounds in only 3 weeks...are you kidding me? WHAT are you complaining about??? That is great!!
So you didn't lose any this past week? Give your body a chance to adjust...It will happen.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:33

BF:

fatfreak... i'm about to come to that TOM, but i don't know how i'd be retaining water...i drink soo much of it--and as a result, i get to go to the bathroom all the time!

osuzana...i guess that is good...but i've been expecting to lose more...you know? i hope my body DOES adjust soon. it's adjusted to the whole water thing...i drink soooo much water everyday.

thanks again guys.

Kimmy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins is not a quick weight loss diet. Most lose really well the first two weeks, then have a small stall or slow down the third week as the body catches it's breath so to say. After that weight loss continues at a slow pace with occasional ups and stalls along the way. It won't comne off all at once, or every single day. If you have patience and keep plugging away it will come off though. Always look back and tell yourself "I'm bette roff then I was three weeks ago. And in 3 more weeks I'll be even better off as long as I don't quit"
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:36

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I ALWAYS gained at TOM no matter how much to the plan I stuck. I always got the whoosh shortly after though so I wouldn't worry so much about it. Chart it in your journal each month so that you can possibly find your body's own pattern so you won't have to freak every month when you start to notice the scale stick (or rise as it did in my case) in any case it seems like you are doing a fantastic job. Grats on the weight loss so far!

Jenn
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:42

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

post us a daily menu.. maybe you are eating something you shouldnt be
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 12:22

BF:

thanks again guys...matt, below is an example of my daily menu:

breakfast: water. usually a cheese omelet--but for the last couple of days...eggs over medium or scrambled. water.

lunch: water. usually a salad (romaine lettuce) with chicken breast or tuna fish, with my own dressing--mayonaise with cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika...salad has a little bit of celery and red onions. water.

dinner. usually some sort of grilled, baked or sauteed meat...be it chicken, or red meat, usually cooked in olive oil (salt and pepper to taste) when grilling...my own homemade rub. a side of cucumbers. and some steamed veggie--broccoli with cheese? water.

i drink a lot of water throughout the day...most likely more than 8 glasses. i don't snack--although i probably will start now because i just discovered the spicy pork skins. i'm really, really, really, strict.

what do you think?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 12:31

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hormones always interfere. Maybe your body is just getting used to your new way of eating and you need to shake it up a little. Are you getting enough fat in your diet? That can slow weight loss if y ou don't.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 12:34
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Your menus look good! Just stick with it and you will start losing again. Lots of people stall for a couple of weeks after induction and then begin losing again.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 12:39
Registered Member

Stats: 177/154.0/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

girliegrly - don't get discouraged think of the positive...you've lost 9lbs in 3 weeks! You mention that you are being so "strict" and you sound a little stressed. I stressed big time my 3rd and 4th week and lost only a 1lb or so but its only been 6 weeks and I'm down 17.5 lbs! I stopped weighing myself every day and now only weigh/measure on Sunday mornings. I make sure I drink tons of water and I also make sure I get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day! The exercise is really important! Keep the faith and it will come off I promise.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 14:29
Registered Member

Stats: 154/146.5/125 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 26%

I've been doing this diet for about 2 months now and have only lost 7lbs. I wish I would have lost 9lbs. in three weeks. That would have been great. I keep loosing inches though. I usually loose that first and then the pounds show on the scale. Last month I had to cheat to get TOM to come and this month I'm late again. I'm not going to cheat to get it to come this time. I don't mind not having one. Anyhow Congrats. on the weight loss. It will come off. It's not healthy to loose it to quickly.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 15:01
Slowly I turn

Plan: Atkins restart 3-17-10
Stats: 195.5/170.6/135 Female 5'5
BF:48%/37%/20%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girliegrly
so, i'm starting my fourth week of atkins and in all of my third week, i didn't lose any weight. what is going on? i'm still at a loss of 9 pounds in three weeks? i've been soo strict with EVERYTHING. i don't even have the diet rite that i bought in my second week in fears of it getting in the way somehow. i weighed myself again this morning, thinking that i'm experiencing the "whoosh" factor again--but nothing. what is going on? does anyone know? has this happened? have you gone a week without losing even ONE pound?

thanks in advance.

Kimmy

Kimmy, I have not been here long enough to offer too much advice. I can only say, don't give up! You could turn around next week and maybe have a nice weight loss. Do you feel good? IF so, it is still a positive thing that you are doing!
Good Luck!
Helen
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: My Own Low Carb Plan
Stats: 230/227/140 Female 5'3"
BF:40.7%/40.2%/24.8%
Progress: 3%

I know exactly how you feel. I've been doing this diet since the beginning of the month (March). I lost 9lbs in the first 2 weeks. and for the last 2 weeks... nothing. I've actually gained back 2lbs. I just got over my TOM, so I'm hoping that is has something to do with that. I've been drinking all the water that I could possibly drink in a day. I've given up my love of Diet Pepsi because of the aspartame. I'm so incredibly discouraged.. I was about to quit this morning when I got on the scale. I'm going to stick it out for a little bit longer and hopefully something will come of it. Again, I know how you feel and I'm here for support if you need it
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 15:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My body retains so much water, at various times, that I look at my weight loss in month long trends. Last month, the low-end of the range was 178, the high end was 182.5. This month the low end is 176.5 and the high end is 179.5. So although I bounce around like mad, the overall trend is down.