Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 05:12

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power Pals - Sunday - March 28

Welcome to the Protein Power Pals daily thread. All are welcome that are using, considering or curious about this WOE. We also welcome friends using other LC WOEs to drop by for some friendly conversation and a large glass of water.

My menu was a bit high in calories yesterday, but within PP guidelines. I don't have time to do the FitDay menus right now - will start again when I am able.

I'll be out-of-town most of today and maybe tomorrow.

Hope Mr. Bawdy's back is OK - keep us posted.

BTW, Bawdy your feeling about CAD parallel mine - While I rarely mention this, I have to check my blood sugar 6 times a day due to the metabolic problems I have (my pancreas experienced traumatic injury about a dozen yrs ago and doesn't always work right) While I was out-of-town hiking, I had a meal that was very much like the reward meal - and my blood sugar went to 192 within 20 minutes - and had dropped to 97 thirty minutes later... that is pretty conclusive evidence that what the authors say doesn't hold true for me as the only way my blood sugar dropped that quickly was an insulin spike. The CADD program does work for many people and I certainly wouldn't discourage people from trying it, but I'm not sure why it works... I don't buy the authors explaination.

Ellie:
I miss y'all as well. I hope to be back to posting more soon, but that not be in the cards.

Praying for your sppedy recovery Elaine.

Hi to all the other members - I need to get on the road...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 06:39

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good Sunday morning all!!

We were blessed with a good rain soaker! I am clomping around in MUD boots! I figure that it is a good workout!

CALVING 101
I just finished my shift, not much going on, we had 12 calves born yesterday, and had to put 6 in the shed, to muddy to get on a udder, and the winds were so strong that it chilled a few.(poor babies!) I thought that I would peek my head in now as today will be a CRAZY one with all of the hay to feed and the calves need to get tagged and their shots and be put out in our bigger pasture! Also then we cut in the very heavy mommas so they will be close to the house for watching ( preg. troubles, backwards calf, hoof caught, twins ec. we have only had triplets once, one was so delicate that it died right away and we put one on a mommma that had lost her babe) Since the drought we have sold some cows, we usually calve from Feb-May, We don't have heifers(first year moms) this year so our calf base is done to 250! Usually 300-340. we are officially at the 1/2 way mark now! We haven't had to pull very many either this year!!!

In May we brand them and move to a fresh pasture! Then it is off to farming and haying all summer!

Dawn, You are so funny! I USTO be a city girl, but (sorda like green acres)HA I joined my DH on his ranch and was converted! I love the cattle and have alot of pets, some know their names and follow me around (I fill my pockets with cake cubes) I do ocasionally miss the city life and working with the Red Cross, but I am with the love of my life living on a beautifull place,I can't complain!

Elaine, Hope to hear from you soon! Just take er easy for now and heal up! MISS YOU!!!

Renee, I am sorry to hear about your family facing difficult times, Our prayers are with you and yours!

Bawdy, May your dh be feeling better soon! You should write a book just on the cat stories alone! My dh does not have a great love for cats, BUT I have a house one anyway, sometimes he will sleep with us, but only on my side, HE KNOWS!!!

Wendy, Hey have fun!! and keep your spf30 on!!!

Ellie, You will have to give her some stay cool tips there!

I have to get going for today, everyone here is still asleep so it is my quiet time!

HELLO to everyone else here! Have a GOOD Day!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 06:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Happy Sunday! I just wanted to check in quickly before I am off to sunny and warm Phoenix. Ellie, I swear, you guys have the best weather in the world Have a great couple of days and I'll be back soon!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 07:57

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LISSETTE!

You may be a year older, but you're certainly not out to pasture yet. Oh, wait a minute, you are out to pasture!

I'm with you. I love the country life. The city holds no fascination for me. In Maine we have something like 11 murders a year. In Detroit, where I grew up, they practically have that each night! No, thank you.

There are certain things, though, that are annoying about living in a rural area. Good restaurants and good shopping locations are all an hour or more away. I know it sounds as if I'm high-maintenance, but not really. You should see me in the summer (the people at work don't believe it). Working around the house, I dress in ripped old clothes, no makeup, hair not combed, with a bandana tied "sweatband-like" around my head. I look like an old hippie!

Oh, I almost forgot! DH took me out yesterday so that I could pick out my birthday present: a digital camera! I've been wanting one for a long time, but we only got our last camera about 5 years ago and I thought he would think buying a new one would be frivolous. He said he was thinking about how I like to take pictures of all the pets, scan them into electronic format, and then set them up as my screensaver. He's actually very thoughtful when he sets his mind to it!

