Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 01:31

Plan: suzane somers
Stats: 115/115/105
BF:
Progress:
Default university meal plan

Hi everyone, I am in univeristy, I live in residence and I have to eat all of my meals at the cafeteria.
This makes it hard for me to find low-carb meals, as I have no choice in menus and cannot prepare my own meals.
Do you think it is hopeless?
At breakfast there is always omellets and scrambled eggs, and sausage... but if I ask the cafeteria ladies if there are milk or sugar or bread products in the sausages for example, they glare at me!. There is also porridge.
For lunch, the only remotely low-carb things there seem to be is:
soup, processed meat and cheese, and ceasar salad.
Basically, the things mentioned above, and fruit and unsweetened apple juice or orange juice are the only things I can eat; and they do not even seem low-carb enough....
should I eat yogurt?
all of the cereals are highly processed as well...
I'm also worried about getting osteoperosis, because before, the only time I drank milk was along side carbohydrates, or with cereal.

Please tell me what you think, or help suggest something if you can.
thanks alot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 04:31

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Luxy -

Find a low-fat buddy - eat meals with them and trade their meats for your potatoes - get the idea?

Sommersizing is going to be tough to do cafeteria style unless you take baggies with you and store the stuff you can't eat at that moment, but can eat later. On the other hand, you can keep fruits in your room and have those in the 20 minutes before meals - so that aspect isOK.

Now, I tried Sommersizing part way thru to my goal (I'm on Atkins) and I found that Sommersizing was probably a GREAT maintenance plan. But for me, not a good losing plan. ANY grain intake for me causes water weight gain, which was interferring with my monitoring loss.

However, I am already going back to some of the Sommersizing tips and incorporating them with my Atkins plan to evolve a decent ongoing maintenance plan.

And about the osteoperosis - broccoli and cheese are a good source of calcium if I remember correctly, and if you are still worried - take a calcium supplement along with your other supplements.

Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 10:12

BF:
Progress:
Default ?

but I thought you didn't have to worry about low-fat?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 10:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

she meant find someone who is following low fat and you give them your potatos and they'll give you their meat and higher fat stuff. That way you both win (or so the low fat follower thinks )

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 11:15

BF:
Progress:
Default gotcha

thanks everyone!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

I too am a university student. When I first started this diet, I was living in Whitehorse and going to Yukon College. The caf there was excellent in letting me have what I wanted and usually at a much better price (I am not sure why, I only had the good, expensive bits of the meals).

I have moved to Victoria to go to the university there and one day I went in and tried to order just the meal and veggies from the lunch special (it was all they had in that carb heaven) and I was told that I couldnt split it up. I said that I would pay for the whole meal, but I didnt want the potatoes or the bread. I was then told that it was not okay to do that and I would have to buy the whole thing and throw out the food that I didnt eat. I just left, went and bought some peanuts from the book store and never went back.

Have you tried telling them that you are allergic to gluten and sugar? I have found that I get a lot more cooperation from the small minded people if they figure that I have an medical condition, than if they think that I am just a fat person with no willpower to eat low fat and excersize.

Good luck with the diet and the school... midterms are now over where I am and thank the goddess for that...

Holly
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default special diet

I too know of a student who told the school she was allergic to certain foods and she ended up getting "better" treatment.

Perhaps if these foods cause you weight gain....maybe you do have a problem with them!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 159/128/125 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Re: university meal plan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by luxy
[B]Hi everyone, I am in univeristy, I live in residence and I have to eat all of my meals at the cafeteria.
This makes it hard for me to find low-carb meals, as I have no choice in menus and cannot prepare my own meals.
Do you think it is hopeless?

Hi Luxy -- with so little weight to lose - I think you should do exactly what you have suggested in your note -- do the very best you can given how little control you have over the ingredients in the meals. Make the best selections that are available to you and depend on exercise to help you out. If you are a typical college student you get lots of exercise just walking all over campus.
Best of Luck!
Anita
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Question What’s “univeristy”?

Quote:
Originally posted by luxy
Hi everyone, I am in univeristy
What’s “univeristy”?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 06:37

To Bill-the-spell-checker - A univeristy it's a place where you go for higher education. How's your prostrate?

Just goofin' around with ya Bill. The great thing about the internet is that we can make typos and people still LOVE each other.

Typos are to 2001 what fashion was to 1975. Gotta just close your eyes or go blind.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 14:23
Registered Member

Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Wink I see!

Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
To Bill-the-spell-checker - A univeristy it's a place where you go for higher education. How's your prostrate?
Oh I see! It's a kind of mexical school then! (I thought I was hallucinating...)
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 19:12

Stats: 175/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Smile luxy, I sympathize

I, too, am in college, and it is rather depressing to look at the menu for the week and see how limited my choices are. On some days, the only form of meat available is in something carb-filled, like a calzone. I don't know much about the Sommersize plan, but one thing I've found that helps with PP is breadless BLTs. I go to the grocery store and buy lettuce, tomatoes, and turkey bacon. Then I cook the bacon in the microwave (which leaves it crispy and w/o the rubbery fat) and use big pieces of lettuce in place of bread to hold it together. On PP, sometimes I feel like meat is the last thing I want to eat, but these BLTs are always good.

Good luck! You can do it!

Erin
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 16:53

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Thanks

Thanks to Bill and LC for the laughs.

Bill, you kill me. Don't hear much from you but then every so often you pop out of the woodwork or the the "net" with some little quip that sets me off laughing.

Sometimes checking the forum makes my day.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 18:24

You took the words out of my mouth, Homegirl.

I was thinking of asking Bill if he wanted to take this *show* on the road. We could be the next George and Gracie