Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/260/170 Male 5'-9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Some stupid questions, forgive me if you're sick of hearing them.

I got the book about a month ago, read it, did some research (via the Internet for whatever that's worth) and started last weekend. I've got a couple of questions.

1.) I've had like a dull headache since the first day.

2.) I have been exhausted ever since I started, though now nearly a week into it, I'm starting to feel a little better, is it normal to be so tired?

3.) My family is on the go, I'm constantly running kids here, there, and yon, is there ANY fast food place I get something to eat, i.e., get a burger at Wendy's and just eat the burger, or a salad or something?

4.) The first two days were horrible, I felt like I was starving, that seems to have subsided.

TIA,
BFP
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:51
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFP
1.) I've had like a dull headache since the first day.

Possible reasons are a) body adjusting to LC WOE, it takes a little longer with some people; b) not enough water; c) you are sensitive to your own ketones.

If c), then a lot of water sometimes helps. Sometimes it doesn't. I had a headache on Atkins until I was on OWL and started moving up my carb intake. It finally went away altogether when I reached 35 carbs/day.

Quote:
2.) I have been exhausted ever since I started, though now nearly a week into it, I'm starting to feel a little better, is it normal to be so tired?

Yes. It's also normal to start feeling better at the end of the first week. Many people also get a surge of energy somewhere at the end of week 1, or during week 2.

Quote:
3.) My family is on the go, I'm constantly running kids here, there, and yon, is there ANY fast food place I get something to eat, i.e., get a burger at Wendy's and just eat the burger, or a salad or something?

Yep, just eat the burger. Watch the cheese and ketchup on Induction, it can add up. With prepared salads, be really careful with the dressing, or bring your own LC dressing.

Quote:
4.) The first two days were horrible, I felt like I was starving, that seems to have subsided.

That was your body dumping its muscle glycogen and preparing to go into ketosis. You shouldn't have that problem again unless you kick yourself fully and completely out of ketosis.

hth

Emily
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:09

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi there yes it does get better. Did you cut coffee, that can cause headaches.

Also when you are on the run, be prepared, take along a stick of pepperoni, a few chunks of cheese, even a boiled egg with some mayo put in the center.

Run into a deli, get a few slices of good cold meats, not to fatty or salty, also get a thin slice of nice cheese, roll them together.

I've been maintaining for 7 months now and I still pack around a little bag of almonds everywhere I go, that and my water bottle of course!

Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:45

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Carls Jr. now has their low carb burgers, there's like 5 varieties, plus just about every fast food place has salads. You can also eat a burger from anywhere and just leave the catsup and bun. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:55

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Burger King serves low carb whoppers-- regular, double, or chicken-- with lettuce and tomato in a little plastic tray.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:59

Stats: 260/260/170 Male 5'-9"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the replies. I've always been a big water drinker, I'm drinking about 5 liters a day now. Never been a coffee drinker either. I'll keep at it, those first two days were killer though.

Thanks,
BFP
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 23:04

Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

The sugar crash can drag you down. Don't know what your diet was like before you started, but mine was full of sugar (hidden and otherwise). I had a horrible sugar crash within the first 48 hours. I sat on my couch and shivered. But after that I started feeling tons better and now have more energy than ever! Good luck to you!

Vicki B.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 05:27

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Oh yeah... Mine sugar withdraw was bad!!!! Were talking I lived on sweets. Gum, candy gummy worms, coffee.... It was a rough few days with the headache, dizziness..
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I've also read that the fatigue can be due to a low level of magnaesium and potassium. Make sure you take those multi vitamins!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 11:55

Stats: 300/236/180 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Be careful if you get the grilled chicken salad at McDonalds.......the grilled chicken alone has 4.5 carbs........I didn't realize this until I had eaten one plus the dressing....then looked up the carb count. I assumed the chicken would be carb-less........

Happy low-carbing! Missy
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 12:19

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I thought I was dying the first week. It almost felt like having a severe flu, with heart palpitations thrown in just for fun. It started to clear up by the middle of the second week for me and then I felt wonderful

McD's is the hardest to grab a burger at since they put their cheese so it sticks to the bun, and their burgers are small.
I like getting a double at wendy's with everything but ketchup and tomatoes, then I take the bottom burger and put it on top of the toppings. Hold it with the wrapper and don't forget napkins
Burger king is good too, but haven't tried their lc stuff.
Mcd's salads are great with real grilled chicken, but the dressings are way too high carb. Wendy's salads have tiny shreds of meat on them and I refuse to pay their prices for 3 pieces of boiled chicken.

I'm sure you'll feel better soon
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:09

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

my sugar withdrawal was bad too! hubby ran away for days!! I really was tired the first couple weeks...then all the sudden you notice you have energy!!

you might want to check your fat intake...It was so hard for me to add fat into my diet...but I had tons more energy the days I did, I also lose more weight when I eat fatter meals(go figure ) so slobber on the butter, and olive oil and all the other yummy stuff you never ate before

also if you are on the run alot keep a snack with you!! it really helps you not to be tempted...then soon most of the temptations stop and it gets easier

good luck!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 23:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

I literally was at death's door for a couple of weeks. I felt like I was a drug addict coming off of crack. My blood sugar was so spiked from so much sugar and high carb lifestyle for so long it was pure hell and I am not exaggerating. Getting that stuff out of your system is no easy thing to do but once you get it out you will feel better. The reason you know it does bad things to you is after a year off of a lot of that stuff if you eat something high carb high sugar again you literally become ill for days (or at least I do) Hang in there and PLAN really well to have safe food with you at all times b/c that way you won't cheat. Go to wendy's and order jr.bacon cheeseburger no ketchup. Take the bread off and wrap it up with the lettuce. Order several of them if you need to.