So anyway, I didn't get one. There were so many to choose from, and I didn't have a clue which one would be the best for me. I'm a "Consumer Reports" kind of gal! So I got home and did all my research. It's a toss-up between a Nikon Coolpix and an Olympus Camedia. The Nikon is a 2-megapixel model and the Olympus is a 3-megapixel model. According to the report, the 5-megapixel ones are for serious photographers or for those people who will be doing a lot of enlarging and manipulating of photos. That's not me. So why pay extra for bells and whistles you won't use?

I'll check down in the big city tomorrow at lunch to see if I can get a good price on one. Both are right around $200. Anyone have any advice?

PS: Didn't go to dinner last night; had Chinese takeout. And champagne. Advice: Don't do this at home, folks! The flavors didn't meld that well!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 08:26
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

We got the DATE Right!

Following on the 'cow' theme.........I will share my cow thoughts via a picture speaking a thousand words.

I actually prefer country living rather than in the city. When we look for a house to buy later this year, we will probably look outside the city limits.. with a fenced in yard for the dogs and for my cat to lay out in the sunny yard as well. I do love the convenience of living here in 'town'... but the traffic is getting very annoying, even just the drive 3 miles to my office can take 15 minutes... SERIOUSLY. And a trip to downtown atlanta, plan on it being an all day fiasco. Actually, you just have to learn to time it between the horrible rush hour.. which why is it singular? Atlanta's rush "hour" is a minimum of 3 hours in duration. Minimum. And what is up w/ the hover lane? That is supposed to save time for commuters.. well, half the time THAT lane is slower than the other lanes...

I am glad I am not a commuter!

Have a super Sunday.. going to go shower and head out .. see you all later!

P.s... a friend just messaged me.. told me she took a carb blocker so she could eat at a japanese restaurant last night. She is a diabetic that is not seeing a dr about it.. due to lack of funds, but eats out all the time. I asked her what her fasting bg was this morning after eating and using the blocker, her reply.. I dont know, I dont have any strips, I use my co workers meter once in awhile.
My reply to her: "if you buy the walmart meter, the strips are very iinexpensive.. like half of the others. worth skipping one meal out to buy them" ( she eats out every day )

It's all in priorities, but I do just want to 'slap' her sometimes.. and just say.. shut up, I dont care, you arent being proactive, you arent taking care of yourself, so what do you EXPECT your bg's to be? Then I feel mean..and small.. and have to just remember we are all at different points in our journeys. Still wanna slap the p outta her tho.. "my bad!"

Whats the heads up w/ those carb blockers anyways? Anyone have any experience w/ them? I havent done a stitch of research on them. Did restart taking some chromium p. tho yesterday, have to find what will be a good level to take of that.

Ok, for real this time..have a great day!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Sunday

Good morning everyone!

Sure sounds like a busy time for all!
Dawn: I tried the carb blockers once and they gave me terrible cramps!
Bawdy: Hope DH is OK
Lissette: Happy Birthday!
Renee: Sorry to hear about family troubles again. Good Luck!
Elaine: Hope you're doing OK!

Off to visit my folks today and will be gone for about 10 days.
Will miss you guys! I'll catch up when I get back!

Good Day to All!!!!!

Kat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 10:45

BF:

My take on Carb Blockers and Fat Blockers, etc. is DON'T. Snake oil, in my opinion.

Why not just block the carbs before they enter your mouth?

PS: DH is fine. He was just sore yesterday. Today our big chore is to hang an overhead light. We bought it the same weekend we got the car (yes, it has been a month). We took the other light down right away, and then found out the screws were too short for the new light. So I bought new ones, and then they're too long. I feel like Goldilocks here. So either DH has to cut these off or I have to scout out ones right in between (which the hardware store were out of). Why isn't anything ever easy?

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sun, Mar-28-04 at 11:02.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 10:57

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

I haven't been using fitday the past few days but I am sure I am ok calorie wise. Friday was a bit high for dinner as I had my beloved chicken wings which while awesome are high in calories

Yesterday's menu:
B - 2 eggs over easy in tsp butter, 2 oz lean ham, 1 slice lc cinnamon bread toasted w/tsp butter, 1 mug coffee w/H&H splenda

Gym - 45 minutes elliptical machine, 10 min abs

L - 1 cup keto flakes w/ 3/4 cup CCD 2% milk

S - String cheese, very small serving fresh fruit salad (melon, pineapple, grapes)

D - JITB (they were out of my salad!) grilled sourdough chicken club sandwich minus the bun and mayo, diet pepsi

Movies - 2 small slim jims, diet coke, 4 handfuls of DD's popcorn

Came home - 4 large stawberries sliced w/3 oz vanilla dannon L&F yogurt

Late night - 1 kondike low carb ice cream sandwich

I knew I shouldn't have had the popcorn but was still hungry from dinner I did use much self control to eat the small amount that I did but still not the best choice.

