Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 18:00
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%
Default Daddio's advice to new LC'rs

Wecome to the forum and good luck on your weight loss. I've sent basically this same post to a few newbies, so thought I might post it here so I don't have to retype it. If anyone has some other general words of wisdom..please add them and I'll try to update my post at some point.

You'll find all sorts of excellent advice on this forum, but I'll give you my thoughts...some based on my experience...some based on reading the experience of others.

Be strict with your induction, you will be rewarded with weight loss AND a big reduction in "cravings"

Take a MEGAvitamin every day. It really helps to shore up what your body may be missing.

Exercise, it's sooooo important if you want to lose quicker and if you want to permanently change your WOL (way of Life). It's really simple...if you're not eating carbs, and you burn more energy than the carbs you have, your body has to get them from SOMEWHERE...so it burns FAT...kinda cool.

READ THE LABEL's
READ THE LABEL"s (bears repeating twice)
Count ALL carbs except dietary fiber...sooooo many people get derailed with the little treats with 3g "net carbs"

Finally....find and stock an some stuff to handle the occasional craving.
- For a sweet tooth I used whip cream (the good stuff in the can) on SF jello or in a glass with ice cold diet root beer (root beer float)
- For a salt tooth either pork rinds or sunflower seeds. If it's sunflower seeds, get the ones in the shell. It's hard to overindulge 1 seed at a time.

Once you're done with induction......

Be prepared for a stall in weight loss...I stalled and many others have...take measurements of your body though, because many people (including myself) were still changing shape even though the weight wasn't changing.

Find a source of low carb totilla's (LaTortilla brand for me). Eating finger foods gets old after awhile.

At any time...start a journal and keep your daily thoughts..many people find it theraputic and as you get to know some people here..you'll have friends stopping by.

Welllllll.....That's my 2 cents (heh..prob more like $1.50)

Good luck..

C ya
Sponsored Links