Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 08:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/176/160
BF:
Progress:
Default LIVER

kind of new at this diet(3wks) someone told me that it is very bad for your liver, that it can't process all the protein. Is this true? How long is it safe to stay on 20 carbs a day or less? any suggested CRUNCH snack besides pork skins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 09:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Eincmom, I have been LCing for 3 months, that's not long compared to some who've been doing it for years, however I can safely vouch for them: They all have their livers and kidneys. I would strongly suggest that rather than falling prey to what "people are saying" about this WOE you educate yourself; it is your best defence. You would not drive a car w/o first learning how, it is the same for LCing. You should not start this WOE (Way of eating) without first reading the book for the plan you're following. It is quite safe to eat 20g of carbs indefinitely, if you're doing it right. But that being said, there is a lot more to LC than just eating 20g of carbs a day.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 11:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Gee, I've only heard about it being bad for your kidneys.

I've been LC for over two years and am in better health than I was at 20...

For crunchy, I had the same want when I first started. I would eat celery sticks, cucumbers, pickles and radishes, usually with a bit of chese or meat. Macadamia nuts in moderation are OK, but not on induction. Didn't discover pork rinds until I read Atkins. Like many other things that will change as you go deeper into this WOL - especially sugar cravings - you will lose your need for crunchy and will find protein snacks enough to satisfy.

I second Nat on being informed. You cannot follow the Atkins plan properly without having read the Atkins book.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 15:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/213/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up CRUNCHY

Found a recipe for "cheese crackers" on this forum.

Take a slice of cheese, put it in a bowl, and microwave for about 1:15. It melts, bubbles out lots of grease, and dried hard.

Verying sizes of cheese and strength of microwave....

Doesn't taste good black or brown - I take it out just when it seems to bubble big time for 5 seconds - then spatula it out and place it on a paper towel to degrease and cool off. I've been making 15 at a time and have them for two days or so. I refridgerate them too.

OR

The jerky recipe overcooked is like crunchy and salty. YUM YUM.

Have fun!