I was watching discovery health this am and they were following serveral dieters on different plans. The one that caught my eye was a lady who had been taking ehpedra diet pills for several years but decided to stop for health reasons. She over the course of a few weeks she had gained 8 pounds even while watching what she was eating.

Wendy - Have a great time!! LOL....I enjoyed your comment about the weather Clearly you have never been here in August Actually the locals here look foward to heat because it means that our 100,000+ winter vistors have gone back home I am one of them

Bawdy & Shelly - Hope you had a wounderful birthday!

Orang - Still sending prayers your way

Dawn - Here my take on carb blockers.....There is no magic pill in a bottle that will ever make it okay to eat high calorie/high carb foods without ill effects. Nor will these pills make eating refined flours and sugars more healthy. There is just no easy way, it takes discipline and hard work to lose and maintain weight. We all hope to find an easy way out and there just isn't one.

Praying for Elaine We miss you and hope you are up and about soon
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 12:07

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

good sunday morning everyone!!!

i went to a partylite party yesterday afternoon. the first time i was ever at one of those. (although i seem to remember going to a tupperware one with my mom when i was a kid). it turned out the the person that hosted it would win a prize if so many people booked parties of their own. so i did. my bf's mom wanted to go with me yesterday but coudn't. i asked the lady what would happen if i booked a party and only 1 person showed up (the bf's mom) and she said that's ok. i do like candles, so what the heck!!!(so anybody want to come??) when i get to thinking about it, i am really lacking in the friend department. i have a bunch throughout the states, but not very many locally!! i am going to have to do something about that.......just don't know what yet...

Dawn--about the carbblockers, i agreee with what was already said:
Quote:
There is no magic pill in a bottle
i would skip it and do like bawdy said and block the carbs from entering your mouth in the first place....

Ellie-- what movie did you see? the bf and i go to the movies pretty regularly, one of the few things we do as a "date".

Kat--have a good trip!!

i like the "country life" also. i am upset because i live on a dead-end street and there is a pasture next to me (3acres). well the pasture is for sale and the people that want to buy it are trying to re-zone it so they can build 15 yes that is right 15 houses on it!!!! so much for my quiet, dead end house with fields all around it. (out plot is about 1 acre)

Bawdy-- i find it ammusing every time i hear you talk about where you live. just think, every year i fly 3,000 miles just to vacation in the next town over from you!!!! and "going into town" for us is the wallmart in your town!!!! hehe

have a great sunday everybody!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 12:23

BF:

Aci, I know what you mean about not having friends close by. We know virtually no one here in town that I would consider a "friend" (that is, no one I would think about having over for dinner). All my work friends live well over an hour from us, and DH is a consultant, so his friends are all over the world! Makes it kind of lonely sometimes, huh?

I remember you saying you come out this way sometimes. Next time you do, definitely give me a call. I'd love to get together! Renee and her DH are planning on hiking the upper part of the Appalachian Trail this summer, which starts somewhere in Maine (still need to look that up). Wouldn't it be cool if we were all in the same part of the country at the same time! Think the world is ready for that?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:25

bawdy-- my vacation to the cabin is usually the last week in july and the first week in august. or somewhere very close to those 2 weeks.

when renee got done with her hike she could rest and relax at the lake with me and we could have you over for
some low carb lobster!!!! hehehe. (actually that just make my mouth water!!)
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 14:39

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Michele - We go to the movies alot too, not much else to do here Last night we went to see Dawn of the Dead It had its moments of humor I guess. Last weekend we saw Passion of Christ, very emotional . We have also seen Secret Window which was excellent! Johhny Depp was awesome.

Songs - What are your favorite workout songs, the ones that really get you moving?

Mine are: Fighter by Christina Aguilera
Lady Marmalade
Miss Independent - Kelly Clarkson
Hey Ya - OutKast

Bawdy - LOL.....boy I am I spoiled! The grocery store, tanning salon, gym, video store, beauty salon and nail salon are all within 1.5 miles from my house
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 14:44

ellie-- secret window is on my list. today we are taking the kids to scooby doo 2.

i don't have any favorite workout songs. anything that helps me stay moving is good.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 20:02

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

G'evening all

Question for you all....how many of you here do Pilates and/or Yoga? How do you like it, and what system do you use? I have read a lot use Mari Winsors program with good results.

I am going to the gym, and getting back into a weight routine. How would I incorporate this into my workout?

Robin
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 21:53

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%