Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 02:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265/200
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default What about chinese food?

How is chinese food if you eat like the chicken wings and beef terryacki, is that ok?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 05:18
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Chinese Food

I suppose that some of that, the wings and terriyaki steak on a stick aren't too bad, but they probably have some added sugar, that's why they taste so good. I find that once I get in the restaurant, I don't have the will power that I had before I walked in the restaurant, before I know it I'm having rice and egg roll and duck sauce and I've blown the whole thing for the day. But, at least I can get back on track the next day and not use a special meal as an excuse to keep on being "bad". Though, come to think of it, I haven't been bad for a while with Chinese food. It's probably because I moved to a new town and haven't eaten out much since.

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 06:58

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Karen:

Chinese food is a great concept when you consider deep fried meats and stirfrys. So if you make it yourself you can be confident about the ingredients and leave out the illegal stuff.

Unfortunately, restaurants use lots of ingredients that are no-nos during induction - namely sugar and flour. Once past induction you can make educated choices, or find a favourite restaurant and *train them*.

I have a regular Asian place that I frequent where they make everything in front of you and from scratch, and they see me coming. I always order the Asian soup, and ask for the noodles separate. I take the noodles home for the dogs, and enjoy the soup with chicken, squid, shrimp and veggies.

If I am *stuck* at a strange Chinese restaurant (bear in mind I used to LOVE to eat Chinese), I make educated choices of the lesser of evils --- I might choose beef and brocoli stir frys and such, but even those have sugar in them.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 12:43

Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default My restaruant trick

When I go for chinese or in any new restaurant I always call the manager over and advise them that I am either diabetic or allergic to all bad things and what would they suggest that I eat. Of course I give some shmooze about how great I'm told the food is here so I really dont want to miss anything really great. They all fall for it and I get my LC food done the way I need it and everyone is happy since I keep coming back and saying hello to the manager every time I go.

I am partial to dry stirfried stringbeans with ground pork, shrimp with peapods and macadamia nut beef. It's all so yummy but as mentioned before make sure you select wisely.

Shannon
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 14:10

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default asking

I agree, I know a personal chef in a Chinese Restaurant and all you have to do is ask them for your preferences and they are pleased to keep you happy. I tell them not to add starch and sugar. The sauces are thin, but they still taste great. If you find you need a little sweetener, there is usually some on your table or available (for coffee).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 03:42

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Heyy thats cool~~~

So many pple down here love chinese food hoho....

but it is true that chinese cooking frequently uses flour, starch and sugar....just check out those authentic chinese speciality dishes....

Personally, being in a chinese dominant Singapore and I am chinese....it is hard to stay on the Atkins . And so many weird looks at me having beef soup without noodles etc. Or even having my curry mutton without rice or bread. Moreover the staple food is rice.....

And with Malay food, Indian food, all sorts of international foods, it is simply irresistable! I swear I still like the Indian Roti Prata that is a flour pancake washed down with curry. But gotta take it only once in a blue moon...

Unless I head down to a japanese restaurant and wolf down nice and slick sashimi pieces....no rice just raw fish.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 14:20

Plan: Atkins, General low carb
Stats: 190/189/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I love getting chinese delivered when I've had a long day at the office. I tend to get the Egg Foo Young....a great chinese omelet and I can't detect anything bad in it. Now, I'm not sure about the sauce, but it's definitely not sweet...may have corn starch though, so I scrape most of it off.