Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 12:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 175/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Am I crazy?

Okay--a brief history (very brief). I started PP on Thursday (caved at the end of the day and had Easy Mac). The same day, I bought the Atkin's Lifeplan book, and read it. So yesterday, I was bound and determined to do the Induction diet. BUT I really felt sick with so few carbs by 10 PM that I thought I was going to faint (I have hypoglycemia, maybe that had something to do with it). So I went to the grocery store and bought turkey bacon and lettuce and tomatoes, came back to my room, and made a breadless BLT.

I don't think the Atkins plan is for me. I've done the PP thing before and it worked nicely (gave it up because of college), and I think I'll be much happier with that. The idea of eating only meat and salad for two weeks is not one I like. PP, on the other hand, is better for me. I like the idea that I can have some sugar, as long as I don't go over 30g. I can live with that. But I do have a question--PP says that cutting carbs below 30g/day is pointless because they don't add that many calories. Can anyone give me a comparison--do people on the PP diet lose less in the first two weeks than those on the Atkins plan?

OH!! The reason for my subject. Before I wrote this, I weighed myself, and I apparently lost 5.5 pounds. In two days? Is it water weight? Either way, I'm very excited about that. And another exciting thing--at the beginning of the year, I noticed that my cheekbones weren't as visible as they used to be, and yesterday I looked in the mirror and realized that my face isn't so chubby. I don't think THAT is because of LC, but because I've been working out daily for the last month.

Have a great day!
Erin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 13:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Erin

I am on PP like many on this board. I don't think there's much difference between PP and Atkins when you first start out. IF you think about it Atkins advises keeping carbs to 20g but maintains that eggs and cheese are "free foods" So if you're counting your carbs and not including those in eggs and cheese etc, you're closer to 30 and right on board with PP. The major differences are the caffeine and alcohol that PP permits and Atkins doesnt.

I lost 16 lbs in the first 2 weeks with PP and have continued to lose approx 3 lbs a week since then. I will admit this is considerably faster than most, but I do exercise quite a bit.

Yes, most of what you've lost thus far has been water. BUT it's water you didnt need, excess. On induction you tend to lose quite a bit of water weight and some body fat. After those first 2 weeks you are losing body fat and this is why the loss slows down so much. YOu're still losing the same amount of fat you lost on induction, but there is no water to up the numbers you see falling off the scales. The important thing is that you are losing body fat and not lean muscle mass as with low fat/ low calorie. Max body fat loss per week is around 2lbs and thats safest. 2 lbs a week is still 8 - 10 lbs a month. The goal of LC is permanent weight loss, not quick weight loss and therefor slower can actually be better, it affords you the time to learn a new set of behaviours and a new way to eat.

Best of luck to you,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 16:15

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default Nat, what's your exercise plan?

I was reading thru this thread and saw that you said you've lost about three lbs. a week...tell me your secrets
Since I joined the Christmas Challenge, I've been thinking about how I can lose 3 lbs. a week (3.125 lbs. exactly)...earlier this morning I read a post that just exercising a bunch is actually counterproductive and it sounds like you found a good (actually a great) middle ground...

Thanks for the any info

Actually I found your exercise journal...thanks

Last edited by Erin4980 : Sun, Oct-28-01 at 19:50.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 19:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 175/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 25%

Natrushka,

Thanks for the info. I am just getting through these days, figuring out what I can and can;t do. Last night, I kinda freaked out and ate a cookie (31g carb) and some candy. Then I felt terrible and I know I won't be doing that anytime soon. Today, I didn't have time to eat much until 4pm, and as a result I got extremely dizzy and thought I was going to faint. Now, after eating two (bun-less) cheesburgers, I feel better.

I took my measurements last night and was rather appalled. But after learning from you that I can lose 2lbs of fat a week, I feel better--PP says that 6 lbs of fat takes up a gallon of space.

One thing that strikes me as odd--I've read countless fitness magazines, and the impression I get from reader's letters and success articles is that a woman who is 5'5'' and weighs 170 pounds would be much larger than myself. One woman was y height (5'5'') and weighed .5 lb more, and she wore a size 26! I, on the other hand, am not even close to a 26. How is this possible? Could it be that I have more muscle weight (I have quite nice muscles under the flab!)?

Oh--I get to go back to exercising tomorrow! I've been away from the gym for a week, and I miss it! I'm curious as well--what is your exercise routine?

Thanks and happy low carbing,
Erin
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 16:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/127/115
BF:
Progress:
Default strong muscles

Yes erinkaupp muscles weigh more than fat.

I have been an athlete for many years and my cousins who are non-athletes are often shocked to hear that my max weight was 140...they never would have guessed more than 125 or so, because I was so muscular, I fit into a more compact space. ;-)

So don't worry about how big some standard says you should be at your weight. Good luck with LC-ing! The first week is hard but after that the energy boost will keep you going!!!

-hockeygirl
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 19:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: strong muscles

Quote:
Originally posted by hockeygirl
Yes erinkaupp muscles weigh more than fat.

A common misconception A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same, a pound. But that same pound of muscle takes up 1/3 the space of the pound of fat. A more muscled person will weigh more but occupy less space.

Erin you sound like you're in the same boat I am...having exercised for many years I have a lot of muscle mass, at my current weight of 198 I wear anything from a 14 to a 16. Also keep in mind where you store the fat is another issue; I tend to keep the damned stuff all over; someone with an apple shape will wear a different size from someone weighing the same who boasts a pear shape.

As Hockeygirl says, don't worry about what a scale or the general public says you should weigh. Go by your measurements, they will tell a more honest story.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 15:54

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

............hence the riddle what weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?